Sponsored

Per Ford (officially) the 2011-2019 F150/Mustang 5.0 “Typewriter Tick” is a normal characteristic

BWG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT, 2011 Nissan Versa SL, 1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 5.7
Vehicle Showcase
Far from it pal, but you believe what you want to. This horse has been kicked into the ground and out the other side of the earth, so there's nothing relevant to add to the topic.
Sponsored

gatormark91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 401A Velocity Blue
I got the Service Manager at my local Ford Dealershipt o put in my service record that I have the typewriter tick, and that putting Cera Tech in at oil change will not void or change my engine warranty

Reactions: BWG

BWG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT, 2011 Nissan Versa SL, 1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 5.7
Vehicle Showcase
That seems like a good idea. Did he actually hear it when he agreed to do that for you?

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
This isn’t normally my thing but the only way this gets resolved is a class action. Customers have reason to expect their engine should last until they’re done with the vehicle, not whenever the manufacturer feels they won’t have to cover the repairs.

In 2003-2004, the 4.6 DOHC in the Cobra has this exact same sound. It was caused by an ever-so-slightly off angle valve guide casting. The tick showed up around 40k miles.

Ford irked its customers then by refusing to do a recall. But at least... in that case, they put out a technical service bulletin that allowed customers complaining about the issue to have the heads replaced. Unfortunately, the casting issue wasn’t resolved for a few years.

Sure, replacing heads on this many cars is expensive. But it’s the right thing to do.

Fords OHC engines are noisy. But an actual tick sound is distinct from that. Yet, normal operation does sound s but clicky.

I don’t know how many are experiencing this. Or how many saying it’s a tick are new to ford DOHC V8s. But it seems at least a few knowledgeable people have a real tick.

Hopefully it’s limited to a certain batch of engines.

But it sounds like ford is trying to cop out.

That’s why I say class action. I had the tick in my terminator. Ended up replacing the engine since I didn’t want new heads on an old engine. At my expense since warranty was over.

If I was affected now, I’d be livid over fords response.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Again, the tick has been around since the Coyote came out, and there are plenty of high mile ticking Coyotes out there. If something was actually wrong with the car, Ford would say so (just like they did with the Cobras)

Sponsored

Excel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT and 2015 F150
It's staggering to me that people here still think they know more than Ford...

There are plenty of coyotes out there that have the tick and run perfectly fine for over 100,000 miles. If Ford says it's normal, then it's normal. Yes, I'd like to know what they think causes it, but the chances of them releasing this statement without a known cause are slim to none, and if the cause was really something to be concerned about, then they wouldn't have released the statement at all
GM ran into the same issue years ago as well,early LS motors..They called it normal,till they broke.
You can however you tube up a shit ton of unhappy 2018+ 5.0 owners with
broken shit.. So when you suck up to Ford because they say its NORMAL,ask them
how many engines they replaced in the last 6 months...A staggering amount .
Borescopes dont lie and a wiped out cyl is nothing but junk.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
- Operating characteristic - yet it only happens to some vehicles. (only noticed on some vehicles)
- No explanation as to the cause (no explanation needed)
- Off what basis can they claim its not detrimential to the engine? Why don't they share this information? (because there's no reason to if it's not detrimental)
- Not detrimential... - so it causes some damage? (Definition; Detrimental- tending to cause harm. In other words, "not detrimental" = "Doesn't cause harm". Detrimental doesn't mean total failure, it means some kind of impairment)
- Announcement was not proof read - who issued this statement? Corporate ? (Who cares. Read through your owner's manual, I'm sure you'll find some typos)
- And why are so many engines being replaced with scored cyclinders on ticking engines? (because a small percentage of engines actually have an issue. The rest are just people freaking out over nothing)
Fixed

GM ran into the same issue years ago as well,early LS motors..They called it normal,till they broke.
You can however you tube up a shit ton of unhappy 2018+ 5.0 owners with
broken shit.. So when you suck up to Ford because they say its NORMAL,ask them
how many engines they replaced in the last 6 months...A staggering amount .
Yep, and look at the kind of shit GM got caught up in for that... you really think another manufacturer would willingly go down that path? https://www.thecarconnection.com/ne...-switch-death-toll-reaches-19-could-go-higher
Yes, you can youtube *a couple* you tubers with a tick that lead to nothing but warranted them an unnecessary engine replacement due to their following. That still doesn't even represent 1% of mustang owners. And no, there haven't been a "staggering amount" of engine replacements.

