Sponsored

Inside edge of tires wearing?

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
Hi,

Just had my summer tires mounted on my new rims (Ford Performance Eco PP rims, powder coated to black by a local shop :sunglasses: ). Anyhow, when pulling off my old "winter" (all-season) tires, they noted that the inside edge was getting quite worn on the Hankook Ventus S1 Nobles (50k treadwear rating). I'm assuming these were on the front for quite a while, couldn't tell because the dingbats at the tire shop didn't chalk them so I know where the wheels were when they were pulled...stock Eco PP tire size (255/40R19). The car has about 45,000 miles now, and I've been driving on these "winter" tires for probably about 35,000 miles (didn't get them changed back over last summer due to employment issues). The tires have the added bonus that for thee of them, this is the second car that they've been on (see my signature for details on that!). No wear issues noted when I had them pulled from the carcass of my first Mustang.

It seems like everyone who works on the car (usually the dealer) likes to overinflate the tires (the TPMS is usually showing like 39-40 PSI). I'm wondering if this could be contributing to the wear issue.

I'm giving it a 90% probability that it's a front-end alignment issue, probably the camber adjustment. Is there any possibility that there's something going in in the rear? After all, it's an IRS...
Sponsored

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
You won't know until you have the alignment checked . Look up the specs listed in the suspension threads so you have a better understanding of what you are looking for when you get an alignment .

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly the stock alignment settings on these cars isn't very good. Kelly's recommendations for street suspension settings is proving to be much better for most.

o-man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
If it is just on the inside tread block, I'd wager too much toe out. If it appears to be worn across 40% or more of tread, then I would say camber is your issue

OP
OP
ElAviator72

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
Here's a picture of one of the tires. The inside edge will be on the bottom. It looks like it's just afffecting the outer tread band
DSC_0130.JPG
DSC_0130.JPG

Sponsored

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
Thats from alignment for sure.

When was the last time you had it on a laser rack to check?

Paul A.

OP
OP
ElAviator72

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
Thats from alignment for sure.

When was the last time you had it on a laser rack to check?

Paul A.
That's easy: never :cwl: I'll have the stealership check the alignment the next time I'm in. Based on the previous answers from everyone else, I'm going with the toe in needs to be adjusted (looks like we've got toe out)...not camber.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Honestly the stock alignment settings on these cars isn't very good. Kelly's recommendations for street suspension settings is proving to be much better for most.
Who's Kelly and what are the specs? I am replacing both the original front P Zeros after 35k miles due to inside shoulder wear. Still have 3/32 to the wear bars on the rest of the tire.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Who's Kelly and what are the specs? I am replacing both the original front P Zeros after 35k miles due to inside shoulder wear. Still have 3/32 to the wear bars on the rest of the tire.
Kelly Aiken aka @BMR Tech

35k miles on Pzeros is honestly very good.

Specs:

Front
Camber: -1.5 +/- 0.2, even both sides
Toe: 0.05 +0.00/-0.05, even both sides (zero steer ahead)
Caster: 7.00 deg

Rear
Camber: -1.25 +/- 0.1, even both sides
Toe: 0.10-0.12 per side, even both sides (zero thrust angle)

For a more spirited street alignment, add -0.2 deg to front and rear. For track use, add ~ -1.0 front and rear.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the info. 90% of my driving is 2-3 hrs at a stretch OTR. My RR corner wears across the tread too quick compared to the LR, but once I had too much toe on that side. Still might have a little too much, so I swapped the rears side to side last weekend an found the front wear.

Thinking about going with Firestone Indys. Heard a lot of good things about them here and from a friend with a C5.

Sponsored

natepcbfl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GTpp 50th AP ---- 1989 Mustang GT 25th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
I have had mine aligned by 3 separate shops. They went off of the factory recommendations. Side note I needed new front tires each time it was aligned. I will be using these specs listed above next time. I do know I had this bad wear and the tow was almost on zero. Maybe there is just too much camber for street use.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Also, as heavy as our cars are, the construction of the tire matters a lot. If that tire is weak where the sidewall meets the tread, as many all-season tires are, they might just not be holding up well in the long run.

Surfing this forum for a few years, I've seen a bunch of questions about tires wearing out at that inside edge first. My last set of MPSS tires did the same, and I'm pretty on top of alignment settings and try to keep front toe damn near 0. If anything you'd think running higher pressures would reduce wear at that location.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After looking at the rear tire wear (lower pressure (29) wore flat, higher pressure (32) wore in the center) I am trying running the rears at 29. Once I get the new fronts may try a little higher (34). What do guys think?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
After looking at the rear tire wear (lower pressure (29) wore flat, higher pressure (32) wore in the center) I am trying running the rears at 29. Once I get the new fronts may try a little higher (34). What do guys think?
I've been running my 275 square street setup at ~28-29 cold. Seems to help them wear better (though I have more center wear than inside or outside). Getting that zero toe up front is critical to reduce wear with modest to significant camber.
Sponsored