From GT 350 to GT 350R

OP
OP

VoodooPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold 2011 GT, Sold 2016 GT 350, 2018 GT 350R JR034
I had a 16 Track pack that was tracked. I wanted to gain performance near R capabilities with mods. The cost difference of modding or buying the R to me was a no brainer. The CF "wheels alone are worth the price of admission." Matt Farah
As far as performance goes, I purchased a base R, #33 of 526 for 2016. IMO night and day difference between the two cars. Wheels biggest factor, everything else in suspension and weight compliments the car. Night and day. Oh! I forgot! I am significantly faster in the R at my local track.
How many seconds faster were you at the track? How big is the track?
Sponsored

OP
OP

VoodooPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold 2011 GT, Sold 2016 GT 350, 2018 GT 350R JR034
I did test drive the R on the street, but never tracked. The R will definitely be a better track car, but the regular 350 is a better street car... for many reasons mentioned above; for me, the suspension felt significantly firmer on the R and our roads are horrible. I am sure I would scratch and damage those expensive wheels..
And then was the price; at the time, I could not swallow close to 80k price... For another 10k, I could jump into a F430, which is probably my next car.
Looking now at prices, today; I could probably justify a jump to an R if I would track at least once a month...
I would look into the maintenance cost of an F430 before making that move....$5k-10k scheduled service is a regular thing with those.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
That would depend on if these cars become collectables in the future or depreciate to the point where they are just a car. The view points are interesting to me, as I was considering bumping up to an R from a 16 track pack. In addition to driving, looking at, occasionally tracking, I'm also kind of a collector, hence the 302 LS, Bullitt, GT500 etc. I'm still on the fence, if the right deal came along I would take it no doubt.
If you are a Mustang collector obviously you are aware that low production numbers is one of the key elements to having a collectible Mustang aside from engine options, delete options, color combinations, two seat options and so on.

You have a nice collection of Mustangs with the rarest Mustang in my opinion being your 2013 Laguna Seca and depending on your color combination it is either one of 262 SBY or 501 Black cars.

Ford did produce 1 Candy Apple Red LS and 1 Gray LS for the 2013 MY but those will not be changing hands anytime soon.

Ford built a total of 787 LS cars for the 2012MY and 765 LS cars for the 2013MY.

I almost bought a 2007 GT500 back in the day but with 10,844 cars built for the 2007MY don't count on that car being collectible anytime soon.

If you are serious about purchasing an R model as a collectible Mustang Ford only produced 2138 cars from 2015 thru 2018 with 2003 of those R models coming with the Electronics Package and 135 as Base R's therefore I would suggest an R model would be a terrific addition to your cool collection of Mustangs.

:like::like:

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2019 Roushcharged F150, 2016 GT350R, 2013 Boss 302LS, 2009 GT/CS, 2000 Cobra R, 1995 Cobra R
Vehicle Showcase
If you are a Mustang collector obviously you are aware that low production numbers is one of the key elements to having a collectible Mustang aside from engine options, delete options, color combinations, two seat options and so on.

You have a nice collection of Mustangs with the rarest Mustang in my opinion being your 2013 Laguna Seca and depending on your color combination it is either one of 262 SBY or 501 Black cars.

Ford did produce 1 Candy Apple Red LS and 1 Gray LS for the 2013 MY but those will not be changing hands anytime soon.

Ford built a total of 787 LS cars for the 2012MY and 765 LS cars for the 2013MY.

I almost bought a 2007 GT500 back in the day but with 10,844 cars built for the 2007MY don't count on that car being collectible anytime soon.

If you are serious about purchasing an R model as a collectible Mustang Ford only produced 2138 cars from 2015 thru 2018 with 2003 of those R models coming with the Electronics Package and 135 as Base R's therefore I would suggest an R model would be a terrific addition to your cool collection of Mustangs.

:like::like:
I'm more of a pseudo collector, I got each of the cars to enjoy with no expectation of increasing in future value. If I would have wanted my investment to grow, I would have invested the money in a Vanguard growth fund. Mustangs are all about fun! I would not trade up to an R model for future collectability, the only reason would be for an increase in performance for the few track days I can get to with my work schedule. And because they are cool!

