Sponsored

Clutch noise after switching hydraulic clutch line

ultimacloud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I have a 2015 Mustang GT that I have had for 3 years now.

I am going to be upgrading to a 2018 soon, so I swapped all of my aftermarket parts back to the OEM parts.

One of these parts was the stainless steel braided clutch line upgrade that I had done, which i swapped back to the factory line.

The problem here is, after switching the line back, i have a horrible squeak sound once the line has been bled. The sound only occurs during pedal travel and will happen regardless of the car being on or off. The sound is definitely coming from the transmission housing (my thought being the hydraulic TOB), but I don't know what has caused this sound to start after switching lines back.

I have removed the line to inspect it, tried again with the same result. I have now switched back to the aftermarket line and after bleeding, the problem still persists.

Any idea what could be causing this and a fix? I'd prefer not to drop the trans and replace the throw out bearing if this can be avoided.

Clutch operation is still completely normal when driving.

(couldn't find this specific issue anywhere, feel free to link if it is solved elsewhere)
Sponsored

OP
OP

ultimacloud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Most times after bleeding the clutch line you need to let it sit overnight before bleeding it a second time.
I've driven it for about 20 miles in 3 days since it has started. It should be bled at this point if it's operating properly right?

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
^^^ Not enough in my experience. Drove my over 300 miles and it was still not completely bled out after a clutch replacement. Took an additional two days of driving to get it all worked out. Then it was all fine as wine.

OP
OP

ultimacloud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
^^^ Not enough in my experience. Drove my over 300 miles and it was still not completely bled out after a clutch replacement. Took an additional two days of driving to get it all worked out. Then it was all fine as wine.
Alright I'll give it a shot with some excessive city driving and see if I can get it to clear up. Not sure why it sounds line a creaky bed without being fully bled though. I never had this happen the first time I switched it out.

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
It's not the miles driven but the number of times you pump the pedal. All told you'll need to pump it at least 100 times, better to pump it 200+ times successively. You'll left leg will not be super happy.

OP
OP

ultimacloud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
It's not the miles driven but the number of times you pump the pedal. All told you'll need to pump it at least 100 times, better to pump it 200+ times successively. You'll left leg will not be super happy.
That darn aftermarket clutch line probably took close to 2000 pumps to operate properly, both times installing it.

Where as the stock line being put back in only took about 50 pumps and it was good to go.

It starts sounding like a cheap motel room once it finally bleeds all the way out, almost as if once the TOB gets enough pressure to "accordion" out, it makes the sound. However the issue never existed until trying to switch the line back.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I found I had to pump up the clutch to make shifts when coming up to a light as it was self bleeding even after the initial install was complete. On the 13 when I upgraded the speed shop pulled a vacuum on the master cylinder and worked it out. The mechanic had a fitting that attached to the master cylinder which he then connected to a vacuum pump and pulled a vacuum down. he would monitor and then top off as the level would drop due to air being pulled form the system. Really worked well.

OP
OP

ultimacloud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I found I had to pump up the clutch to make shifts when coming up to a light as it was self bleeding even after the initial install was complete. On the 13 when I upgraded the speed shop pulled a vacuum on the master cylinder and worked it out. The mechanic had a fitting that attached to the master cylinder which he then connected to a vacuum pump and pulled a vacuum down. he would monitor and then top off as the level would drop due to air being pulled form the system. Really worked well.
This is actually the recommended way to bleed the system because it forces the air to pull out from that vacuum.

It seems everyone feels that the clutch isnt bled enough, so I'll start looking at this route.

Thanks guys

OP
OP

ultimacloud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I just wanted to post this video so you guys could get an idea of what this sounds like.

Sponsored

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Ever figure this out? I just installed a new clutch and am having a similar squeak, although not as severe as yours.

OP
OP

ultimacloud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Ever figure this out? I just installed a new clutch and am having a similar squeak, although not as severe as yours.
yeah, it worked itself out after a few days of normal driving. It was definitely stubborn getting the air bubbles out causing the sound but eventually should fix itself. If you cant get that to work, buy a vaccuum pump for it to remove that possibility.
Sponsored