Rumor: GT500 BASE MSRP is 67k

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Everyone is Easter egg hunting for the latest fake news.
Or a knee jerk response to something unrelated to this thread via a voodoo argument.

Up early and back to the grind tomorrow. I hope everyone had a nice holiday. Let's hope there is some news soon on the 500.
Sponsored

nametoshowothers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
description of cars
Fully agree. Nobody needs to take apart a ferrari engine to build an engine period. All skills exist in house.

Why they take it apart is to validate design premises and to understand tolerances.

Besides the voodoo has different firing order, different intake and exhaust..... etc.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Fully agree. Nobody needs to take apart a ferrari engine to build an engine period. All skills exist in house.

Why they take it apart is to validate design premises and to understand tolerances.

Besides the voodoo has different firing order, different intake and exhaust..... etc.
And there was reason for that too. Lack of real estate under the hood IIRC. So back to the voodoo argument in the GT500 thread...... slow times

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Because that is exactly what benchmarking is. When I was at GM we had a room at Powertrain HQ that contained disassembled engines and transmissions from practically every competitor. Part of my job was to tell the benchmarking guys which vehicles to buy and what the powertrain configuration should be. Benchmarking is done to identify where everybody stands with regards to a number of issues... Mass, cylinder spacing, wall thickness, fastening methods, manufacturing methods et cetera. It was (is...it’s still there even though I am not) a physical library of sorts. All the parts are made available for anybody with proper clearance to come in, inspect the parts, read the write ups.
I did an internship at Harrison Radiator in college in ~1987. I remember walking through a number of garages where GM engineers were disassembling/assembling various non-GM cars and trucks. I remember telling the guy I was under that I felt like GM was cheating. He laughed and said that everyone reverse engineers, not just GM. It was also my introduction to the UAW. The workers in the plant seemed like the laziest group of people I had ever seen, and this was a huge radiator manufacturing facility.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I did an internship at Harrison Radiator in college in ~1987. I remember walking through a number of garages where GM engineers were disassembling/assembling various non-GM cars and trucks. I remember telling the guy I was under that I felt like GM was cheating. He laughed and said that everyone reverse engineers, not just GM. It was also my introduction to the UAW. The workers in the plant seemed like the laziest group of people I had ever seen, and this was a huge radiator manufacturing facility.
Lockport or Buffalo? I high school co-oped out of the Buffalo plant before I went to GMI. Visited Lockport a couple times. Then when I went to GMI and co-oped out of Buick in Flint, the Buick HQ and the Harrison Radiator HQ in Lockport were carbon copies of each other.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lockport.

Sadly, it is a mere shell of what it used to be.

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
Let's not derail this now debunked MSRP rumor thread any further.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully we are only a week or so away from the details.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
If you compare the 2014 GT500 to the 2014 ZL1, you will see the Ford has a lower MSRP. I would expect the starting MSRP of the GT500 to still be lower than the current generation ZL1.

Not sure why Ford would change that.

People keep spouting all these super high prices. Ford has never done that in the past. Not sure why they would suddenly change now.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
If you compare the 2014 GT500 to the 2014 ZL1, you will see the Ford has a lower MSRP. I would expect the starting MSRP of the GT500 to still be lower than the current generation ZL1.

People keep spouting all these super high prices. Ford has never done that in the past. Not sure why they would suddenly change now.

Because Ford is in a position of dominance in terms of sales for this market segment, and that's with often times an equal/higher price and/or from Chevy with a comparable vehicle from a lower price option bracket.

Ford will have (very likely) a superior product vs. the ZL1, with better market and brand positioning - they don't need to a __lower__ MSRP.

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287

Because Ford is in a position of dominance in terms of sales for this market segment, and that's with often times an equal/higher price and/or from Chevy with a comparable vehicle from a lower price option bracket.

Ford will have (very likely) a superior product vs. the ZL1, with better market and brand positioning - they don't need to a __lower__ MSRP.
I have said this before, but logically the determining factor will be the cost of the GT350. I just can't imagine a base GT500 being cheaper than a GT350 R. I expect it to be in the same ballpark.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I have said this before, but logically the determining factor will be the cost of the GT350. I just can't imagine a base GT500 being cheaper than a GT350 R. I expect it to be in the same ballpark.

It's a bit more complex than just being informed by an existing product price, all sort of cost basis, market, EOS (especially if the 5.2L sees other uses), etc., I get they don't want to create an odd product overlap, though a 350R is more like the CFTP (with an ~$8K premium for carbon components). My previous point: Ford isn't factoring in the ZL1 MSRP as part of the pricing, other than (the aforementioned) pricing being one price with a larger market segment, where they have a good lead.
Sponsored