Not open for further replies.

XxShadexX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2014 YZF-R6
Hey Guys, so I am looking to buy a new mustang as my daily driver, and I'm caught up between the 350 and the GT. so in my situation I have found a new GT 350 listed within 3k of a GT pp1 that is fully loaded, magnaride, Recaros, electronics.... the works. so my thought when looking at the two cars is the GT has all this fancy tech like the gauges and heated steering, sound system ectc, as well as premium interior, yet the 350 is more likely to give the exhilarating ride I want.

Unfortunately living on Long Island, the local dealerships wont let me test drive a 350, but I have managed to get behind the wheel of a 10 speed, and I got to say no matter the drive mode it shifted before I felt any torque, it was very underwhelming especially compared to an SS I also tested. This has me hesitant about the GT, even though the one I am now considering is a manual. I actually manage to daily drive an R6 out here, despite the cold, and I love the high rev, high end torque, so I know that what ill get with the 350 atleast, and the interior isn't so bad when your actually sitting in one, but knowing I am buying a "brand new car" that is essentially 5 years old and it is a bit disheartening, and as I'll be caught in traffic a decent amount those lacking comforts will probably be missed.

So essentially, I'm wondering if my experience with the 10spd is what I should expect from a manual GT, and if it can match the experience I get with my motorcycle, or do you guys think the 350's engine outweighs its technology/comfort short comings.

I'm surrounded by GM fans over here unfortunately so I definitely appreciate some mustang fan input!
Sponsored

64Chevy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
1964 Chevy C10, 1998 BMW M3, 2008 Lotus Exige 240S, 2013 911 C4S, 2015 Wrangler Rubicon
I'm not sure if this is going to help, but here goes. I am between a GT350 (likely a new '18) and a new '19 GT with the plan to add a supercharger. What I'm looking for is something that hits hard from around 2K RPM, and will at least start to spin the tires. My reference is a Hellcat (which, to me, actually breaks the rear end loss too easily at too little a throttle opening). So I have test driven a '19 GT (but with the 3.55 diff) and a '16 350--both manuals. I also puttered around the parking lot in a '17 350.

I think the '17 plus interiors are well worth the upgrade over the '16 and lower. The Shelby I drove felt tingly, alive, and would break the rear end loose. The GT would not (now my test was a DD test--cruising along at 2500 rpm what happens when you dip into the throttle). Lots of problems with my comparison--the GT was new, the Shelby broken in, and the ambient air temp was about 15 degrees colder when I drove the Shelby.

To me, with a GT, you can get (if you option it up) a better stereo, a heated steering wheel, and a digital dash--all of which have their place. And for about the same money you can throw a blower on the GT and make significantly more power (which may or may not be a plus--see my Hellcat comment above), but then you have the whole not-factory, no warranty, etc, issues.

Everybody would make a different decision, but I am hot on the train of trying to score a remaining Shelby on some lot somewhere in the US. If that works I'm good--if it doesn't I'll be a GT and plan on putting a blower on it.

5.2 liters of democracy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray GT350
Hey Guys, so I am looking to buy a new mustang as my daily driver, and I'm caught up between the 350 and the GT. so in my situation I have found a new GT 350 listed within 3k of a GT pp1 that is fully loaded, magnaride, Recaros, electronics.... the works. so my thought when looking at the two cars is the GT has all this fancy tech like the gauges and heated steering, sound system ectc, as well as premium interior, yet the 350 is more likely to give the exhilarating ride I want.

Unfortunately living on Long Island, the local dealerships wont let me test drive a 350, but I have managed to get behind the wheel of a 10 speed, and I got to say no matter the drive mode it shifted before I felt any torque, it was very underwhelming especially compared to an SS I also tested. This has me hesitant about the GT, even though the one I am now considering is a manual. I actually manage to daily drive an R6 out here, despite the cold, and I love the high rev, high end torque, so I know that what ill get with the 350 atleast, and the interior isn't so bad when your actually sitting in one, but knowing I am buying a "brand new car" that is essentially 5 years old and it is a bit disheartening, and as I'll be caught in traffic a decent amount those lacking comforts will probably be missed.

So essentially, I'm wondering if my experience with the 10spd is what I should expect from a manual GT, and if it can match the experience I get with my motorcycle, or do you guys think the 350's engine outweighs its technology/comfort short comings.

I'm surrounded by GM fans over here unfortunately so I definitely appreciate some mustang fan input!
The GT350 is going to feel slower in traffic. It really needs to get out and stretch it's legs. My personal opinion is the engine is worth the price, especially if you're looking at such a small delta. You may try reaching out to some of the guys on the forums and see if maybe you could ride along with them in their 350. If you're looking at manual transmissions, the 350 is flat out the better choice. I apologize to the GT guys since I don't typically like to say that something is objectively better, but that is the case with the transmission. That being said, I'd recommend manually shifting the 10 speed and then trying the manual and see if that fixes the shifting issue you're concerned about.

