OP

Jwh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
@Zelek what other closed box CAI are available?

I want to run a 93 tune and an e85 tune. Would stuck run an e85 tune well?
Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
@Zelek what other closed box CAI are available?

I want to run a 93 tune and an e85 tune. Would stuck run an e85 tune well?
There's about 4 or 5 options for closed box. Airaid and Steeda being the most popular. Airaid runs on a stock MAF curve because of the insert.

Yes, stock is just fine. E85 just needs injectors.

OP
OP

Jwh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
@Zelek but I don’t need injectors in the 2018 GT right? The stock ones will suffice right?

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
@Zelek but I don’t need injectors in the 2018 GT right? The stock ones will suffice right?
I think the 18 injectors should be okay. I'll defer to the 18 owners on this one though.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I think the 18 injectors should be okay. I'll defer to the 18 owners on this one though.
On the, 18 coyote, stock injectors have plenty of capacity for E85 because you also have the DI injectors.

Sponsored

Wally-Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wally-Bob
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem PP 50AP
Stangman638 is use to contrary opinions as he says in his video.

I agree with many of his observations. With open top air boxes it is important to obtain a seal against the hood. Many designs are deficient in this effort INCLUDING the GT350 air box from Ford. The problem persists with the Performance Pack offered currently by Ford so some of their designs are less than optimal, probably from cost savings... With the stock air inlet originating from the grill, there is some air washing over the radiator, not passing thru, then entering the air box inlet snout especially when the car is not moving. So unless you want to mount your filter in your fender well... (Lose any bit of available air ram, granted its not much) Insulation does provide a great benefit. This even applies to stock closed boxes.

See this thread, it has some applied techniques and some actual IAT reductions documented.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/lining-intake-boxes-with-heat-resistant-material.87529/

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Stangman638 is use to contrary opinions as he says in his video.

I agree with many of his observations. With open top air boxes it is important to obtain a seal against the hood. Many designs are deficient in this effort INCLUDING the GT350 air box from Ford. The problem persists with the Performance Pack offered currently by Ford so some of their designs are less than optimal, probably from cost savings... With the stock air inlet originating from the grill, there is some air washing over the radiator, not passing thru, then entering the air box inlet snout especially when the car is not moving. So unless you want to mount your filter in your fender well... (Lose any bit of available air ram, granted its not much) Insulation does provide a great benefit. This even applies to stock closed boxes.

See this thread, it has some applied techniques and some actual IAT reductions documented.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/lining-intake-boxes-with-heat-resistant-material.87529/
The way to largely fix that issue is with the Velossatech Big Mouth. The only time I've seen greater than 20* over ambient with my GT350 airbox and big mouth is extended bumper to bumper traffic in the summer, or very long periods of idling. The stock airbox will do very much the same in those conditions. During normal driving it stays within 10* of ambient and 3-4* over on the highway.

Sponsored

Wally-Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wally-Bob
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem PP 50AP
The way to largely fix that issue is with the Velossatech Big Mouth. The only time I've seen greater than 20* over ambient with my GT350 airbox and big mouth is extended bumper to bumper traffic in the summer, or very long periods of idling. The stock airbox will do very much the same in those conditions. During normal driving it stays within 10* of ambient and 3-4* over on the highway.
I've looked at that, I'm interested and believe it would yield improvements. My problem is Velossatech indicates it is not compatible with the 50th Anniversary Grill. I perceive that lacking the triangular section in my grill where it fits would lead to that end of it just flopping around. I haven't done any investigations nor contacted the vendor. Does anyone have some insight to add on this?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I've looked at that, I'm interested and believe it would yield improvements. My problem is Velossatech indicates it is not compatible with the 50th Anniversary Grill. I perceive that lacking the triangular section in my grill where it fits would lead to that end of it just flopping around. I haven't done any investigations nor contacted the vendor. Does anyone have some insight to add on this?
I'm not sure about that. @VelossaTech?

It definitely wouldn't flop around, as it's held in both the 'pocket' where the airflow comes in and partially by the airbox snorkel. The grille only prevents it from coming forward.

Wally-Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wally-Bob
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem PP 50AP
I'm not sure about that. @VelossaTech?

It definitely wouldn't flop around, as it's held in both the 'pocket' where the airflow comes in and partially by the airbox snorkel. The grille only prevents it from coming forward.
Then it may work for me. I'm lacking the triangular pocket you refer to that the Big Mouth entrance nests in. (50th Anniversary grill) Sent email to @VelossaTech support. I'm wondering that lacking the triangular pocket may mean not having to remove the fascia to install.
1024x640_7R6A0875.jpg

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Then it may work for me. I'm lacking the triangular pocket you refer to that the Big Mouth entrance nests in. (50th Anniversary grill) Sent email to @VelossaTech support. I'm wondering that lacking the triangular pocket may mean not having to remove the fascia to install.
1024x640_7R6A0875.jpg
No, it'll have to come off to put it in. It goes in from the front. You'll want to open up the honeycomb, too.

Wally-Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wally-Bob
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem PP 50AP
No, it'll have to come off to put it in. It goes in from the front. You'll want to open up the honeycomb, too.
I'm wondering if removing the air box snout then install the Big Mouth, re-install air box snout would provide enough clearance to finagle it in. The 50th Anniversary grill honey combs are already more open than other grill styles, but there are more that could be opened also. I can look directly into the Steeda air box by looking thru the grill.
Sponsored

Last edited: