Sponsored

Ford will offer a third engine (more powerful 2.3L EcoBoost) to 2020 Mustang lineup

JGillis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taurus SHO
Interesting news...

Ford may offer a third engine in the Mustang

MustangEcoBoost.jpg

Looks like the Ford Mustang is getting a new engine to slot in between the eco-friendly four-banger and the performance-oriented V-8.

Everyone in Dearborn is keeping mum for now—a spokesman said only that the company “is always elevating Mustang and will share more exciting news this spring”—but Ford provided a glimpse of its plan with a recent National Highway Traffic Safety Administration vehicle identification number filing. The paperwork, one of the documents Ford has started filing for vehicles coming in the 2020 model year, shows the company may once again offer three engines in any Mustang without a Shelby badge.

That’s significant, because Ford dropped the V-6 from the base Mustang for the 2018 model after deciding the 2.3-liter EcoBoost four provided better power for just $1000 more. That left the four-banger and the V-8, which carried a $9000 premium, as consumers’ only choices.

Both are fine engines, but that’s quite a gap in power, performance, and price. Ford found itself in a bind even after cutting the price of the base model by $1000 because Chevrolet continued offering three engines in the Camaro. Although Ford’s turbo four beats the Camaro’s turbo four, it falls a full 25 horsepower short of the Chevy’s six.

Uh-oh. Consumers who wanted a little more oomph but didn’t want to step up to the GT were stuck. Safe to assume many of them gave the V-6 Camaro a good long look.

The filing published this week the NHTSA website provides VIN decoder information for a handful of 2020 Ford models, including the Mustang. It lists data for many of the familiar Mustang engines and trim levels along with not one but two engine codes for the 2.3-liter turbocharged engine.

Mustang-EcoBoost-engines.jpg

The second listing lists horsepower as “TBD,” but sources at Ford say we’re looking at a new, higher-powered version of the turbocharged engine. Exact figures remain a mystery, but it seems likely that Ford will aim for exceeding the 335 ponies produced by the Camaro’s V-6. It could even go as high as 350, given that’s what you get from the 2.3-liter EcoBoost four in the wild Focus RS. That wouldn’t be difficult, given that the Mustang’s engine already shares its crank, rods, pistons, camshafts and valvetrain with the engine in the Focus RS. The biggest differences are in the engine block and cylinder head castings and engine tune.

Whatever the final horsepower figure is, Ford won’t have to mess with the gearbox, since it bolts the same MT-82 six-speed manual to both the four- and eight-cylinder engines. The added power might require a beefier clutch than you get with the base model, but that’s an easy change.

Should all this come to pass, expect to pay a few grand more over base for the mid-level Mustang. The EcoBoost Performance Package already available on the base Mustang could be offered as well, perhaps with some customized chassis tuning. That would make the mid-level Mustang a solid competitor against the Camaro V-6 1LE.

At least until Chevrolet decides how to respond.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/02/14/ford-may-offer-third-engine-in-mustang
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Do they really need another 2.3? Are they going to drop the price on the base 2.3?

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Interesting that the 5.0 is rated at the old 435hp and yet they state another 5.0 (with TIVCT.....which the current engine already has!) as TBD.

Be interesting to see what angle they take on this "new" Ecoboost though.

Derkluge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Mustang Hybrid
Doesn’t make sense to me to offer a second 2.3T with a small uptick in horsepower.

It would make much better sense to me if they would offer a “mild hybrid’ version of the 2.3T.

Regarding the 435HP for the 5.0, I wonder if this signals a return to the Gen2 (‘15-‘17) Coyote (not to derail the thread into more tick discussions).

Now, if they offered a mild hybrid with the Coyote, that would be intriguing!

Last edited:

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Doesn’t make sense to me to offer a second 2.3T with a small uptick in horsepower.

It would make much better sense to me if they would offer a “mild hybrid’ version of the 2.3T.

Regarding the 435HP for the 5.0, I wonder if this signals a return to the Gen2 (‘15-‘17) Coyote (not to derail the thread into more tick discussions).

Now, if they offered a mild hybrid with the Coyote, that would be intriguing!
Why da fuck would they bring back an engine that is no longer in production they are probably referring to the right hand drive HP which is less because of the way the header is restricted

Sponsored

Derkluge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Mustang Hybrid
Why da fuck would they bring back an engine that is no longer in production they are probably referring to the right hand drive HP which is less because of the way the header is restricted
Seems unlikely to me that specs for RHD Mustang would be in a US regulatory filing. (Also, I thought the UK Mustang was spec’ed at 444 HP - not 435 like the Gen2 Coyote.)

As for why they could bring back the old engine, I might refer you to the wave of threads discussing the tick (whether the issue is overblown or not).

Last edited:

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
If they come out with a more powerful 2.3 then it's like Ford is forcing my had to get a tune lol. Damn u ford

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Could it be the hybrid version? Ford promised it for 2020, but I think everyone thought that was calendar year 2020. Guess it could be MY2020. Or an SVO.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I wonder if Ford will try using a 2.0 block with 2.3 internals to make that stronger engine or if it will just be a hybrid. Hmmm...

I could also see them lowering the V8 specs to let the V8 hybrid have enough space above it. Honestly, this is probably the beginning of the end of the V8. It'll take awhile to phase out, but they have already started stage 1 of the plan.

Sponsored

coupe3w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67 Mustang FB, 2021 Mach 1, HP, Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
Didn't see the 7.3L mentioned. Could make 1000 HP and just annihilate the Hellcat. LOL

Derkluge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Mustang Hybrid
I could also see them lowering the V8 specs to let the V8 hybrid have enough space above it.
Great point. Would be interesting to see how a mild hybrid V8 fits into the lineup (above the V8 and below the GT350) from a price and performance perspective.

I know Ford already has a 48v mild hybrid system that it’s starting to use in some models. Not sure if anyone knows its weight/power impact (or how much it costs).
That said, I’m ALL OVER the concept of a mild hybrid V8.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Could it be the hybrid version? Ford promised it for 2020, but I think everyone thought that was calendar year 2020. Guess it could be MY2020. Or an SVO.
I also think it's this.

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Interesting that the 5.0 is rated at the old 435hp and yet they state another 5.0 (with TIVCT.....which the current engine already has!) as TBD.

Be interesting to see what angle they take on this "new" Ecoboost though.
I've spoken to two people who claim that a much more complex 5.0 is on the horizon.
Take this however you want.

coupe3w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67 Mustang FB, 2021 Mach 1, HP, Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
I've spoken to two people who claim that a much more complex 5.0 is on the horizon.
Take this however you want.
Oh terrific, just what we need more complex which = more $$$$$$$
Sponsored