Sponsored

From GT 350 to GT 350R

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
That would depend on if these cars become collectables in the future or depreciate to the point where they are just a car. The view points are interesting to me, as I was considering bumping up to an R from a 16 track pack. In addition to driving, looking at, occasionally tracking, I'm also kind of a collector, hence the 302 LS, Bullitt, GT500 etc. I'm still on the fence, if the right deal came along I would take it no doubt.
It's interesting to hear Auto Fanatic's recent video on the GT350 (non-R) and his prediction that a pristine GT350 (non-R) will be valued around $150K - $250K in the next 10-15 years. FWIW, the 9-minute mark:

Sponsored

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2019 Roushcharged F150, 2016 GT350R, 2013 Boss 302LS, 2009 GT/CS, 2000 Cobra R, 1995 Cobra R
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think the op is looking to buy this car to be a collector piece. An R will hold much better value than any other Mustang even the standard GT350. That hould be important to any car buyer. I had my car appraised for a possibl trade in on a 2015 GT3. I was offered almost 65K with 11k miles at the time. That was just a couple of months ago. I didn't do no where near as well when I got rid of my 16 track pack with 8k miles.
It wasn't my intention to derail the thread into an argument of collectability and speculation. I was trying to find out if there was enough real world performance difference for me to consider the upgrade. I guess I will have to find one I can drive.

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2019 Roushcharged F150, 2016 GT350R, 2013 Boss 302LS, 2009 GT/CS, 2000 Cobra R, 1995 Cobra R
Vehicle Showcase
It's interesting to hear Auto Fanatic's recent video on the GT350 (non-R) and his prediction that a pristine GT350 (non-R) will be valued around $150K - $250K in the next 10-15 years. FWIW, the 9-minute mark:

I highly doubt that it will be true but I'll certainly be happy if it is.

Next Phase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopar
But will I see $15-20k worth of extra performance? Looks are great but red badges and brakes are easy to install. I understand the exclusivity and all but if I drop the jingle on a R, I want to feel a difference.
The Carbon Fiber wheels and spoiler retail for more than $15k-$20k (at least 2 years ago they did). The brakes are the same, just different color.

Drive them both and you tell me.

From experience, the R feels like a different car. It feels more connected and 500 lbs lighter. The CF wheels are amazing and you can feel the difference on the street (and more so on track). When I swap out to my BC Forged wheels (on Cup 2's) the car feels heavier.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
From experience, the R feels like a different car. It feels more connected and 500 lbs lighter. The CF wheels are amazing and you can feel the difference on the street (and more so on track). When I swap out to my BC Forged wheels (on Cup 2's) the car feels heavier.
You should probably get rid of the forged wheels and use the carbon fiber ones. Seems like a waste to have the carbon fiber wheels just sitting around. From everything I've read, they are the biggest difference between the GT350 and R version, and they are what makes the R so amazing to drive.

Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
You should probably get rid of the forged wheels and use the carbon fiber ones. Seems like a waste to have the carbon fiber wheels just sitting around.
I track my CF wheels. I drove on the CF wheels until I was run off the road and curbed both wheels. No biggie. Insurance paid to have them replaced. However, because of that in incident I will no longer street ride the CF wheels. To much hassle to go through for repair or replacement. So I purchased a set of disposable wheels and tires.

Last edited:

Onyx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R, Acura RDX
I had a GT350 and had a few mods done,
Ford Performance springs
Ford Performance AOS both sides
Ford performance filter ( airaid )
Vorshlag CC plates
Steeda Gtrac brace
Steeda Clutch spring
BMR Rear lockout kit
Resonator delete
I de modded the car when I got rid of it and it was not even a second thought on what to buy, I bought a GT350R. I absolutely hands down love the car. There is a difference between the two cars that you will notice. Also as most have said the car will hold a better value than a GT350. Its truly IMO the best mustang made available to date. I haven't even done any of my mods yet as I am having to much fun driving it! Enjoy as they both are great cars, I just feel the R is worth the extra money and you cant replicate it modifying a GT350 VS just buying the R.

