Sponsored

listen up people lets have drunk mustang history 1

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
I totally agree. Its the same with fishing. I can catch a lot more, and faster at the supermarket or with dynamite on the lake than with old fashion tackle. Only an idiot would fish the old way.
The problem is, the only lake you can fish is stocked daily with fat and hungry fish. Rev-matching and quick shifters are the final straw in a long series of automatic assists added to "manual" transmissions.
Sponsored

Last edited:

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Cost per HP is only part of the story. Building the rest of the car to properly handle the added HP is more important, and could be more expensive, than the HP added. Take your N/A engine to 500HP, and you can get by on the stock suspension & brakes. Boost to 700HP, and you're an idiot if you don't upgrade the suspension and brakes.
What "boost" are we talking about here? Belt-driven- or exhaust-turbine-air compressors? Why not flood the thing with volatile Oxygen instead of air that is 78% inert Nitrogen?

Removal of Tetraethyl-Lead killed the high compression engines of the muscle car era. High compression is definitely not new, we're just now finding ways to run compression on gasoline engines upward without auto-ignition problems.

For a hole-shot I'll take a 1-speed with a clutch over an automatic any day of the week.

OP
OP

growler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp
I forgot about this thread cuz I was drunk....

OP
OP

growler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp
Engines have had high-compression for decades. Turbos and supers for probably 100 years. Don't know anyone that's not used to them.

Manuals are driven for the connection to the car and the driving experience. Only emotionally immature people think that anything about their car makes them a "superior human being".

Win what?

Been driving and owning cars for 30+ years, autos were always more durable. They don't have clutches that need replacing every few years. As far as MPGs, it depends on the specific time period and car, not just "used to be".

Cost per HP is only part of the story. Building the rest of the car to properly handle the added HP is more important, and could be more expensive, than the HP added. Take your N/A engine to 500HP, and you can get by on the stock suspension & brakes. Boost to 700HP, and you're an idiot if you don't upgrade the suspension and brakes.

ETA: This has nothing to do with Mustang history, but I love arguing. So, keep going.
dude no one in last 30 years has made an 11 to one or greater compression engine except last 5 years..if that,, lets argue

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Who cares if you are a couple tenths slower in a manual than an auto. Either manual or auto is faster than 90% of cars on the road. The other 10% will beat a manual OR an auto.

You know what's better in a manual car? The sound of the exhaust. Nothing like a slow wind to another gear. Try that in an auto and it shifts gears and completely ruins it. This is a general statement. I realize you can do this with paddle shifters.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
dude no one in last 30 years has made an 11 to one or greater compression engine except last 5 years..if that,, lets argue
Nor did anyone set the number 11 as the definition of "high" compression. Average compression ratios have been steadily rising. The Mustangs compression ratio is nothing special. You talk about compression as if going from 10-1 to 11-1 is just like strapping on a turbo, it's not. You talk about increasing compression as if it's a huge power increase, and it's not.

And the real way you make more N/A power is through increased RPMs.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Who cares if you are a couple tenths slower in a manual than an auto. Either manual or auto is faster than 90% of cars on the road. The other 10% will beat a manual OR an auto.

You know what's better in a manual car? The sound of the exhaust. Nothing like a slow wind to another gear. Try that in an auto and it shifts gears and completely ruins it. This is a general statement. I realize you can do this with paddle shifters.
I like how you made a statement. Then voided your own statement at the end.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I like how you made a statement. Then voided your own statement at the end.
I didn't though. Not all cars have paddle shifters. Plus, nobody uses the paddle shifters on these cars. The delay is insane.

Sponsored

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Static compression on the coyote is kind of a moot point. The reason we can get back to higher static compression is fuel advancements besides octane, and how the actual cylinder pressure can be modified via the cam fuel and spark timing. Just like the 18+ higher static compression, but still loves boost is controlling the actual running cylinder pressure with cam, fuel, and spark timings. And I agree with whoever said earlier all things unchanged a point or 2 static compression isn't going to make a huge real world difference.

And for Nova I'm 750+rwhp on bone stock suspension and brakes! 4 wheel disc brakes don't leave a whole lot of room for improvement for my uses, and I don't have any wheel hop or other issues warranting suspension yet.

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe

Manuals are driven for the connection to the car and the driving experience
. Only emotionally immature people think that anything about their car makes them a "superior human being".

ETA: This has nothing to do with Mustang history, but I love arguing. So, keep going.
This I agree with. My wife's auto is extremely fast, and the A10 is quite amazing. But, I find enjoy driving my little '06 GT with the 5 speed more.

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
My twins win everytime:flag:

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I didn't though. Not all cars have paddle shifters. Plus, nobody uses the paddle shifters on these cars. The delay is insane.
At very light throttle input, yes there is a delay. But at a decent throttle input all the way to wide open throttle the response is almost immediate after pressing the paddle to upshift. Click shift click shift, very quick response to the paddles and quick shifts by the transmission.

I use the paddles nearly every day.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Those that can do. Those that can't don't

Manual transmissions are foreplay to a performance vehicle.
Sponsored