Sponsored

Per Ford (officially) the 2011-2019 F150/Mustang 5.0 “Typewriter Tick” is a normal characteristic

Jonyxz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 401A 10R80
Translation: just send it!
Sponsored

samanosuke47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
Meh. Warranties exist for a reason, seems to be plenty of people that just live with it fine.
I guess it'll either be an issue or not be an issue. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Maybe it's just misunderstood...

the-tick-2.jpg

choate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10 401A with Active Exhaust
I can’t believe you guys put a foreign oil additive in to quiet a noise you think it’s an engine problem. It’s not supposed to be in there. I don’t think. Wtf is ceratec lol

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I can’t believe you guys put a foreign oil additive in to quiet a noise you think it’s an engine problem. It’s not supposed to be in there. I don’t think. Wtf is ceratec lol
It's just an anti friction additive sold by Liqui Moli. There is plenty of info available online. They're a well respected oil/lubrication company from Germany that tends to be popular in the Benz and BMW communities.

I'm not saying it's good or bad either way. But it does reduce friction and for some reason stops these engines from sounding like they have a combination of a bad rod, some broken engine mounts and a lose exhaust system that Ford says is acceptable.

Sponsored

CAL Captain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
I'm not so sure about oil levels. Plenty of us have had the tick without low oil levels or oil consumption. Perhaps it might make it worse but is not the reason.

Also, why does ceratec fix the issue?
Based upon my experience, it doesn't.

choate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10 401A with Active Exhaust
Synthetic oil. The original anti friction modifier

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Synthetic oil. The original anti friction modifier
Yes, but all oil brands also add various addive packs to their oils that improve them for a wide variety of properties. A pure synthetic oil looks like clear water.

Royal purple is purple because of their additives, which make up over a quarter of the oil.

Deleted member 35786

Question is has there been a legitimate documented case of engine failure due to the tick?

Sponsored

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I had to look up Ceratec- never heard of it. I find that the noise comes and goes in mine and it depends on the temperature outside and that relates to the temperature of the oil. Normally it's very hot where I live- low of 78 and high's mid 90's. I got my car in August of last year when it was hot. The ticking started after about 1500 miles. And also the 2K RPM rattle when cold. But just 2 weeks ago when the temps' dipped into the upper 40's here I did not hear the ticking- but the rattling was very prominent. Then it warmed back up in the 70's and I hear the ticking. I use the 5W-20 oil as specified. The manual does mention that 5W-30 is acceptable for "track" use. Does 5W-30 lessen the noise and better to use in very hot climates? And does Ceratec with 5W-30 really lessen or stop the noise as one post mentioned?

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I had to look up Ceratec- never heard of it. I find that the noise comes and goes in mine and it depends on the temperature outside and that relates to the temperature of the oil. Normally it's very hot where I live- low of 78 and high's mid 90's. I got my car in August of last year when it was hot. The ticking started after about 1500 miles. And also the 2K RPM rattle when cold. But just 2 weeks ago when the temps' dipped into the upper 40's here I did not hear the ticking- but the rattling was very prominent. Then it warmed back up in the 70's and I hear the ticking. I use the 5W-20 oil as specified. The manual does mention that 5W-30 is acceptable for "track" use. Does 5W-30 lessen the noise and better to use in very hot climates? And does Ceratec with 5W-30 really lessen or stop the noise as one post mentioned?
I had decided to try it after reading of a few others having success. For some it seems to just lesson it. Perhaps if I took a stethoscope to the engine I might hear it but I haven't tried.

I had already been familiar with the company that makes it since they produce oils that are popular in the Mercedes and Audi circles.

strike-eagle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
Question is has there been a legitimate documented case of engine failure due to the tick?
Nope, not that I could find and believe me, I've researched this for a looooonnng time. I had the "tick" which the dealership diagnosed as an out of spec rod bearing and I got a short block out of it. I think actual problems like mine end up getting lumped into the "tick" bucket.

samanosuke47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
Nope, not that I could find and believe me, I've researched this for a looooonnng time. I had the "tick" which the dealership diagnosed as an out of spec rod bearing and I got a short block out of it. I think actual problems like mine end up getting lumped into the "tick" bucket.
I'm completely with you also.. I put a lot of research in until placing my order with this car. I've been looking hard at them ever since the launch of the 15 MY (18 MY sold me, and then NFG sold me even more).. I came across 'the Tick' of course, and was worried at first, but the more I delved, the more I realized a lot of it at least on the surface seems to be a bit trollish on how bad it actually is. I'm strongly leaning that it is more of a characteristic, and gets lumped in with a lemon here and there that has a real issue in tandem. Fords release only helps confirm my lean.. though odd noise is odd noise.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
I don't have the tick. I have heard a few on YouTube but they didn't sound very bad to me. Maybe they are worse in person than on video.

Based on what I have heard, I would rather have the tick than have a car with a replacement engine.....especially a replacement no different than the one replaced.

Obviously I am distinguishing the tick from the rattle or from cars with metal shavings in the oil filter.
Sponsored