Sponsored

2018-19 Taillight Connector to Harness

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I purchased a set of 2018-19 taillights to swap onto my ‘17, but I didn’t realize the ‘18-19 had a separate connector between the lights themselves and the harness in the car. The lights I bought did not come with the connector. Does anyone know what the part number is for the left and right connector? Would make it a lot easier to search for or just buy from the local dealer.

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored

xpiggy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
brendan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt mustang cobrajet, comp cams stage 3, 4c stall converter e85 pbd and lund tuned
did you end up finding part numbers. I have the same problem and trying to find the harnesses also. ford keep ordering in the wrong part from there system as it thinks 15-19 are the same but they are not

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
did you end up finding part numbers. I have the same problem and trying to find the harnesses also. ford keep ordering in the wrong part from there system as it thinks 15-19 are the same but they are not
You cannot buy these separately from the lights themselves, at least not direct from Ford. But I did come across this sale on eBay. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/283343864242

It labels them as for 13-14 LED lights, but I’m pretty damn sure that the plugs on both ends are the same. I also looked at the wiring for these compared to the same thing for the 18-19 connectors and I’m also pretty sure the same wires go to the same spots (even use the exact same color wires for each spot). Now granted this was all done off eBay pictures, nothing was done with anything in hand.

I went ahead and bought two and am hoping they will work. I will post an update once I get them and let you know whether they work or not.

xpiggy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
brendan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt mustang cobrajet, comp cams stage 3, 4c stall converter e85 pbd and lund tuned
You cannot buy these separately from the lights themselves, at least not direct from Ford. But I did come across this sale on eBay. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/283343864242

It labels them as for 13-14 LED lights, but I’m pretty damn sure that the plugs on both ends are the same. I also looked at the wiring for these compared to the same thing for the 18-19 connectors and I’m also pretty sure the same wires go to the same spots (even use the exact same color wires for each spot). Now granted this was all done off eBay pictures, nothing was done with anything in hand.

I went ahead and bought two and am hoping they will work. I will post an update once I get them and let you know whether they work or not.
looks pretty close hey, good find

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I cut the harness on the 2015-2017 and used a Toyota harness and soldered both together .

Sponsored

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Update:

Finally got the harnesses in the mail the other day. Don't know why it took almost 2 weeks to get but it seems it got lost in the mail for about a week and a half.

Anyways, plugged them in, but no luck. I noticed that they did have an extra, 7th blue wire in this harness that is not used so I disconnected that thinking that might be the culprit, but still no luck. Then I took another good look at the ebay pictures of 2018-19 lights with the harness to check the wiring and finally realized the issue. All the correct colored wires are in the correct locations relative to each other for both plugs, however, the plug that connects to the light itself (4x2 pins) was 180 degrees off. So if you just pull the 6 pins out of that plug and rotate them all together 180 degrees, it works like a charm. Super simple to do, just pop the black cap off, slide the white tab out just a bit, and then pop up each individual gray tab to pull each pin out. Put them back in 180 degrees from where they were and all is good. I just cut the blue wire out as it is not needed.

If anyone ends up needing more details on that or would like some pictures let me know and I'll try to put something together to make it more understandable.

rio16

MAD_50HH
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rio
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Whippled Competition Orange
Update:

Finally got the harnesses in the mail the other day. Don't know why it took almost 2 weeks to get but it seems it got lost in the mail for about a week and a half.

Anyways, plugged them in, but no luck. I noticed that they did have an extra, 7th blue wire in this harness that is not used so I disconnected that thinking that might be the culprit, but still no luck. Then I took another good look at the ebay pictures of 2018-19 lights with the harness to check the wiring and finally realized the issue. All the correct colored wires are in the correct locations relative to each other for both plugs, however, the plug that connects to the light itself (4x2 pins) was 180 degrees off. So if you just pull the 6 pins out of that plug and rotate them all together 180 degrees, it works like a charm. Super simple to do, just pop the black cap off, slide the white tab out just a bit, and then pop up each individual gray tab to pull each pin out. Put them back in 180 degrees from where they were and all is good. I just cut the blue wire out as it is not needed.

If anyone ends up needing more details on that or would like some pictures let me know and I'll try to put something together to make it more understandable.
Thanks for the info. Any pics would be appreciated.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I didn't want to mess with pulling stuff apart again, so I just made this diagram. This is the way both plugs should look for a 2018-19 tail light to work properly.

2018 Mustang Tail Light Plug Wiring Diagram.png

So to make everything very clear: If using the 13-14 harness I linked above, the 5x2 plug is already set up correctly, with the addition of a 7th, blue wire that is unnecessary (I am not sure if it could be left untouched as I ended up removing mine before getting this harness to work). The 4x2 plug requires all wires to be moved 180 degrees (this means that the black wire was actually in the red spot originally, the grn/wht was in the red/yel spot originally, etc.). The only exception to the 180 degree rotation is that the solid red and the red/yellow wires must be swapped. But obviously no need to worry about that as anyone now can follow the diagram above which is correct. (If you do get it wrong, your turn signal sequencing will be opposite, i.e. it will sequence from the outside in. In which case just flip the solid red and red/yel wires.)

dawolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red mustang GT
Thanks for sharing the information. Was looking all over the internet and this site for it.

spectremotorsports

Consultant
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
"Emma" 17 GT/PP Grabber Blue/Black roof
I didn't want to mess with pulling stuff apart again, so I just made this diagram. This is the way both plugs should look for a 2018-19 tail light to work properly.

2018 Mustang Tail Light Plug Wiring Diagram.png

So to make everything very clear: If using the 13-14 harness I linked above, the 5x2 plug is already set up correctly, with the addition of a 7th, blue wire that is unnecessary (I am not sure if it could be left untouched as I ended up removing mine before getting this harness to work). The 4x2 plug requires all wires to be moved 180 degrees (this means that the black wire was actually in the red spot originally, the grn/wht was in the red/yel spot originally, etc.). The only exception to the 180 degree rotation is that the solid red and the red/yellow wires must be swapped. But obviously no need to worry about that as anyone now can follow the diagram above which is correct. (If you do get it wrong, your turn signal sequencing will be opposite, i.e. it will sequence from the outside in. In which case just flip the solid red and red/yel wires.)

So a lot of this is beyond my comprehension. Is there a way to just buy the harnesses?

Sponsored

dawolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red mustang GT
Nope, it seems to get the connector between the harness and light, you have to buy the whole light.
A dumb thing for Ford to do, but its true. A junk yard is the only way aside from the Knightrider18 route which I took.

Falk03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Falk
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertible
Sadly the link above just leads to a general search result at eBay. I guess the idea is using the same harness from the 2013-2014 tail lights.
I was not able to find any.

Any hints?

Falk03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Falk
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertible
The connector to the tail light could be this one: WPT-1489.

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I cut the harness on the 2015-2017 and used a Toyota harness and soldered both together .
Details please?
Sponsored