Sponsored

When closing the door, use the handle, not the paint...

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue Convertible (sold)
Something that I absolutely hate is when passengers grab the door anywhere to close it. My kids have known since they were old enough to get out of the car by themselves is to always use the handle when they close a car door. Never touch the paint. Worst than that is when people use the hood or trunk as a table. Ugh!!! I only touch the pony when I close my trunk. Less likely to get scratches doing this.
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
There's paint on the handle anyway...I tend to use a firm push on the weather stripping along the top of the door. For the trunk, I've given up on my decklid panel so I don't care at all.

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
Something that I absolutely hate is when passengers grab the door anywhere to close it. My kids have known since they were old enough to get out of the car by themselves is to always use the handle when they close a car door. Never touch the paint. Worst than that is when people use the hood or trunk as a table. Ugh!!! I only touch the pony when I close my trunk. Less likely to get scratches doing this.

You'd lose your shit around me. I use the hood of my 68 as a work bench all the time.
the door handles are painted, so what do you suggest we use to close the door now?

OP
OP
Thatguy

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess I should have said "Use the handles, not the door" :)

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
I guess I should have said "Use the handles, not the door" :)
What difference does it make? Still a painted surface that will get smudged. Plus, if they are stick their hands through the they are far more likely to scratch the paint with a nail than they are to damage the door with their finger tips.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Thatguy

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's very rare that there isn't some dirt on a paint's finish. If a person just pushes the door closed instead of using the handle, they are going to leave finger/hand prints that are noticeable. You won't see those if they use the handle. Plus, if they slide their hand on that dirt as they close the door, it's going to leave fine scratches that will become noticeable over time. I sometimes have passengers who don't use the handle when they close the door. Their prints are the first thing I see when I look at it.

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
It's very rare that there isn't some dirt on a paint's finish. If a person just pushes the door closed instead of using the handle, they are going to leave finger/hand prints that are noticeable. You won't see those if they use the handle. Plus, if they slide their hand on that dirt as they close the door, it's going to leave fine scratches that will become noticeable over time. I sometimes have passengers who don't use the handle when they close the door. Their prints are the first thing I see when I look at it.

You'd be better off just parking it in a hermetically sealed bubble...

OP
OP
Thatguy

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
just push the glass to close the door?
Finger prints on the glass :) Using the door handle has worked for me for years. I've driven Corvettes without door handles like the C6 and C7. I used the door latch to close the door.

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
I'm with the OP on this. MAJOR pet peeve when I see the sliding finder marks on a dusty door. I do prefer that over the glass though...

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
I'm with the OP.

If you use the handle you really can't see all the smears. If you use your hands and just push on the edge of the door you'll see hand prints over time. I'm able to get the wife and kid to do it on the Mustang however her car and the 3rd vehicle no chance.

My car is garaged kept and not driven in snow or rain so it'll look good if washed, waxed, and maintained with a bit of respect. The idea of seeing someones fingerprints all over the garage kept car is a bit annoying.

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
I'm with the OP.

If you use the handle you really can't see all the smears. If you use your hands and just push on the edge of the door you'll see hand prints over time. I'm able to get the wife and kid to do it on the Mustang however her car and the 3rd vehicle no chance.

My car is garaged kept and not driven in snow or rain so it'll look good if washed, waxed, and maintained with a bit of respect. The idea of seeing someones fingerprints all over the garage kept car is a bit annoying.
6 of my 7 cars stay in a garage. Shit gets dirty. Wash it and move on.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
just push the glass to close the door?
I’m the same. Place your hand on top of the rear corner of the glass and push. No smudges.
Ok, you might get a 1mm line where your skin wraps over the edge of the glass but...really?
Sponsored