Y'all are freaking out over nothing. Not a single one of you bitching about the non-existent issue have anywhere near the authority or experience at Ford. Until you actually have some evidence that proves the tick is directly related to any kind of damage, kindly shut the fuck up and move on

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Not detrimental? They found metal shavings in my oil. Cannot believe FORD let this out. :facepalm: Agree.

Last edited:

18P51GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Again, the tick has been around since the Coyote came out, and there are plenty of high mile ticking Coyotes out there. If something was actually wrong with the car, Ford would say so (just like they did with the Cobras)
So the engineer at the motor company dispo’d to swap out a short block for no reason? Why would they do that if the noise was normal? That doesn’t make any sense.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
So the engineer at the motor company dispo’d to swap out a short block for no reason? Why would they do that if the noise was normal? That doesn’t make any sense.
Do you have any way of guaranteeing that your engine damage was directly related to the tick? no? Well, then Ford probably doesn't either, but they do have a way of guaranteeing that the tick doesn't have a direct correlation to any sort of damage to the engines

Sponsored

OhNoA5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Orange Fury GT
Just some info from a guy who has worked in a dealership service dept for a long time. TSB's are for the dealership for the most part, most of the time the customer never see or hears about them. They are designed to help with diagnosis for techs and for warranty claims, it will show new part numbers for the updated part, a brief synopsis of the problem and labor time to install. It is always short and sweet because most tech's could care less as to what the root cause is, they just want to know what to replace. Most only get paid flat rate not hourly. TBS's are common on ALL makes and models. They drop so often that most dealer employees don't even read them all, just too many between all models. TSB's streamline the process of repairs and drop warranty costs. For example techs will not be able to claim diagnostic time and it cuts down on a misdiagnosed failure/non failure. So what this TSB tells me is that too many engines where replaced where there was no failure. This is why you see so many people complaining that engine was replaced and the new one is making the same noise. Just so everyone knows, when the dealership warranties a part most of the time the manufacture has the part sent back to them to check for failure and to reman some stuff (like transmissions). So I can promise you most of the short blocks replaced did not have failures when inspected and Ford is not going to keep paying dealerships to replace them when they are not bad. Now with this TSB out any dealer that replaces a short block without a district rep or tech line approval will not get paid on the claim.

18P51GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have any way of guaranteeing that your engine damage was directly related to the tick? no? Well, then Ford probably doesn't either, but they do have a way of guaranteeing that the tick doesn't have a direct correlation to any sort of damage to the engines

After I made this video, I took it to the service department. The motor company told them to inspect the oil. It came out positive for having metal. They then told them to inspect the cylinder bores. They came up with scoring in #3 which was where the noise was coming from. That’s when the motor company told them to change it out with a new short block.
As of today it sit back their shop for the same thing again. Only now, it’s #8. There’s a newer video of that one too.
It is what it is.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase

After I made this video, I took it to the service department. The motor company told them to inspect the oil. It came out positive for having metal. They then told them to inspect the cylinder bores. They came up with scoring in #3 which was where the noise was coming from. That’s when the motor company told them to change it out with a new short block.
As of today it sit back their shop for the same thing again. Only now, it’s #8. There’s a newer video of that one too.
It is what it is.
See, that's a different sound from the tick everyone is talking about. Typewriter tick is just an intermittent, inconsistent tick that randomly occurs at idle-1700RPM. A more consistent tick like that would certainly have me worried

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
So what this TSB tells me is that too many engines where replaced where there was no failure. This is why you see so many people complaining that engine was replaced and the new one is making the same noise. Just so everyone knows, when the dealership warranties a part most of the time the manufacture has the part sent back to them to check for failure and to reman some stuff (like transmissions). So I can promise you most of the short blocks replaced did not have failures when inspected and Ford is not going to keep paying dealerships to replace them when they are not bad. Now with this TSB out any dealer that replaces a short block without a district rep or tech line approval will not get paid on the claim.
This is what I've been saying. I feel like MOST of the people who had engines replaced due to the tick didn't actually NEED the engine replaced, they were just scared of the unknown. Now that we know that it's normal, there should be nothing to worry about

18P51GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

It is what it is.
Either way, it’s warranted. They’ll eventually get going again.
Sponsored