Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
18' PP2 Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
I'm starting to think the rattle might be intake/CMCV/DI/PI/TiVCT
Seems so much is going on with these systems in this rpm range.
I was just thinking this today. Seems like the range for the noise is so specific, when you are just tipping in to the throttle....
Sponsored

1bad66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT PP1, '66 Mustang, '18 BMW X3, '97 Tacoma
I was just thinking this today. Seems like the range for the noise is so specific, when you are just tipping in to the throttle....
One thing to remember about that is you are putting the rotating assembly in an unloaded condition when you tip in the throttle from idle or decel to accel. It's basically a coast condition, when the engine has no load on it, which is usually when a bottom end rattle would occur (like a rod and or rod bearing for instance). I've heard many engines over the years exhibit very similar symptoms w/ bad rod bearings, Toyota 22re and SBF or two to name a couple...

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
So when does the PI hand the baton to DI? Any specific rpm range or load?
Or the CMCV start opening or closing? Any rpm range
Then there is the variable timing ....what rpm or load is timing pulled out?
From my personal experience the rattle isn't present coasting at all. Nor on decel.
Only shows it's face on tip in. But maybe your personal car is different than what I've experienced.
The symptoms I've seen remind me of an old car that knocks on lower than ideal fuel.
Who knows
One thing to remember about that is you are putting the rotating assembly in an unloaded condition when you tip in the throttle from idle or decel to accel. It's basically a coast condition, when the engine has no load on it, which is usually when a bottom end rattle would occur (like a rod and or rod bearing for instance). I've heard many engines over the years exhibit very similar symptoms w/ bad rod bearings, Toyota 22re and SBF or two to name a couple...

Last edited:

1bad66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
So when does the PI hand the baton to DI? Any specific rpm range or load?
Or the CMCV start opening or closing? Any rpm range
Then there is the variable timing ....what rpm or load is timing pulled out?
From my personal experience the rattle isn't present coasting at all. Nor on decel.
Only shows it's face on tip in. But maybe your personal car is different than what I've experienced.
The symptoms I've seen remind me of an old car that knocks on lower than ideal fuel.
Who knows
Tip in is exactly when my does it, however if you put any load on the engine past that tip itā€™s gone. Letting off the throttle in gear is decel, no matter the speed/gear/rpm. When you relieve that decel condition by ā€˜tipping inā€™ to the throttle you are basically free-wheeling the drivetrain for whatever time you can keep it there..all of which occurs just before the accel load is applied, no matter how small that may be. We are experiencing the same exact condition at the same times I assure you.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Tip in is exactly when my does it, however if you put any load on the engine past that tip itā€™s gone. Letting off the throttle in gear is decel, no matter the speed/gear/rpm. When you relieve that decel condition by ā€˜tipping inā€™ to the throttle you are basically free-wheeling the drivetrain for whatever time you can keep it there..all of which occurs just before the accel load is applied, no matter how small that may be. We are experiencing the same exact condition at the same times I assure you.
So a rod or rod bearing only shows it's face in those conditions?

Sponsored

1bad66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
So a rod or rod bearing only shows it's face in those conditions?
Not only then but is fairly typical. Think about it this way...when the rotating assembly is loaded in either direction (accel or decel) the load takes up any ā€˜slackā€™ per say so it canā€™t rattle. Now if clearances are really excessive it can rattle at other times. Imaging towing a car with a solid bar slid in to your truckā€™s trailer hitch receiver. If you are accelerating or decelerating that bar is loaded and cannot rattle or move around in the receiver, however as soon as you relieve that load itā€™ll to go thru a neutral or unloaded transition. When unloaded that bar can rattle in the hitch.....

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hear what you are saying. I just don't hear the rattle in an unloaded position or a just unloaded situation.
It's more when load is being applied. Do you think higher RPM ...loaded or unloading has the same effect on the rattle?

