Sponsored

From GT 350 to GT 350R

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
I am in the process of doing the same (waiting for my 19R). I had the chance to actually drive one (thanks @Tomster ) which reinforced my decision to do it. For me the track pack GT350 is close but even with trying to replicate the handling of the R while I got close with FP springs, rear sway bar, lightweight wheels and Cup2s is not quite the same. I guess the biggest difference to me was how balanced the R feels.

Congrats and enjoy it!
Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Been thinking the same way lately. Tomster, how much actual difference between a Track Pack 16 and an R? Is it enough to justify the jingle?
Just to add to what Tom had to say about the difference between a Track Pack car and an R model October 2015 I was very fortunate to test drive a 2016 Track Pack car back to back with a 2016 R model at Sebring with the difference being significant to say the least especially after I was able to sit in the jump seat of a couple R models that day with a professional driver taking charge of the driving duties.

We were on a short course a Sebring and specifically remember the speeds that we were able to establish in certain parts of the road course with the R model well ahead of the Track Pack car.

Don't get me wrong as the Track Pack cars are very fast but with the CF wheels, Cup 2 tires, stiffer springs, larger anti sway bars, lower center of gravity and a reduced unsprung weight the R is a faster vehicle on a road course.

As far as justifying the extra cost for an R I would suggest it all comes down to each individual owner and as Tom mentioned the rarity of an R does come into play especially if you are like some of us older enthusiasts that really like the elusive Base R model.

:wink:

milner_7

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.highdefinitionautodetail.ca
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Congrats on the R. Just a heads up that all the GT350's have MagneRide dampers. Springs, sway bars and damper programming is different on the R.
Not the base 2016 model.

Devil5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Congrats on the R. Just a heads up that all the GT350's have MagneRide dampers. Springs, sway bars and damper programming is different on the R.
Thats what I thought. I thought the tech pack gt350's without track pack had magneride, but just lacked transmission coolers and some other minor stuff

Dr. JL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R: GR227 and GR378
Funny you bought then asked the Forum. Seems you already knew there is a difference..it is tangible. And like Tomster, I want an additional R for my collection.

Sponsored

Bulldogs22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I would say the difference isn't as noticeable with the 2019 350. The new cup 2's the R front closeout with the new swing out back and gurney flap along with adjustable camber plates I think puts them close. The one thing you will feel different in the R is the reduced un-sprung weight from the wheels which on the track can feel a lot different but besides that not really noticeable.

dom418

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2) 20 HEP-R, 20 Velocity Blue 350R, 20 Lime 350R
I think it’s a smart move based on the rarity alone. That means something to me at least

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
For a road experience, probably not a huge one. When I did the track attack in a base 350, I absolutely noticed a downgrade from my R. Still a great time, but the wheels and tires and extra force make for a much faster car in the corners.

Doesn’t make sense to me to pay the money to mod a base car toward an R, most of the cost will be wasted while an R will hold better value long term for sure, especially if this is the last big NA flat plane!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
If you have the dough to buy tires a lot more often and to not worry about damaging a set of carbon fiber rims that will cost a lot of money to replace, then the R is for you. There's no doubt it's a better driving car than the regular GT350 with the stickier tires and the CF rims on it. It might be a little more of a pain to drive on the street (dragging the low slung front splitter and the tires throwing rocks onto your paint), but those aren't nearly as big a deal as the rims and tires.

Also if you aren't going to use the car much and it will mostly sit in your garage, the R might be a better choice. It should depreciate less.

I feel as though I'm stretching my finances somewhat with the GT350, so I like having tires that will last 3 or more times as long. I'd love to have CF rims if they cost $500 each or something, but I prefer to own a vehicle I don't worry about using as a car. I don't want it sitting in my garage with me afraid to damage something I can't afford to replace. I never really considered an R.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I had a 16 Track pack that was tracked. I wanted to gain performance near R capabilities with mods. The cost difference of modding or buying the R to me was a no brainer. The CF "wheels alone are worth the price of admission." Matt Farah
As far as performance goes, I purchased a base R, #33 of 526 for 2016. IMO night and day difference between the two cars. Wheels biggest factor, everything else in suspension and weight compliments the car. Night and day. Oh! I forgot! I am significantly faster in the R at my local track.

Sponsored

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I did test drive the R on the street, but never tracked. The R will definitely be a better track car, but the regular 350 is a better street car... for many reasons mentioned above; for me, the suspension felt significantly firmer on the R and our roads are horrible. I am sure I would scratch and damage those expensive wheels..
And then was the price; at the time, I could not swallow close to 80k price... For another 10k, I could jump into a F430, which is probably my next car.
Looking now at prices, today; I could probably justify a jump to an R if I would track at least once a month...

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
'19 Kona Blue w/blk roof & blk stripes GT350, 89 LX5.0 Sedan (Mustangs Past: 69's Coupe, Mach 1, & GT)
And now non R GT350's for 2019 have MagRide damper, steering, & ABS is re tuned for the new aero & PSC2 tires so its a growing matrix depending on what one is buying new or used.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
There is actually quite a bit more differences in the two cars with specific part numbers. I believe there is thread with the list and yes even the engines have differences. Don shoot the messenger. Just do the research.

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2019 Roushcharged F150, 2016 GT350R, 2013 Boss 302LS, 2009 GT/CS, 2000 Cobra R, 1995 Cobra R
Vehicle Showcase
I think it’s a smart move based on the rarity alone. That means something to me at least
That would depend on if these cars become collectables in the future or depreciate to the point where they are just a car. The view points are interesting to me, as I was considering bumping up to an R from a 16 track pack. In addition to driving, looking at, occasionally tracking, I'm also kind of a collector, hence the 302 LS, Bullitt, GT500 etc. I'm still on the fence, if the right deal came along I would take it no doubt.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
That would depend on if these cars become collectables in the future or depreciate to the point where they are just a car. The view points are interesting to me, as I was considering bumping up to an R from a 16 track pack. In addition to driving, looking at, occasionally tracking, I'm also kind of a collector, hence the 302 LS, Bullitt, GT500 etc. I'm still on the fence, if the right deal came along I would take it no doubt.
I don't think the op is looking to buy this car to be a collector piece. An R will hold much better value than any other Mustang even the standard GT350. That hould be important to any car buyer. I had my car appraised for a possibl trade in on a 2015 GT3. I was offered almost 65K with 11k miles at the time. That was just a couple of months ago. I didn't do no where near as well when I got rid of my 16 track pack with 8k miles.
Sponsored