Sponsored

Per Ford (officially) the 2011-2019 F150/Mustang 5.0 “Typewriter Tick” is a normal characteristic

racingmason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Not detrimental? They found metal shavings in my oil. Cannot believe FORD let this out. :facepalm: Agree.
What he is getting at is all the people who complain to just complain when they dont have a legitimate complaint. Have you ever broke in a sport bike? Change the oil at 50 miles and you will see metal flakes in the oil.
Sponsored

18P51GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
See, that's a different sound from the tick everyone is talking about. Typewriter tick is just an intermittent, inconsistent tick that randomly occurs at idle-1700RPM. A more consistent tick like that would certainly have me worried

racingmason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium

18P51GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
What he is getting at is all the people who complain to just complain when they dont have a legitimate complaint. Have you ever broke in a sport bike? Change the oil at 50 miles and you will see metal flakes in the oil.
That’s normal. But not at 15,000 along with 2-1/2 qts missing at an oil change lol

18P51GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Worse than this?
Lmao. Sorry. That’s what did on the second block not a week into having it back after I went to go fill it up one morning on my way to work. I drove it directly back to the dealership that morning. Sorry to hear your misfortune.

Sponsored

18P51GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I believe it though. If it weren’t for the actual problem with the engine, I would’ve been able to drive away either couple fixes they did that I didn’t even know existed. One of the fixes was in my intake.
But, yes. I get it. I just wish I was just a little more fortunate.

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
2021 401A Security pckg 20x9 Chrome Wheel Upgrade
For the record i am not hating on my gen 3. I love it so far.

But the idea that Ford's statement that everything is fine is definitive is laughable.

The 2011 MT82 issue cost me about $10,000 out of my own pocket (that was my loss for selling it so soon) and Ford said it was fine to....only if would not engage second gear when cold, at all. (It was fine when warm).

Ford said that part was good to....

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
For the record i am not hating on my gen 3. I love it so far.

But the idea that Ford's statement that everything is fine is definitive is laughable.

The 2011 MT82 issue cost me about $10,000 out of my own pocket (that was my loss for selling it so soon) and Ford said it was fine to....only if would not engage second gear when cold, at all. (It was fine when warm).

Ford said that part was good to....
Did FORD say that was fine, or did your dealership?

I think that's a lot of the issue here, is a lot of people take the dealership's word as Ford's official word. Dealerships do not represent the view of Ford, as they are all privately run (almost like a franchise)

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
2021 401A Security pckg 20x9 Chrome Wheel Upgrade
Did FORD say that was fine, or did your dealership?

I think that's a lot of the issue here, is a lot of people take the dealership's word as Ford's official word. Dealerships do not represent the view of Ford, as they are all privately run (almost like a franchise)
"Normal vehicle behavior" or something similar, both Ford and Ford rep on forums.

Of course it only did it when cold. The trans temp can take 25 to 35 minutes to warm up on a cold day when not being pushed so on a cold day id just be locked out all day every where I went because of shorter trips.

Now on days above 40 or 50F or when I ran it more thsn 30 minutes it shifted beautifully.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Again, the tick has been around since the Coyote came out, and there are plenty of high mile ticking Coyotes out there. If something was actually wrong with the car, Ford would say so (just like they did with the Cobras)
Except they didn’t. They only referenced the tsb when a customer complained.

I’d love to see your data on all the healthy high mile ticking coyotes.

Sponsored

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yesterday I was officially given the F U finger from Ford and the dealer. Info coming from a call yesterday from the Marketing Manager at the dealer

On my second motor I am having the typewriter tick and the 2K slap. The car is at the dealer at the moment and they sent me a video where there is chatter/rattle at lift off during idle.
So the car has three different sounds/slaps/ticks/call it whatever
- On my second motor to rectify the 2K slap my injectors have been swapped and my manifold has been swapped....

I have mainly pushed for the 2K slap while in gear, I have also mentioned that I have the typewriter tick when the car is cold.

Ford released this SSM message now both Ford Sweden and the dealer tells me they won't do anything with the car as the message has been released by Ford.
- Mind you the only Ford technician taking these type of decisions have not even heard or seen the car. Only basing the info from what the dealer have told him.

They are all referring to that the typewriter tick is the same as the 2K slap and the sound at lift of during idle. So they will take no further action... I was telling them how can you interpret the message which states that after an oil change some 5.0L engines at 150F and above and RPM up to 1700 during idle can give a typewriter tick with a 2K slapping sound while in gear driving. They still say it is the same....

To add to this

I have had my front door and front fender painted as they had nudged (this I saw day 1)
My trunk lid has nudged the rear fender and both parts needs to be painted
My window trimmings are not glued properly
I have dust under the paint
I have imperfections in the sheet metal that shows through the paint and clear coat

I have told them I want a similar car that would cost me the same or I want Ford to buy they car back.
They cannot and will not offer me either

Honestly WTF is this....

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
That all depends on what tick they’re talking about I guess. The most common is the pump doing its thing. Then there’s the “controversial” piston slap.
Ford's new SSM is talking about the BBQ tick, which they cal the "typewriter tick". They are not addressing the "2000 RPM rattle".

Are you saying the oil pump is the cause of the BBQ tick? I doubt it since the tick is low and at the rear of the engine, just like Ford said in their SSM. The oil pump is at the front of the engine.

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See, that's a different sound from the tick everyone is talking about. Typewriter tick is just an intermittent, inconsistent tick that randomly occurs at idle-1700RPM. A more consistent tick like that would certainly have me worried
But can dealerships distinguish the difference? I doubt many can, so people that have any kind of ticking are now just going to be told it's "normal" because that's what the SSM says.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, That’s what Ford 5.0 Powertrain Engineering told me 6 months ago. Also said it was oil cavitation causing the noise.
If it's caused by oil cavitation in the journal bearings, then why don't they all do it? Can't be that much difference in bearings to make some tick while others are quiet, while all use the same 5W-20 Motorcraft oil.

If you research oil cavitation, it says thicker oil is more likely to cavitate. So the ticking should be worse at a cold start, or with thicker oil, but seems the opposite is true. It also says that oil cavitation can do lots of damage (surface errosion of metals).

I still think it's caused by excessive rod side clearance and/or excessive crankshaft end play clearance.

Has anyone tried sitting on a steep hill or run the car with the front end up on ramps to see if the BBQ tick changes when the crankshaft is not horizontal? In other words, when gravity is making the crankshaft ride hard on the thrust bearing? If it's excessive end play that test may cause the tick to change or disappear.
Sponsored