Sponsored

How do you fix tears/cracks in the leather seats?

ronnieb1958

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
After three years, my 2015 Ecoboost has developed tears in the driver's seat...Help!
Sponsored

zxd9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
My 15 gt premium also has two cracks on the drivers side left bolster.
My 16 has issue in the same place. I too am curious if it can be fixed. I'm thinking we'll have to live with it. I was planning on waiting until it gets really bad and then replacing the front seat covers with real leather.

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
If you have cracks or tears, the damage is already done. When leather dries out, you will get cracks and tears. Treat your leather seats/ trim with a good quality leather conditioner at least twice a year and you should be good.
With that being said, a good upholstery shop can remove a bad panel and sew in a fresh leather replacement panel.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
If you have cracks or tears, the damage is already done. When leather dries out, you will get cracks and tears. Treat your leather seats/ trim with a good quality leather conditioner at least twice a year and you should be good.
With that being said, a good upholstery shop can remove a bad panel and sew in a fresh leather replacement panel.
FWIW, I read the bolsters are not leather.

That said, I think there are ways to fix them if they are vinyl, some DIY. I remember seeing commercials on TV long ago for kits to do that. Not sure if that relates to the seats in the Mustang but worth a look.

Sponsored

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
I had a vinyl repair guy fix the ones I had developing in my former '15 GT's driver left bolster. After I had one tear fixed, two others developed, so the repair person did a second treatment on it. And regular vinyl/leather conditioning did not prevent it from happening. I believe it's wear and tear from normal usage, even though I was careful in trying to avoid sliding on the bolsters. Eventually, I was looking at a replacement cover had I kept the car.
20180513_142548.jpg

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Here ya go, this is the best product and website for leather upholstery restoration, as well as leather dyes, etc.

http://www.leatherique.com/

I’ve had that book marked since 2005 when I owned my prior 1995 BMW M3 and needed to restore the “Vader” dove gray leather (and product was exact match). That company is very well known across many automotive forums.

Good luck!
Sponsored