Status
Not open for further replies.

CarlosMRRDesignWheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
2020-ford-shelby-mustang-gt500-1.jpg

With the introduction of the long awaited Ford Shelby GT500 comes the introduction of the next wheel model for Mustang applications by MRR Wheels. Did you really think we where sleeping ? lol love it or hate it here is a chance to check out the process from step 1 to final product, Join us, share your thoughts ,comments, ideas, changes and be part of the process as we hit the road to introduce the new wheel design.

Here are the Images of the original wheel model which is produced in a 20x11 front and 20x11.5 rear
and in Carbon Fiber.

2020-ford-shelby-mustang-gt500-4.jpg

2020-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-117-1547418560.jpg

Now here is the second surprise... We are not only designing the new wheel for a Flow forged production but we are also completing the full Forged model as well at the same time.:handsinair:

So Lets start with some key features of what is expected from a factory direct wheel and then we want to hear from all of you and see what key features you as a customer want or need. You will also see the first 3D images below which is just the first graph and need some changes for sure with some detail modification but we want you guys to help us complete this project and build the next wheel together.

Key Features
Construction

Flow Forged and Forged option
Sizes
19x10,19x11, 19x10.5,19x11, 19x11/19x11.5
20x10/20x11
Hub centric bores
OE Center cap Acceptance

Big Caliper clearance no spacers
Accept OE TPMS

First Question. Should the wheel accept OE Lug Nuts or dont matter
Second question: What should the standard color be? Gloss black, Matte black? Graphite? do share and comment.

Now here are a few 3D graphs which we will update tonight as we are already making detail changes / this one is not final just a starting point, window on spoke will not be existent. Look carefully "Alpha" design curves different then "Beta"

Alpha 1
F6181_Alpha_BK_1.PNG

Alpha 2
F6181_Alpha_BK_2.PNG

Alpha 3
F6181_Alpha_S_1.PNG

Alpha 4
F6181_Alpha_S_2.PNG

Beta 1
F6181_Beta_BK_3.png

Beta 2
F6181_Beta_S_3.png

Beta 3
F6181_Beta_BK_2.png

Beta 4
F6181_Beta_S_2.png
Sponsored

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
1. I would not be concerned about using the stock lugs. What I would want is anything but "tuner" (spline) lugs.
2. Fake CF would be a cool std color if you're going full repro... otherwise, gloss black.
3. Alpha/Beta - assume you'll offer both? Alpha looks like the repro, but everyone wants concave... alpha then could be "front" and beta, "rear."

OP
OP
CarlosMRRDesignWheels

CarlosMRRDesignWheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
1. I would not be concerned about using the stock lugs. What I would want is anything but "tuner" (spline) lugs.
2. Fake CF would be a cool std color if you're going full repro... otherwise, gloss black.
3. Alpha/Beta - assume you'll offer both? Alpha looks like the repro, but everyone wants concave... alpha then could be "front" and beta, "rear."

Dude ... now thats what I call putting in your 2 cents :clap:
Thank you and will be taking notes on that for sure,

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I would prefer to have the ability to use stock style lugs. The gorilla solid ones are very nice to use.

No to faux carbon. Ricer/poser. Standard, gloss black would be good. I would really like to see what a machined finish would look like too.

I prefer Alpha to Beta with that kick. It still has plenty of concavity but adds an extra dimension to the shape.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I’ll add some input...

Color:
I thought the factory gloss black rims on my prior 2016 EB PP were really nice, plus easy to clean. But sometimes the gloss coat was susceptible to spider webbing on the clearcoat if it was touched by anything other than a really good micro fiber. Then I would have to spend time buffing and polishing out the spider webbing. The gloss also showed a lot of brake dusting. Lastly, sometimes the wheels would get “lost” in photos of the car, meaning the deep gloss black would visually disappear and all you saw was rotor and brake caliper, losing the aspect of the intricacies of the wheel design. Even EXCLUDING factory Ford gloss black rims, I’ve seen other aftermarket gloss black rims at car shows and in sunlight, it’s very visible they too will sometimes have spider webbing to the surface clear coat, so I’m not being biased.

With my 2018 EB PP, the factory wheels are matte black. They again are easy to clean, but no worries of what type of cloth, sponge or brush I’m using on the rim surface, absolutely no spider webbing. Brake dust is “invisible” if the car has not been washed in a week or 3 weeks time, as it’s really hard to tell there’s brake dust on a matte finish. Lastly, no matter how a photo is taken of the car, the matte black really stands out to define the rim and it’s not getting lost with the background brake rotors/calipers.

Sure, a matte finish is not for all and it’s surely not “shiny”, but IMO after owning both types, I would think your rims would look great in a matte finish.

Lug nuts:
Keep it simple, make them work with factory lugs - not everyone likes “tuner” style lugs and some folks who just want to get rims and go don’t even change their factory lugs out to something different.

Physical appearance:
Alpha - to me and visually, it just looks better than the second draft of the silver rim.

Aubrey

GT4949
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Planning the next one!
Vehicle Showcase
Great project, well done!

Standard lugs
CF, black, titanium and silver
Same dish/concavity as the original

Last edited:

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
I think this guy nailed it.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I vote for matte black and stick lugs. A more concave look is preferred. I'm curious on weight and cost of the forged model.

Sponsored
OP
OP
CarlosMRRDesignWheels

CarlosMRRDesignWheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I vote for matte black and stick lugs. A more concave look is preferred. I'm curious on weight and cost of the forged model.
We are definitely leaning to stock lugs, concave profiles is a must and we will max out but not to the point where we loose the actual reality of the design
a forged model we will have on our hands with in 3 weeks from today and will be available to purchase with in that time frame weights are expected to be about 19-21lb each per wheel on a 19" model.

OP
OP
CarlosMRRDesignWheels

CarlosMRRDesignWheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Any good discounts for early adopters :-)
Since the forged model will be available with in just 2 weeks from today we will be looking for a few cars for marketing so a discount will apply for those individuals.
as for the Flow forged model this one will take some time and we expect to start taking in pre orders starting Late Feb/ Early March, The flow forged set would be more in line to our
M350/M600 line up.

Ghst550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
These are hot. Would definitely look into a 19x10 square setup if MRR keeps the price/weight down like they usually do. 19x10 square / gloss black on my GTPP would look very sexy.

You can use my black 17 GTPP for marketing. I am in Long Beach, CA. I believe you guys are in Los Angeles?
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.