Sponsored

Anyone break in engine properly AND have oil consumption issues?

OP
OP

Abg123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2016 BMW M3
Appreciate it you guys... I just wanted to understand if it was better to buy a MY 2019.... And break it in myself.. or save a few bucks on a used MY 2018
Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
This is kinda like - "Anyone wear protection and still get an STD?". Well, yes - but no one is giving the real details ;)

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I for one admire his perseverance. Many a night a lie in bed looking at the ceiling thinking to myself "thank heavens guys like Randy M are out there to repeatedly warn me about my car..."
I forgot he existed until you posted that. He's still at it, eh? I think I called it when I labelled him "very bitter". Just wow.

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
"Observation of oil transport in piston ring pack through a transparent cylinder. Since reducing friction loss around the piston is a top demand, there has been a tendency for rings to be narrower in width and lower in tension. In this case, an increase in oil consumption becomes an issue. With a transparent glass cylinder, the mechanism can be analyzed."
https://www.tpr.co.jp/tp_e/products/pistonring/technology.html
Yeap. Guessing this may have been some of the reasons behind diff pistons and rings on the 18 YMā€™s.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It is difficult to get a good read on what is really going on with oil consumption with this group. I donā€™t think the process of break in has much to do with the more serious consumption problems we read about. This engine is unique to most engines that it incorporates the oil spray system under the pistons. This system will help reduce piston temperatures and expansion along with exposing more oil to migrate past the piston. I truly feel this may be a major contributor.
I also don't think that break in will cause major oil consumption issues. Especially the issues that only turn up after many thousands of miles. Those are definitely caused by something else. Something that either wore out or broke but only after thousands of miles.

I do think that gentle break in could be the difference between zero oil consumption and 1/2 to 1 quart consumption per oil change, though.

Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I forgot he existed until you posted that. He's still at it, eh? I think I called it when I labelled him "very bitter". Just wow.
He's slumming. HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I don't disagree with your statements, but I will also say that I just can't figure out why Ford makes changes in some things and not others. For example, they changed the oil filter design mid-year in MY17, but I don't think there were nearly as many engines with oil filter problems as there were with oil consumption problems. And if there were, why didn't Ford recall earlier 2017s and all 2016s and 15s to retrofit the new oil filter design? They did this for the oil cooler lines, and I only heard of one instance of those actually having an issue.

Another known failing is the non-billet oil pump gear. Since Ford doesn't release the actual cause of engine failures on those replaced under warranty, we can only speculate as to how many have actually failed due to a broken OPG, however a cursory search through these forums reveals several instances in which the OPG failure was obvious even before Ford agreed to replace the engine. Why hasn't Ford issued a recall for this issue?

My point is that there just doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason why Ford makes some changes, issues some recalls, and totally ignores others. And in the absence of Ford issuing not so much as a TSB on how to *resolve* an oil consumption issue rather than just stating that it's "normal" for these engines, we're all left to try to address it ourselves. I go back to what's always worked for me, and that's a tried-and-true engine break-in procedure.
This is what I am struggling with. Just zero communication from Ford. do I purchase a 2019 hoping it has "something" improved on the engine? All the talk of the 2019's having improved rings, gt500 block, etc... is just speculation. The only thing that seems strange is that the 2019's were not released/available last year when the regular GT's came out...

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
This is what I am struggling with. Just zero communication from Ford. do I purchase a 2019 hoping it has "something" improved on the engine? All the talk of the 2019's having improved rings, gt500 block, etc... is just speculation. The only thing that seems strange is that the 2019's were not released/available last year when the regular GT's came out...
The late release makes sense, actually, for two reasons. First, they have MPSC2 tires which Ford won't deliver during the depth of winter because they get damaged in the cold. Second, the side-effect of the delay was to allow the Bullitt release to take place without having to compete with the GT350.

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
'19 Kona Blue w/blk roof & blk stripes GT350, 89 LX5.0 Sedan (Mustangs Past: 69's Coupe, Mach 1, & GT)
Just going to throw this out there, our engines are run up to redline and "broken in" on an engine dyno at the factory before they even go into our cars.
For what it's worth Ray @ Ford Performance told me today (4/18) that this does not happen - only an occasional sampling of voodoo motors are dyno tested.

Sponsored

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
'19 Kona Blue w/blk roof & blk stripes GT350, 89 LX5.0 Sedan (Mustangs Past: 69's Coupe, Mach 1, & GT)
"This is what I am struggling with. Just zero communication from Ford. do I purchase a 2019 hoping it has "something" improved on the engine? All the talk of the 2019's having improved rings, gt500 block, etc... is just speculation."

Ford will never tell you to wait for the next model year or admit a problem on something that is in high demand/short supply (they can't screw dealers with that Osborn effect) but AFIK any rumored motor changes were to apply to MY20 350's not the MY19's. The speculation part is whether the changes are only for economies of scale, with some parts common to the GT500, or whether there are some other benefits.
Consider this - If you get a 19 and if it is in the minority that has a motor problem the replacement just might be a newer version - in the future....and if you don't have a failure nothing is lost (especially not having fun in the present) <shrug>

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Glad to not know what I didnā€™t know when I got my GT350.

Granny drove it for the first hundred. After that, made sure to keep the rpms in the sweet range in most gears not going over 4K rpms until it was up to temp. Ensured most times I took her out I got to redline at least once, typically in second.

I might use 1/2 quart ā€˜a seasonā€™ which for me is May - October, maybe November depending on the first salt.

This upcoming season will be the first for me to test out @Hack ā€™s theory of not adding oil when the level is within what Ford calls ā€œadequateā€ - between the holes...in the past I would top it off when it was nearing the lower hole.
Sponsored