Sponsored

2020 GT500 Governed Top Speed of 180MPH

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
If Ford wanted to compete with the ZL1 then why the limitation of 180mph. Makes no sense. The ZL1 is at 198mph.
Maybe they are afraid of the Zion Williamson effect due to the weight. Hundreds of college basketball kids wear Nike sneakers every day and they are fine. You put 270lb Zion Williamson in the same shoes and it's blow out time! They are still yet to say how heavy this thing is going to be.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
iris.jpg

Technical Specs

443 hp Max. power
3.5 s 0 - 60 mph
3.3 s 0 - 60 mph with Sport Chrono Package
191 mph Top track speed
72.9 in Width w/ mirrors folded
177.9 in Length

I don't know. It will be interesting how it compares with something like this. By the time the dealers tack on the ADM"s it will probably come close to the 119,000.00 the 2020 911S is priced at. (which is down over 250hp to the GT500) Funny the 911 has no problem going over 190mph.
That 911 is very slippery. It probably has the active rear spoiler that comes up at speed, but there are very few aerodynamic aids. The GT500 is a huge brick by comparison.

Well much of that article may be true, however the track I frequent must be the oddball. If i can slowly creep up to 175ish in an R, I think a car with more torque and HP could do a hell of a lot better. Wow, so it really was an arbitrary number and really wasn't attributable to any particular limitation. Smh.

It sounds to me like something a lawyer or legal team would think up to avoid some kind of product liability down the road.
If the GT500 had the same aerodynamic treatments and the same cooling requirements as the GT350, I would agree. However, that huge grill and hood opening; the splitter; wing; etc. all will make a difference. And incrementally higher speeds require a lot more power.

I'm not 100% convinced, but in my opinion it is possible that the GT500 gets up to speed very quickly, but somewhere south of 180 mph it is done. I remember watching the ZL1 1LE on the 'ring and being surprised at how low its top speed is on the straights.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
Have you ever seen a blowout on track before on a street car? It's not exactly a pretty sight. I'm not saying I agree or disagree but I would have to think considering data gathering these days, it's not completely out of the ballpark of a reasonable concern.

Think about some drag tires. They're rated for "over 100" MPH but manufacturers say to use them at high speeds only on a prepped surface. Z rated tires means they're rated for over 149MPH but don't specify how much. It's actually kinda on you if you kill one. W is 168. The Challenger Demon is limited to 160 something MPH because those tires are not suitable for sustained speeds over that.
Oh I agree it is not pretty. The real question is why would Ford put such a limiting factor on a halo car? It's not like they don't make tires rated for higher speeds...and it's not like it would make a big hit to the cost of the car.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
You never mentioned 1/4 mile in the other post and you're assuming it'll only trap 130mph in the 1/4.
what tracks are capable letting one hitting 180mph with a car that does 130mph stock?

minimal. a simple tune, hell a $2 resistor eliminates a top speed
You can add 30mph from the 1/4 to get a 1/2 mile mph. Reverse it, 180-30=150. Do you think a stock gt500 will hit 150mph in the 1/4?
So logic states, very few places will even allow a car to hit 180mph, let-alone a stock one, which is the case here. to go above and beyond, you will need a tune, which eliminates ANY governed top speed argument

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
You can add 30mph from the 1/4 to get a 1/2 mile mph. Reverse it, 180-30=150. Do you think a stock gt500 will hit 150mph in the 1/4?
So logic states, very few places will even allow a car to hit 180mph, let-alone a stock one, which is the case here. to go above and beyond, you will need a tune, which eliminates ANY governed top speed argument
I wasn't aware of any tracks that have speed limits. The argument that I think you are making is that there are very few tracks where you can attain 180MPH. There are tracks where this speed could be (and are) attained, but I guess Ford sees them as far and few between and are insignificant.

So, it was a decision by Ford and it is a take it or leave it proposition. I'm still interested.

Sponsored

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
I wasn't aware of any tracks that have speed limits. The argument that I think you are making is that there are very few tracks where you can attain 180MPH. There are tracks where this speed could be (and are) attained, but I guess Ford sees them as far and few between and are insignificant.

So, it was a decision by Ford and it is a take it or leave it proposition. I'm still interested.
I meant allow a in designed to allow. the course is designed with high sped turn into a long enough straight away and a exiting turn that could be taken at significant speed.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Brilliant observation (staying off of the brakes). I remember seeing this video a few years ago, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbpzslRUipY . At Daytona, Corey Friedman in a 911 RSR lost his right rear @180+, watch his right leg.
FWIW, I've never run Daytona, but it's on the bucket list.
Its something that a lot of people don't think of, and when it happens, instinctively adding braking can aggrivate the situation. I feel that (aside from the subsequent damage due to the delamination) you have an exaggerated differential drag condition that needs to be corrected with the (slight) application of throttle as opposed to hitting the brakes and aggrivating the differential drag.

Most of those YouTube tire delamination videos end in a spinout with a bruised ego and a damaged car. My concern would be a high speed head on crash into a wall. Maybe keeping the speeds down with a speed limiter defers liability? I don't know, but its a take it or leave it deal.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I meant allow a in designed to allow. the course is designed with high sped turn into a long enough straight away and a exiting turn that could be taken at significant speed.
You mean like running into Daytona turn 3 out of the backstretch at near 175MPH? Yea, if you are not ready for it, it could be wall city. It was a bit unnerving, but you get used to it.

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
I'm not buying the tires requiring the speed limitation as the Cup 2 and 4s can handle 200+ MPH.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I'm not buying the tires requiring the speed limitation as the Cup 2 and 4s can handle 200+ MPH.
Yes, I agree with you. I made that point in post #68. However there are different specs for cup 2's.

I'm leaning on the theory that it is the legal department or they don't want one version to be faster than the other. Why limit it at all is My point. Let it be.

Sponsored

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Yes, I agree with you. I made that point in post #68. However there are different specs for cup 2's.

I'm leaning on the theory that it is the legal department or they don't want one version to be faster than the other. Why limit it at all is My point. Let it be.
Which would be crazy for them to do. Chevy doesn't do that with the Camaro and Corvette where the models/trims with more downforce have lower top speeds. I wouldn't be surprised the "base" GT500 has a higher top speed when it's all said and done.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Which would be crazy for them to do. Chevy doesn't do that with the Camaro and Corvette where the models/trims with more downforce have lower top speeds. I wouldn't be surprised the "base" GT500 has a higher top speed when it's all said and done.
Yes, and that was one of the reasons stated in the article. They didn't want the lower priced model to be faster (and it would be). So they made them all equal. I don't agree, but again, it's a take it or leave it deal. The difference between 180 and ? (who knows what the CF top end speed would be anyway) isn't going to make a huge difference in lap times (on a few tracks) I suspect. However the concept of limiting one models top end speed for the sake of protecting the desireability of anothers? Well...

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
What track could the gt500 even reach 180mph? The 755hp zr1 only got 170 at road Atlanta with Probst behind the wheel.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
Yes, and that was one of the reasons stated in the article. They didn't want the lower priced model to be faster (and it would be). So they made them all equal. I don't agree, but again, it's a take it or leave it deal. The difference between 180 and ? (who knows what the CF top end speed would be anyway) isn't going to make a huge difference in lap times (on a few tracks) I suspect. However the concept of limiting one models top end speed for the sake of protecting the desireability of anothers? Well...
I'm curious - is this a deal-breaker for you?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I'm curious - is this a deal-breaker for you?
No.

But since we all really have nothing else to talk about, I figured why not explore this topic until conclusion. Again, this is a take it or leave it deal.

This is in no way a bash, but an interesting topic of discussion. Isn't it interesting how the 500 will be speed governed?
Sponsored