Sponsored

2020 Shelby GT500 Mustang leaked specs: 720HP @ 7500 RPM, 650 ft-lbs @ 4500 RPM, 4225lbs curb weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
The CF package won't shed much weight. Other than the wheels, it doesn't replace any existing parts with CF, it just adds new parts made of CF... so if anything, it would INCREASE the weight
It swaps the wheels for CF wheels, and it's suggested the weight difference is like the GT350-to-R wheels, so that's -60lbs (not factoring in tire weight), the rear wing gets swapped for a CF flavor, doubt that adds any weight, and it also removes the rear seat which _has_ to be some decrease.
Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Going off what is fact about the car and what is in this leaked document, 4225 seems plausible but on the high side. I am sure the weight posted is of a fully loaded non TP. My guess is the TP will be at 4100 lbs +/-50 and obviously is speculation.

Has there been any talk about a convertible? Going off past models I would guess there will be.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
It swaps the wheels for CF wheels, and it's suggested the weight difference is like the GT350-to-R wheels, so that's -60lbs (not factoring in tire weight), the rear wing gets swapped for a CF flavor, doubt that adds any weight, and it also removes the rear seat which _has_ to be some decrease.
Aren't the standard GT350 wheels cast? Keep in mind, the standard GT500 wheels are rotary forged, so they're already going to be fairly lightweight. The wing likely will add weight... have you ever held a wing of that size? I did, however, forget about the rear seat delete. That should save about 50lbs or so. But ultimately, what I was getting at is that a 200lb savings for the CF package is unrealistic

Kimbo510

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
So what do you guys think, this thread originally leaked back in Aug with 720hp and weighing 4200+, think that’s what it’ll be, better/worse?
I think that document was legit. They got the max RPM, gear ratio and carbon drive shaft correct. My guess is the base is 4225lbs with track pack coming in a bit lighter. Carbon wheels save 60lbs plus rear seat delete...so maybe 4100lbs. If this was going to be over 750HP, they would have been saying the new car will be 750+ instead of 700+. 720hp sounds right and they are probably working to squeeze out a bit more. I expect it to be under 750hp for these reasons.

R

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
The wing likely will add weight... have you ever held a wing of that size? I did, however, forget about the rear seat delete. That should save about 50lbs or so. But ultimately, what I was getting at is that a 200lb savings for the CF package is unrealistic
All I can say is that the rear wing is extremely light given the physical space it takes up. You'll be surprised when you learn how much the wing and supporting hardware actually weighs.

I did a factory Ford RSD in my GT350 and from what I can tell the GT350 will use a near identical composite panel (why wouldn't they?). From my writeup from a few years ago...

So the totals were:
- seat bottom 11.2 lbs
- seat backs 19.4 lbs (total)
- hardware/belts/brackets 8.4 lbs

That's 39 lbs of weight removed, prior to the delete install. The weight you add back in was as follows:
- delete panel 6.6 lbs
- hardware .4 lbs

So you added 7 lbs back in, bringing the weight savings number for this mod to a grand total of 32 lbs of weight reduction. If you paid $800 for the kit (a price everyone here should be able to beat) then you paid $25 per pound of weight loss.
So figure just over 30lbs of weight reduction from a RSD in the GT500.

Sponsored

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
I think that document was legit. They got the max RPM, gear ratio and carbon drive shaft correct. My guess is the base is 4225lbs with track pack coming in a bit lighter. Carbon wheels save 60lbs plus rear seat delete...so maybe 4100lbs. If this was going to be over 750HP, they would have been saying the new car will be 750+ instead of 700+. 720hp sounds right and they are probably working to squeeze out a bit more. I expect it to be under 750hp for these reasons.

R
Fair reasoning. The only reason I have for it to be 755ish and a weight around 4K is if the rumored testing 1/4 time (10.8@133!) is accurate at all it would require a better hp/weight ratio then suggested by the doc. That trap is ZR1 level. But the doc. Specs would give it hp/weight ratio much closer to the ZL1 as opposed to the ZR1. I don’t think I’ve seen a stock ZL1 trap over 130, unless it was a total hero run. But that could be a totally false 1/4 mile report!!!

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Aren't the standard GT350 wheels cast? Keep in mind, the standard GT500 wheels are rotary forged, so they're already going to be fairly lightweight. The wing likely will add weight... have you ever held a wing of that size? I did, however, forget about the rear seat delete. That should save about 50lbs or so. But ultimately, what I was getting at is that a 200lb savings for the CF package is unrealistic
I've been around quite a bit of carbon fiber work, car and sailboat parts, and I'm always astonished at the low weight, but I do agree that 200lbs is probably not going to happen - I figure more along the lines of the GT350 vs. GT350R, which I believe is usually around 100-105 lbs depending on exact options (and who you ask :D)

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT

R
Meh, I don't know of any motor that makes peak power at redline so thats a red flag to me. The last Gt500 had a CF driveshaft so guessing the new one will isn't a stretch and 3.73 gear? I guess, but it's not like Ford hasn't offered it on almost every Mustang made in the last 10 years.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
All I can say is that the rear wing is extremely light given the physical space it takes up. You'll be surprised when you learn how much the wing and supporting hardware actually weighs.
I've been around quite a bit of carbon fiber work, car and sailboat parts, and I'm always astonished at the low weight, but I do agree that 200lbs is probably not going to happen - I figure more along the lines of the GT350 vs. GT350R, which I believe is usually around 100-105 lbs depending on exact options (and who you ask :D)
I know the wing isn't going to necessarily be HEAVY, but what I'm saying is it'll undoubtedly be heavier than the track pack spoiler, meaning no weight savings from the carbon fiber wing.

I did a factory Ford RSD in my GT350 and from what I can tell the GT350 will use a near identical composite panel (why wouldn't they?). From my writeup from a few years ago...So figure just over 30lbs of weight reduction from a RSD in the GT500.
Good info! So I was being a bit generous in my estimates for the rear seat delete. Do you happen to know if the standard GT350 wheels are cast or forged?

Meh, I don't know of any motor that makes peak power at redline so thats a red flag to me.
2018 Mustang GT does, to name one

NightParade

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2017 GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I just dont see the need for those huge 16.5" rotors and that big of front caliper, seems like they could have saved a bunch of weight there or done a carbon ceramic but i guess wanted to flaunt for the big snake. Also kind of bummed you can use smaller than 20s which will inherently be more weight with tires *shrugs*

The power doesnt really matter to me because you can easily add more but just dont want it to be too porky and feel cumbersome.

Sponsored

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Bump because I said I would when the actual numbers came out.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.