Sponsored

Per Ford (officially) the 2011-2019 F150/Mustang 5.0 “Typewriter Tick” is a normal characteristic

18P51GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Well if Ford is confident in making this statement they will also have to be confident to validate it under scrutiny when a failure occurs after a customer complains about the ticking prior and it ends up being something bore related, piston slap, or whatever.

Personally I had the ticking on my 15GT, no issues, I have the ticket on my 16 EBM, no issues, and I have the ticking on my 16 Focus with the 1.0L Ecoboost, no issues so.
Then obviously, you’re a fortunate one and don’t have to worry about piston slap.
We are all happy for you.
Cheers
Sponsored

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT 401a MT82
Piston slap in of itslef is not bad. My inline 6 engine on my bmw 325e with 70k miles had piston slap when cold and went away once warm. Same as these engines.

Bladex10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra
This is the same shit they said with that automated dual clutch transmission they put in the Focus/Fiesta(and others im not sure) in 2012+. Bought a brand new 2012 Focus for a commuter and had to deal with Ford telling me that a car that resembled a 12 year old trying to drive a manual transmission for the first time was "normal". Sure enough, The transmission fried itself with 41k miles on the car. Turns out that problem was happening with enough people that a class action lawsuit came from it.

18P51GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Piston slap in of itslef is not bad. My inline 6 engine on my bmw 325e with 70k miles had piston slap when cold and went away once warm. Same as these engines.
You may be right. But when guy next to me at a stop light gets me to roll my window down to ask me if I’m ok because he can here it,.. that’s a little embarrassing.

18P51GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
This is the same shit they said with that automated dual clutch transmission they put in the Focus/Fiesta(and others im not sure) in 2012+. Bought a brand new 2012 Focus for a commuter and had to deal with Ford telling me that a car that resembled a 12 year old trying to drive a manual transmission for the first time was "normal". Sure enough, The transmission fried itself with 41k miles on the car. Turns out that problem was happening with enough people that a class action lawsuit came from it.
Well that’s interesting

Sponsored

Rothgray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I have to disagree. GM Said in 1997 when the LS Engine came out, that Piston Slap was normal.

18P51GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have to disagree. GM Said in 1997 when the LS Engine came out, that Piston Slap was normal.
Well if you’d like to drive a nice looking Camaro with what sounds like a rod knock and have everyone stare at you, that’s your decision.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
I had to look up Ceratec- never heard of it. I find that the noise comes and goes in mine and it depends on the temperature outside and that relates to the temperature of the oil. Normally it's very hot where I live- low of 78 and high's mid 90's. I got my car in August of last year when it was hot. The ticking started after about 1500 miles. And also the 2K RPM rattle when cold. But just 2 weeks ago when the temps' dipped into the upper 40's here I did not hear the ticking- but the rattling was very prominent. Then it warmed back up in the 70's and I hear the ticking. I use the 5W-20 oil as specified. The manual does mention that 5W-30 is acceptable for "track" use. Does 5W-30 lessen the noise and better to use in very hot climates? And does Ceratec with 5W-30 really lessen or stop the noise as one post mentioned?
5w30 is probably better to use all the time in any 5w20 car. The main reason car makers started to move to 5w20 was to get about a 1.5% CAFE credit across the fleet. This is an accounting decision not an engineering decision. Read up on it. When 5W20 was first introduced it was a North America only thing, and the same engines being sold overseas were still calling for 5W30 or even 5W40. In some cases the same engines being sold in the US under different nameplates were being sold recommending 5W30. Obviously if 5W30 is good on the track, under more harsh conditions, it's good everyday. The "5W" is the same, so cold start performance should be about the same (and yea, I know not every 5W is the same). I recommend "bob is the oil guy" website for further investigation. 5W20 is really thin when hot.

18P51GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Well if you’d like to drive a nice looking Camaro with what sounds like a rod knock and have everyone stare at you, that’s your decision.
And if piston slap was deemed normal, all cars would have it

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Ford never issued an official statement saying that was normal. They issued a TSB that stated that there were seals that could become faulty and destroy the clutch packs. The only result of the class action lawsuit was that Ford started paying for repairs on vehicles less than 7 years old with under 100k miles, but they never said that the drivability issues were a normal occurrence. For the record, I also had the trans replaced on my commuter focus at about 80k miles

Sponsored

18P51GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for posting this. Wonder how they determine what is considered abnormal then. I would also like to know what the explanation is for WHY it’s doing it, but thats probably wishful thinking.
That all depends on what tick they’re talking about I guess. The most common is the pump doing its thing. Then there’s the “controversial” piston slap.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Which is why I pointed out that contrary to the thread name Ford NEVER said it was normal, only that it wasn't detrimental to function or durability.

Issues

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT. 1990 LX 5.0 . 2006 F-150. 76 RD400. 73 H2. 75 RD350
I believe its normal. All piston engines slap to some degree. Some you just don't hear. Has anyone ever seen a used piston without some type of rub mark on it?

BWG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT, 2011 Nissan Versa SL, 1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 5.7
Vehicle Showcase
So, since the tick is normal, and not having the tick seems abnormal, does any sucker want to trade theirs for my ticking one? :like:

18P51GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
So, since the tick is normal, and not having the tick seems abnormal, does any sucker want to trade theirs for my ticking one? :like:
And this just reaffirms why I should never argue with anyone who doesn’t understand thermal dynamics and machining. Trolls still attached to momma.
Good luck dude
Sponsored