Sponsored

How are you protecting your car in your garage?

Dano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I've got a new 2019 Mustang coming in a week or two. My garage arrangement is such that it will have to be parked next to my wife's Sorento. The Sorento would be forward facing on the left and the Mustang forward facing on the right. I've noticed that my current daily driver (Escape), has suffered from numerous small dents from the passenger side front and rear doors of the Sorento. I would obviously like to avoid that with the Mustang. I've thought about requesting that all passengers must enter the Sorento after the car has been pulled out of the garage, but I'm not sure I can enforce that. I've thought about getting a car cover to prevent the small dings that might occur, additionally it would protect from people walking between the cars from inadvertently scratching the mustang. I've also thought about taping together a bunch of cardboard boxes and putting up a barrier between the cars that I could easily fold up when I use the mustang.

What is your experience in protecting your Mustang in your garage? What am I not thinking about?

Thanks
Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I park both of my cars in the garage and both cars are mine so I know I won't ding it. My girlfriend prefers to park hers on the driveway due to the space in the garage. Passengers get in my car once I pull out of the garage so the space isn't so crammed. I don't use any car covers or anything because the garage is fine just the way it is.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
I just spend my time wishing I had a garage. :sunglasses:

OP
OP
Dano

Dano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Buy a floating noodle the kind for a swimming pool and used some string to hang it between your cars it will keep the doors from hitting each other
Clever. I like that idea.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It's a car, I just try not to obsess about it. Trying to keep it perfect just leads to anguish. Down that path are the people who never drive their cars because they think the car is too nice to drive. What purpose does a car serve when it isn't driven?

This morning I noticed there is a big, fat bird dropping on the top of my car. I'm not sure when I will get around to washing it off.

Deleted member 35644

If you find yourself living with people who couldn't care less about damaging vehicles, you're SOL unless you put something in place to prevent it. Death threats are implied in my household. The pool noodle idea is a brilliant alternative if your family finds it impossible to be careful.

It's totally possible to keep your vehicles in good condition while still using them for their intended purpose. I have two Mustang's living in my garage. The convertible is on the left, backed in, to maximize the space between the cars, and to ease entry and exit from the driver's side. The coupe sits on the right, head in. We're just careful not to fling those huge doors open, and not to let our clothing or anything we're carrying drag down the side of either car. We're scratch and ding free, and will stay that way.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
images.jpg

I have an MG42 mounted on a swivel with a motion detector. The software to recognize friends and family works ok-ish, but have to pick the priorities. :)

OP
OP
Dano

Dano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I love the humorous replies.

But I love even more the serious replies from those who have attempted to address this issue.

Anyone using a car cover to address this? That is, using a car cover on a car that get's used frequently, not just long term storage.

Thanks

Sponsored

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
I've got a new 2019 Mustang coming in a week or two. My garage arrangement is such that it will have to be parked next to my wife's Sorento. The Sorento would be forward facing on the left and the Mustang forward facing on the right. I've noticed that my current daily driver (Escape), has suffered from numerous small dents from the passenger side front and rear doors of the Sorento. I would obviously like to avoid that with the Mustang. I've thought about requesting that all passengers must enter the Sorento after the car has been pulled out of the garage, but I'm not sure I can enforce that. I've thought about getting a car cover to prevent the small dings that might occur, additionally it would protect from people walking between the cars from inadvertently scratching the mustang. I've also thought about taping together a bunch of cardboard boxes and putting up a barrier between the cars that I could easily fold up when I use the mustang.

What is your experience in protecting your Mustang in your garage? What am I not thinking about?

Thanks
Tell the people that are getting in and out of the other car that is in your garage to pay attention to what they are doing and not open their door and hit the car next to them. They can then take this advice and apply it to other situations like when getting out of the car at the mall or other parking place so that they do not door ding other people's cars. If they can't be considerate, then don't allow the people that use that car on a regular basis to continue parking in the garage. Pretty simple.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
I love the humorous replies.

But I love even more the serious replies from those who have attempted to address this issue.

Anyone using a car cover to address this? That is, using a car cover on a car that get's used frequently, not just long term storage.

Thanks
So I have thought about many of the things mentioned, my door opens into dry-wall so I could put a pool noodle on the wall, though there is much more damage to the drywall than the door. Also thought about a car cover, but just have never done it. In the end I think i have accepted that my car will be imperfect (already is) and that the driving experience is the main thing. This is especially true since my 11 year old has a habit of flinging his door open without looking or regard to what might be there. He has already thrown my passenger door into a concrete barrier when he was feeling ill and I pulled off. I just had to make the choice that they were more important to me than having a perfect car.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
An even bigger issue is public parking more than garage. I always park my cars in the back of store parking lots. Even if someone happens to park next to me, usually it isn't a car full of kids. Moms don't want to walk that far with a herd of children. Most cases I'm not parked next to anyone and I'm perfectly capable of walking the distance.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
An even bigger issue is public parking more than garage. I always park my cars in the back of store parking lots. Even if someone happens to park next to me, usually it isn't a car full of kids. Moms don't want to walk that far with a herd of children. Most cases I'm not parked next to anyone and I'm perfectly capable of walking the distance.
That works out well most of the time, but there is always "that one guy." You park all the way in the back of the lot and he is parked next to you so close you can barely get in. Out of all the parking spots in the lot, he picks right next to you away from everyone else.
Sponsored