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
It's interesting to hear Auto Fanatic's recent video on the GT350 (non-R) and his prediction that a pristine GT350 (non-R) will be valued around $150K - $250K in the next 10-15 years. FWIW, the 9-minute mark:

Usually I’d start into my “cars are bad investments” rant but considering the push for electric and the generally nutty world we live in...anything is possible. The 350 definitely registers as one of the more unique and desirable cars in recent history...and if car culture changes dramatically in the next 5 years, cars like this could either go way up or become worthless.

Sponsored

zzrat

Threads
Reaction score
Deerfield,Indiana Land of Moonshine & Critters
Vehicle(s)
GR245 Radioless
Being one of the 135 Base R's we sought out & purchased 2nd hand. Always been a high performance pony nut & when the 350 was introduced it seemed destined to become one to have as time marches on. Did not buy it thinking it would increase in $$$ it was for the purpose to enjoy something that I've never experienced & that is to track a car. From the moment of reading, seeing the Base R on the Ford "build your car" site it certainly had the "cool" factor in my book. There was recently a 17' Base R that sold out of Texas for $62K, a very low milage same as new car. There may be some great deals in the near future for some R's with the GT 500 nearing dealer lots. Good Luck!

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
Well I just recently experienced the difference between and R and Non-R. I bought an 18 R back in Oct. Just got back from Ford Performance School. My R is a stiffer ride hands down but not uncomfortable...for me anyway. MY R is louder on the RPM excel up and coming on the down. The R does crack and pop on the decel more. It was interesting to hear some of the guys from CA who attended school with me actually say there was no difference in sound in their opinion. Totally not the case imo. I think maybe it's because of the octane offered in CA vs the 93 octane offered everywhere in the free state of TX. The R loves the 93 I put in. On the track I felt the R accelerates faster and definitely brakes and has better turn in...a lot better. At speeds of 100 or more the R has far more responsive steering due to the combo of aero, suspension, wheels, tires. I guess pretty much everything that makes an R an R right... The Non-R is no slouch obviously but the R inspires way more confidence and has more grip. It's on the extreme end of the spectrum. If you push the car to that spectrum then the benefits over the Non-R are realized.

I am one of those who chose to purchase a set of Signature wheels and custom lugnuts from Terrance. So, ya I will be taking off my CF wheels for normal commuting to protect them. Those tires have picked up two screws since 2500 miles of ownership. It was pretty nerve racking to find a good shop to replace tires on the those rims. I would suggest knowing the tread depth standards for "track tires" vs non track tires. A lot of places want to fail the tire because they don't understand it's a track tire vs all others. Now that I've got my guy, I tip him well. He has saved me money and does the job to perfection. He has successfully dismounted, mounted and balanced my Sig wheels and my CF wheels. He's the manager and he's the only guy I trust with my wheels now. If you live in north TX just PM me and I'll give details.

I could have gotten a heck of a deal on LB 350 sitting next to my R. $3-4k off at the time. Or my R for a shade under MSRP. Felt like a no brainer to go the R route. I'll be honest tho, I had to sleep on it. Wasn't real excited to get back into a black car living in TX. But, I decided I do things differently with the stripe delete R. Paint correction and ceramic protection had to be done for my sanity of black car ownership. I absolutely love my R. I drive it and enjoy it knowing it's not going anywhere.

Last edited:

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
I would look into the maintenance cost of an F430 before making that move....$5k-10k scheduled service is a regular thing with those.
That is very incorrect. There is no scheduled service anywhere close to that price. All fluids will be about $1500 at a dealer, but you can do easy stuff yourself for a couple hundred (oil, brakes, ect).

If you take it to a dealer for every little issue, yes it’ll add up. Main thing to check isn’t headers (known issue), carbon brakes (disgustingly expensive to replace but not an issue for street driving), and clutch life.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
That is very incorrect. There is no scheduled service anywhere close to that price. All fluids will be about $1500 at a dealer, but you can do easy stuff yourself for a couple hundred (oil, brakes, ect).