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I track my CF wheels. I drove on the CF wheels until I was run off the road and curbed both wheels. No biggie. Insurance paid to have them replaced. However, because of that in incident I will no longer street ride the CF wheels. To much hassle to go through for repair or replacement. So I purchased a set of disposable wheels and tires.
I completely understand why you are doing that, but it sucks that you paid for an R and you are giving up arguably one of the best features of it vs. the GT350.

I can't imagine people run you off the road very often. It's never happened to me in 35+ years of driving.

edit: I wonder how much different the insurance costs are.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
I completely understand why you are doing that, but it sucks that you paid for an R and you are giving up arguably one of the best features of it vs. the GT350.

I can't imagine people run you off the road very often. It's never happened to me in 35+ years of driving.

edit: I wonder how much different the insurance costs are.
You obviously do not live in Madison County Alabama. Lol driving is pretty bad here. Statistically one of the worst states for drivers.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I sold my 350 to buy an R. I haven't driven one either but, Its an R, Come on

Sponsored

mattballislife

Threads
Reaction score
Website
ballislife.com
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
gt350R
Being someone that had a gt350 and now has a gt350r here’s what was different for me on regular roads.

The base gt350 was much more pleasant to drive around town and on road trips. I had a 2017 so it had magnaride. It wasn’t as stiff and sat a little higher in the front. Also the splitter in the front is shorter in the gt350 so getting around town is easier. Instead of just worrying about certain driveways and coming in at an angle you’ve now got to worry about dips in the roads...cause you will scrape them.

The R has a resonator delete so it can be a bit louder and almost have a more drone type sound when you open the exhaust on sport compared to the gt350.

The engines are the same. It even says so in the manual you get. Myself and a few others even asked this at the track attack days.

Now for the Carbon Fiber...be very very very very careful driving around. I’ve personally hit a pothole going about 35-40 miles an hour and f’d up my wheel which had to be replaced. They are not cheap to replace...Ford invoices you at around $6.3k for a single wheel. You’ll also now only be able to go to a dealership or performance shop that has the correct carbon fiber machine to remove and place tires onto your carbon fiber wheels. And since those wheels are so expensive...you’d better check them out before you leave any shop or valet for scuff marks lol.

You’ll lose your backseats but honestly those aren’t really seats. Even if I put my seat up in the front my passengers have had to sit sideways to fit lol.

All in all I’m happy I have an R but it’s just a bit more delicate than a base gt350. I’ll probably get another set of wheels soon just so I don’t have to worry so much about f’ng up the carbon fiber wheels around town.

The red accents are nice on the car but I’m honesty not a fan of the red accent on the stripes...sorry ha. I wouldn’t pay extra just for the red accents though.

Overall you’ll break more necks and you’ll ride around in a much more rare version of the mustang. If it makes you happy that’s all that matters in the end. Just my two cents since I’ve owned both.

✌

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
I thought about this quite a bit too.

I have a base ‘16 and I modded it to get closer to an R. Somewhere in between.

I actually love not having magneride, not sold on it (have driven a 350 with it).

My car has P51 R spec wheels (22lbs each), PS4S 305-325/30 (gearing advantage like the R)
Ford performance borla exhaust with no resonators
Ford performance springs (sit slightly lower than the R)

I think I found the best balance. I’m actually truly impressed with the suspension. I read some engineer claiming that the base suspension was actually nothing to be worried about and would surprise a lot of people instead of the magneride. With the FP springs that we’re designed for it, it’s perfect.

I also owned an R, but sold it. It wasn’t enough over my base to justify it. I’m opposite of others. Lol.
03823EF4-CB60-438C-B31C-2A200D11DFBE.jpeg

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
You obviously do not live in Madison County Alabama. Lol driving is pretty bad here. Statistically one of the worst states for drivers.
That sucks! Sorry to hear it. Most drivers here are pretty good. They do annoying things like driving slowly in the fast lane or not accelerating until the last minute on on-ramps, but those are pretty minor complaints to have compared to worrying about having someone crash right into you.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
Alabama is the #7 worst state for drivers in the U.S. It does suck but if you keep your distance you can see all the idiots. I avoided my an accident by exiting the lane unfortunately the wheels suffered the consequence. Best part is dude kept driving off I followed him and stopped him. He was an eldeeel man and had no clue what had happened. I messed up by not taking the license plate number. It would have avoided me paying my deductible

Tw00sh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 1965 Mustang Coupe