Sponsored

Ford Trademarks "Mustang Mach-E" Name (and new Pony Badge)

JGillis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taurus SHO
Ford's trying to trademark "Mustang Mach-E" and apparently here is the new badge it filed ...

mustang-1-941x665.jpg

Ford Seeks ‘Mustang Mach-E’ Trademark

2019-mustang-ecoboost-premium-fastback-race-red-e1553880607664.jpg

While much of the hype surrounding Ford’s electrified future involves the brand’s upcoming “Mustang inspired” crossover EV, due in 2020, there are other models that stand to gain an (albeit milder) electric boost. The F-150 and Mustang, to name a couple.

Ford’s long-running pony car is expected to gain a hybrid variant sometime in 2020, and a new trademark filing sheds light on what name we might expect to see adorning the Stang’s flanks.

According to allfordmustangs.com, Ford recently filed a trademark application for the “Mustang Mach-E” name with the European Intellectual Property Office. This piggybacks on last year’s European and American filings for the “Mach-E” name.

While the blue oval brand has been loathe to share many details on the hybrid Mustang, a patent uncovered earlier this year point to the possibility of a hybridized V8 pony car that catapults power and fuel economy over the existing Mustang GT. Then again, maybe a smaller Ecoboost motor would suffice. Who knows?

One thing’s for sure: Ford probably isn’t trademarking a Mustang Mach-E nameplate (and corresponding badge) to leave it sitting around. Given the time gap in “Mach-E” and “Mustang Mach-E” trademarks, it’s looking like Ford plans to go the Audi route with its electrified vehicle naming strategy. If it’s true that the Mustang-inspired electric crossover will carry the Mach-E name, then the moniker’s use on the Mustang points to it becoming a sub-brand, much like Audi’s e-tron and Mercedes-Benz’s EQ.

The Mustang’s future at Flat Rock Assembly is hazy, but a source with knowledge of Ford’s product plans tells us the model will soldier on with its current platform when a revamped Stang appears for the 2023 model year. Past rumors claimed that Ford might switch the model to its modular CD6 platform, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

As for the expected hybrid version, there’s no word from our source on when that model will arrive. All Ford has said is that the model will appear in 2020, presumably for the 2021 model year.
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Whilst I'd actually welcome the Mach E badge being put on the hybrid S550/S650..........I have a horrible feeling Ford are going to put it on the "Mustang Inspired" electric SUV.........and if that pony IS put on an SUV, I'll be the first to get on a plane and head to Detroit with my pitchfork :angry:

Vanel27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ivan
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Mustang PP - Indigo Silver
Vehicle Showcase
They should have call it the "E-Stang"

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Whilst I'd actually welcome the Mach E badge being put on the hybrid S550/S650..........I have a horrible feeling Ford are going to put it on the "Mustang Inspired" electric SUV.........and if that pony IS put on an SUV, I'll be the first to get on a plane and head to Detroit with my pitchfork :angry:
I will be right there with you.... They better not use the pony badge on that crossover.... Now if this is a battery electric S550/S650 then ok!

Sponsored

NYDP77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Mustang Stage 3
Vehicle Showcase
How about a Boss-E...that has a nice ring to it. :cwl: Please no SUV...

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
Boss-E?

Needs more cowbell.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang

Trademarks take a long time and the application process is combative. Mine took 7 years for a registered trademark on the logo. Looks like the “E” at the end will designate electric vehicle.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
:crying:

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
The end of the world is at hand :facepalm:

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Guys it goes like this.

Ford submits application. Half a year later the trademark office says: “seems to be confusing with “E-tron” or whatever and Ford will reply and it will take another six months. That shitty process can break you mentally!
Sponsored