Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

GT350-H6088

Mustang with a Mouth
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 (H6088) RR Black stripes/white p
What is Ford saying about it? I can't find anything online directly from Ford.
ford has not realesed any information on the cause.

THE MAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
ford has not realesed any information on the cause.
Does Ford have a fiduciary responsibility to the clients of their vehicles to disclose the reason for the engine's failure? As a sound business practice, my opinion is yes.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
Does Ford have a fiduciary responsibility to the clients of their vehicles to disclose the reason for the engine's failure? As a sound business practice, my opinion is yes.
Most of the "failures" are not failures per se - excessive oil consumption.

THE MAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Now I'm very concerned. My car burns oil. I've never had a car that burns so much oil. Is there an explanation from Ford for this, or an update of any kind?

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
Now I'm very concerned. My car burns oil. I've never had a car that burns so much oil. Is there an explanation from Ford for this, or an update of any kind?
Are you for real? Your posts smack of trolling. If serious - how many miles and how much oil consumption?

THE MAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I'm approx at 6700 and use about a quart per 800 miles. Not sure what to think about the troll accusation.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
One quart per 800 miles is 300 miles better than the minimum. I would not worry but keep checking it every other fill up.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
I'm approx at 6700 and use about a quart per 800 miles. Not sure what to think about the troll accusation.
More than a little eyebrow raising that someone who claims to have been lurking here for 3 years and bought a GT350 had no clue about oil consumption issues. Did you buy new? How has oil consumption changed since new? As others said, 1 qt/800 miles is normal. But if you really owned a GT350 and ever looked at the supplemental manual, you would know that already...

Last edited:

GT350-H6088

Mustang with a Mouth
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
1 quart per 1000 miles is expected, especially if the car is driven hard and lives at high RPM's alot. also down shifting consumes more oil than normal. with the high compression and high oil pressures oil consumtion is a normal with any engine with simular characteristics. come back when you are using 1 quart every 250 or less miles, then you have reason to be worried.

GT350-H6088

Mustang with a Mouth
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
What was their commentary on this analysis with respect to the few slightly elevated readings?
Are you talking about the Phosphorus (P), Zinc (Zn)? These are anti-wear/anti-oxidant additives which acts as a film to surround metal parts, helping to keep them separated.
Magnesium (Mg), Calcium (Ca), Barium (Ba) - A detergent-type additive which provides some alkalinity to help neutralize acids formed by fuel combustion.
so the elevated numbers are good.

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Are you talking about the Phosphorus (P), Zinc (Zn)? These are anti-wear/anti-oxidant additives which acts as a film to surround metal parts, helping to keep them separated.
Magnesium (Mg), Calcium (Ca), Barium (Ba) - A detergent-type additive which provides some alkalinity to help neutralize acids formed by fuel combustion.
so the elevated numbers are good.
And the Silicone?

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe

GT350-H6088

Mustang with a Mouth
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
And the Silicone?
that explained in the comments

Blackstone Oil Report said:
SCOTT: Thanks for the notes. It's a shame the original engine had to be replaced, but the new one is off to
a good start with this report. The extra iron and copper are just break-in metals. Silicon is from sealers used
during assembly,
and all three elements will improve nicely over the next few oil changes. For reference,
universal averages show typical results for the 5.2L Voodoo with about 3,300 miles on the oil. We also
noticed no make-up oil was needed during this run, which is good. We've seen some of these engines
burning upwards of a quart every 500 miles.
Remember this is my first oil change and test on the New Engine.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
I haven't checked in in awhile, nice to see nothing has really changed on the discussion. :crazy:

Different names, same problems/back and forth on the subject. :frown:

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I've officially stopped my search for a 350; yeah I know... i've heard all the arguments about this being an isolated problem and it's under warranty but I don't have the time or energy to go through this process (dealing with my local Ford dealership, oil consumption tests, etc) if I roll the dice and get snake eyes. I am in no hurry; at this point I am going to sit back and see what type of results we get from the 2019-2020 models... will Ford actually do something to improve the reliability percentages and some of the oil consumption issues? Will they ever address the issue publicly and at least tell us what they are finding when they take these engines back and examine them? I see guys on here with 2018's consuming oil and getting new engines... that's 3 years into the production of these vehicles.. ..is it simply a quality control problem with parts, labor?.... they are supposedly hand building these engines. Don't get me wrong, I still think it's a GREAT car, but it's a complicated marriage when you buy one to say the least.
It's a track focused car.. I really wish Ford would have made a street version of this car (tech pkg doesn't count) for those that just want to canyon carve, cruise etc.. maybe that means producing one with a different engine that doesn't require the coolers. I love the looks, design, handling over the regular GT. so the PP2 is out for me. I know the Voodoo is special, but it does come with some baggage.