1bad66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
It could also be piston slap that only occurs under certain light loads at certain engine RPM.
Absolutely could be, and to be clear a rod and/or rod bearing wasnā€™t my only concern. Itā€™s also reminiscent of a wrist pin out of spec as well..

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So as of now the common belief/thought is rod bearings going fubar....causing the slug to scuff up the walls or are they independent of each other.
Absolutely could be, and to be clear a rod and/or rod bearing wasnā€™t my only concern. Itā€™s also reminiscent of a wrist pin out of spec as well..
so my experience today...cold no rattle, operating temp...rattle, rattle on command. Rattle shows itself in first 3 gears but non above that.....hmmmm
Let it heat soak.... rattle at A stand still in the 1800 range, drove it no rattle in anything over 3rd gear. Latter in the day.... no rattle to speak of.
It's got a mind of it's own

Sponsored

NIXPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
18' PP2 Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
In an effort to quiet the rattle since we can't seem to solve it, I unhooked the sound tube from the intake and called the intake side/plugged the tube. I can't believe how much it quieted the cabin and especially the rattle within the cabin. It's quiet livable. If you haven't done the delete it block off, I would suggest you try it immediately for the sake of your sanity while we all try to figure this out.

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
In an effort to quiet the rattle since we can't seem to solve it, I unhooked the sound tube from the intake and called the intake side/plugged the tube. I can't believe how much it quieted the cabin and especially the rattle within the cabin. It's quiet livable. If you haven't done the delete it block off, I would suggest you try it immediately for the sake of your sanity while we all try to figure this out.
I have put off taking out the sound tube for too long. At idle, I hear this diesel engine kinda sound if that makes sense. Its not really audible while sitting on the passenger side so this makes sense that removing the sound tube and plugging the hole in the firewall quiets down the sound pumped into the car especially for the driver. Thanks for confirming that this helps!

EVL-S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Took mine in today for a quick chat with the Foreman at my dealership since I had some squeaking at low speed which ended up just being a dust shield behind the rotors.

Had him listen for the valve clatter/rattle @ 2k. He heard it when I dropped revs but said it was coming from my exhaust he thought . Threw it up in the air and hooked a stethoscope to it. Couldn't find anything. Then handed me the Typewriter Tick SSM...

He said also when it comes to engine replacements, he would do them all day but it's not up to him, it's Ford's call. Said he submits the VIN and Ford let's them know if it's in range and then authorizes based on that. That was a weird comment IMO. That tells me there might be a range of VIN's that are known to have bad engines? He then told me to stay off the issues thread and send the shit out of it, if anything weird pops up bring her back in.

Here is the print out of the SSM. Wording looks different than the threads before. Includes rattle up to 1700 RPM? He pulled this right out of Oasis with me standing in the bay.
IMG_20190304_133455.jpg

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
He said also when it comes to engine replacements, he would do them all day but it's not up to him, it's Ford's call. Said he submits the VIN and Ford let's them know if it's in range and then authorizes based on that. That was a weird comment IMO. That tells me there might be a range of VIN's that are known to have bad engines?
It does sound like there could be a VIN range of engines that Ford knows are bad.

Here is the print out of the SSM. Wording looks different than the threads before. Includes rattle up to 1700 RPM? He pulled this right out of Oasis with me standing in the bay.
IMG_20190304_133455.jpg
Looks like the same wording to me. The SSM number looks different though - strange.

B7371909-3E53-4575-B15F-37A4F7D7BF1A.jpeg

EVL-S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
It does sound like there could be a VIN range of engines that Ford knows are bad.

Looks like the same wording to me. The SSM number looks different though - strange.

B7371909-3E53-4575-B15F-37A4F7D7BF1A.jpeg
That is strange. Maybe they have been updating it? The original one that I saw in here didn't mention the 1700 RPM piece. I also find the 1700 RPM stuff weird because the tick was usually at idle, while the rattle was around 2k for throttle tip in.
Sponsored