If you take it to a dealer for every little issue, yes it’ll add up. Main thing to check isn’t headers (known issue), carbon brakes (disgustingly expensive to replace but not an issue for street driving), and clutch life.
I am confident I can do any work on it, apart from clutch, which requires special tools from what I read .. If I get one with a replaced clutch, which seems to go at roughly 20-30k miles, depending on usage, I'll be set for at least 3 years, with the amount of miles I rack up (done 10500 miles in 2 years on my GT350, and I would not do less on the Ferrari) . The 6 speed manuals (real stick manuals) are rare as hen's teeth and require a 30k premium most of the time, out of my reach.

Sponsored

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
I am confident I can do any work on it, apart from clutch, which requires special tools from what I read .. If I get one with a replaced clutch, which seems to go at roughly 20-30k miles, depending on usage, I'll be set for at least 3 years, with the amount of miles I rack up (done 10500 miles in 2 years on my GT350, and I would not do less on the Ferrari) . The 6 speed manuals (real stick manuals) are rare as hen's teeth and require a 30k premium most of the time, out of my reach.
Then it’ll likely be quite affordable, and even if you get a pretty serious problem, the car will hold value exceptionally well. I have had a 360 f1 for almost 9 years now with no big issues. Stuff like door latches seizing are $900 at a dealer or $225 diy but takes some patience —- my car is 18 years old now though, generally all perfect, but you have to expect little things that dealer charges big money to fix. A good Indy goes a long way at 60% or less the dealer price! All this said, I did a couple track days with it, awesome fun but the brakes are inadequate and that kinda abuse concerned me enough to get the R, with an 8 year warranty and wheel warranty for $4k total for both ;). Peanuts for 8 years of tracking fun without breakdown or pothole concerns (wheel warranty is 5 years max though, but already replaced a rear tire with screw).

My f1 clutch lasted 27k miles but 22k of that was with prior owners. F1 clutched will generally wear faster than manual counterparts (which yes are a huge price premium now). I’m at 41k miles now with about 85% clutch life left (have a feeling the read out drops faster later in life ;) - I do have a CS Tcu so that helps wear and speed)

Sorry for OT, feel free to PM or start a different thread so we don’t offrail too much.

slikk66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt350, 1966 Mustang Coupe
At speeds of 100 or more the R has far more responsive steering due to the combo of aero, suspension, wheels, tires. I guess pretty much everything that makes an R an R right...
Curious if the 2019 non-R will be closer here, as I believe all those have been modified compared to 2018.

Here's hoping so :D

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Howmany seconds faster were you at the track? How big is the track?
Barber MSP, both cars in the spring, R running about 5 seconds faster. My R is a base and weighs almost 200lbs less than my track pack did. The feel of the car is incredible. The feel is greatly attributed the the CF material, lightness of the wheel and all the different bits that make up the R suspension. Night and day difference with both cars. Ultimately the cars instills so much more confidence you feel as you are billy Johnson lol the track pack was and is an amazing car and I am sure the 19 350 will be as well. But tires Alone will not get you near the R feel alone or performance. I know o e guy in particular who is essentially transformed his tech pack car into a race car and he struggled keeping up with the R. He has a built engine know making 500+ to the wheels N/A and now has the upper hand. You don't even want to know what he has spent in mods not to include how engine lol

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
Curious if the 2019 non-R will be closer here, as I believe all those have been modified compared to 2018.

Here's hoping so :D
The improvements on the 19 GT350 are great. If I was still shopping, and the choice was between a real good deal on a Perf Blue/Black top 350 and an R for MSRP, the choice would've been harder than it was originally. Hard to say out right what I would've done. There's no mistaking the R and it exclusivity. I was not worried about the extra coinage for the R package and I don't feel hard pressed to justify it every time someone asks. You get it or you don't.

dom418

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2) 20 HEP-R, 20 Velocity Blue 350R, 20 Lime 350R
I still can’t understand buying an R and changing the rims. A forged set with tires will be $6,000. All this the prevent a what if? And at the expense of taking away one of the best parts that makes and R an R

I don’t piss $6,000 but for what I’ll use my car for, I’ll keep the CF Wheels
Sponsored