Just a few things to consider.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
If it was shifting too soon to not feel power then you probably weren't giving it enough gas. Above 4,000 rpm the Gen 3 Coyote 5.0 engine in the 18+ GT has some serious pull. And it pulls hard all the way to the redline. And it sounds glorious doing it IMO. The A10 GT does the 1/4 mile quicker and at a similar or slightly higher trap speed than the GT350 and GT350R. That A10 and Gen 3 Coyote drivetrain in the 18/19 GT is no joke. I agree that below 3k rpms is not its bread and butter, torque-wise, like a bigger displacement OHV V8 as in the Camaro SS. However, I find it more than adequate for normal daily traffic, even for passing I don't have to come anywhere near wide open throttle. The 5.0 in the 18/19 GT sounds great, but it won't quite sound like the flat plant crank 5.2 Voodoo in the GT350. One of the things I needed, or rather, that was really important to me, was the Safe and smart package. It has all of the modern safety technology. If my memory serves me correct, the GT350 doesn't have as many safety tech. options. One thing to note is that I think the GT350 has even less bottom end torque than the 5.0. The last dyno I saw of the GT350 engine had a serious jump in torque around 3,500 rpm or so. And to compound that compared to the A10 GT, it only has 6 gears. If the GT350 could be optioned with the A10, that would be one quick car. It would be an 11.8 second car in the 1/4 mile from the factory and trap about 121 mph. My GT Premium has the A10, MagneRide, PP1, and the Safe and Smart package. It's optioned perfectly for me. Hope this helps.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
^^^ yeah I was gonna say if it was shifting too soon, you weren't really driving it.

Based on the things you seem to be prioritizing, I would not go for the Shelby. It is a car you need to push to really enjoy, and only really at home on a racetrack. I did a nearly 2000 mile round trip to COTA (and drove half of it) with my best friend in his '17 GT350 and while it is an incredible car all around, my car is better for most street driving.

Sponsored

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
I ended up getting a lightly used GT350 vice a brand new GT. It was a local sale and the previous owner was an acquaintance and I knew it had not been flogged (at least not too bad). So, some things to think about. Recaros on both the GT350 and the GT are not power/heated/cooled, but you can get the heated/cooled seats on the GT350 with the appropriate package. The GT350 is going to have a little more NVH. The Voodoo doesn't have a ton of low end torque, but in traffic this actually makes it very driveable. When you let it free it is an amazing pull and sound all the way out to redline. That being said, in the city you are at handcuff speed really fast. Another thing with the GT350 is that you WILL scrape on a lot of driveways. If you have some steep driveways you have to get in/out of on a regular basis it will be unpleasant, potentially impossible. The GT350 looks better. All the fenders and hood are different than a regular 'stang, while a GTPP fully loaded has the exact same sheet metal as a base Ecoboost. Even people who are not "car people" immediately notice the GT350 is something different.

OP
OP

XxShadexX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2014 YZF-R6
Thanks for the feedback guys,

5.2 - One thing I forgot about while mulling this over was the MT82 vs Tremec, honestly having not tried either I cant have an opinion, but I've read a lot about the issues shifting 1-2 in colder weather or breaking the forks all together, definitely a reason to go twords the 350

Idaho - I do know the powerband kicks in after 4, in my experience the car was upshifting around there though, I would of presumed gas being the reason if it wasn't for me being in sports mode. I found the manual paddles had a delay when using them which was also disappointing. as I mentioned I also had tried an SS around the same time, its 8 speed was far more responsive and I always felt like I had power. I was just reading that the transmission itself has a break in time and can be sluggish and off on shift timing for the first couple hundred miles so maybe that's a reason for my experience?
the safety packages were something I was looking forward to as well, I certainly wouldn't pass them up if they are an option. I think the 350 gets the blind spot at least. I haven't had a vehicle with them before though but it would be a nice feature for sure. actually one of the things I like about ford are the blind spot mirrors, having to drive a transit for work I find them to be a life saver.

Bmcal - I wish I was able to actually test the car out here to know how I'd feel on this, My MC requires clutch feathering to keep moving in rubber band traffic at snail's paces (less than 10mph), I can only imagine that would be harder in a car like this. one pleasant thought though is my schedule thankfully avoids rush hour out here.
The fact that it is more of a track based car is what draws me to it, I ride a track specific bike all year and suffer for it, but I also love it. but I am excited to be out of the cold air and shielded from the potholes

Tomcat - the seats were one of my issues at first, I like the idea of a snug gripping seat, but I know I'll be sitting in the cold waiting for the car to get to operating temperature. I did get the chance to sit in the fabric Recaro and they are far more comfortable than the standard GT premium seats. Neither car I'm looking at will have heated seats, though the GT still maintains the heated steering
NVH wont be an issue if the exhaust beats it out :rockon:

After reading your responses and mulling it over more I'm leaning back twords the 350. The big thing I wasn't taking into account was the transmission difference, having heard about the reliability issues in the MT82, and it also reminded me of the BBQ tick. I think the one piece of tech I'd really miss is the digital dash, hopefully one day a modified version for the 350 surfaces

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
By all means if you can afford it, the maintenance and the gas, get the GT 350. One of many reasons is resale value. Another is if you are going to track it, it's way better and so track ready. A second choice would be (And I love my GT, don't get me wrong- it is a wonderful car, a great daily driver, runs on 87 octane, gives all the thrills I will ever want in a V8 muscle car, gets good gas mileage. I paid only 30K for it and I can afford it on my low, declining pay check as I approach retirement) is an SS1LE- it's a fantastic track racing machine.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Surely the GT350, it has a great sounding engine, you haven't got to deal with the annoyance of a 10 speed auto (paddle shifting those gears would be a nightmare) to get decent acceleration, the front end looks miles better and it's more exclusive.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I had a brief drive in an acquaintance's GT350R and, frankly, I was not impressed at all in city driving. If any factory-built car needed a 4.09 axle gear from the factory, this is it. @BmacIL nails my other thoughts on the topic 100%.

I personally think the GT would be a better driver given your location, but I understand the pull of the GT350. I still sorta want one, but on the other hand I like what I have.

Sponsored

MikeMM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 on order
Having owned both a 15 GTP-PP and now a 17 GT350, my loyalties lie with the 350 all the way. The GT is a great car, and I loved mine the entire time I had it as a DD. It had all the features and all that to keep me happy and comfortable as a 21 year old who just got his first pony car. I traded the car in at the end of 2016 because I needed something more winter focused moving back home to Vermont. Fast forward 2 years and I'm in the market for a mustang again. I went to the local Ford dealer to check out a 2017 GTP-PP they had in stock; that is until I hit the start button on the GT350 for the first time. There is a visceral and primal anger the GT350 harnesses that's just impossible to explain unless you've driven one. Sure, I don't have all the fancy features and all that of the GT, but I honestly don't miss any of it. The GT350 is a whole other world, and I enjoy the simplicity of the whole thing. If you want less features, crazy sounds, a capable track car, and can afford it, I'd say go with the GT350. If you want features and cheaper, then a GT is going to be your best bet. I'd never go back to a GT after owning a GT350, but that's just me.

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
I owned a '15 GTPP before buying my '17 GT350 Convenience Pack car.

The GTPP had better low end torque, and I used that torque every day to amuse myself and enjoy the car. The GT350 wakes up after 3.5K on the tach, and is so much fun to drive fast. the thing is, how often can you drive around at 100mph without risking jail time?

The handling, feel and sound of the GT350 is superior to that of the GTPP. The GT350 is like driving a scalpel. For the kind of traffic you're describing though, I think the GTPP1 is a better choice. You'll have more torque in the usable range of your daily driving conditions, and the handling/feel of the GTPP1 is still fantastic.

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic

5.2 - One thing I forgot about while mulling this over was the MT82 vs Tremec, honestly having not tried either I cant have an opinion, but I've read a lot about the issues shifting 1-2 in colder weather or breaking the forks all together, definitely a reason to go twords the 350
On the transmission note, make sure you get a reasonable amount of seat time (in the GT) before buying. I owned a '16 manual for 3 months and would not buy another MT82 car.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10

Idaho - I do know the powerband kicks in after 4, in my experience the car was upshifting around there though, I would of presumed gas being the reason if it wasn't for me being in sports mode. I found the manual paddles had a delay when using them which was also disappointing. as I mentioned I also had tried an SS around the same time, its 8 speed was far more responsive and I always felt like I had power. I was just reading that the transmission itself has a break in time and can be sluggish and off on shift timing for the first couple hundred miles so maybe that's a reason for my experience?
the safety packages were something I was looking forward to as well, I certainly wouldn't pass them up if they are an option. I think the 350 gets the blind spot at least. I haven't had a vehicle with them before though but it would be a nice feature for sure. actually one of the things I like about ford are the blind spot mirrors, having to drive a transit for work I find them to be a life saver.
Obviously, the GT350 is an awesome car and you can't go wrong. I'm sure if I owned one I would rave about it as I do my A10 GT. Regarding the paddle shifts: in manual mode there is a delay if you are babying it - and I think this is the same in the SS A8. When giving it a decent amount of throttle or more, however, the A10 responds and shifts very quickly. Maybe give the GT another test drive, this time pushing it a little harder.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
If you don't like the power band of the GT 5.0, you'll hate the power band of the 5.2 Voodoo.

These are not low-RPM grunt engines, they're high-RPM screamers. They're small displacement V-8s.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.