Sponsored

"Mach E" name trademarked for Mustang inspired hybrid?

Jarstang

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Via The Drive

A trademark filing by Ford dated Nov. 26 could reveal the name of its upcoming Mustang-inspired electric crossover, as discovered by The Drive.

A corporate law firm acting on behalf of Ford filed with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) for trademarks on the names "Mach E" and "Mach-E." Their respective filings are described as pertaining to "motor vehicles, namely, electric vehicles, passenger automobiles, trucks, sport utility vehicles, off-road vehicles, and structural parts, fittings, and badges therefor; metal license plate frames."

Both variations on the name are the subjects of filings believed to be solely with the USPTO at present.

60&url=https%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Fthe-drive-staging%2Fmessage-editor%252F1543864127284-fmc.jpg

Ford initially attached the "Mach 1" name to its electric crossover earlier this year, but after fans expressed displeasure with the idea of an electric crossover bearing the name, Ford faltered and opted to go with a different name. Mach E would be close, but wouldn't impinge on the legacy of the Mach 1 moniker, which Mustang fans would prefer to see associated exclusively with the pony car.

The automaker offered a possible glimpse of the upcoming vehicle in a video released in October, depicting a Mustang-esque front end on a concept vehicle. It featured a glowing blue Mustang outline over where the grille would normally be, leading many to believe the vehicle depicted to be the same as the Mustang-influenced crossover teased this September.

"Trademark applications are intended to protect new ideas but aren't necessarily an indication of new business or product plans," a Ford spokesperson told The Drive when asked whether the name is related to Ford's upcoming model.
Sponsored

Last edited:

MustangJoe84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 GT, 1998 GT Sport, 2003 Mach1, 2015 GT
Very interesting. I think Mach-E would be an excellent compromise for the new electric vehicle. I was one of those that really objected to the use of Mach1 as I am an owner of a 2003 version. The teaser pictures so far look nice as Ford needs something more exciting and daring to compete with the trendy Tesla. Just hope it is offered as an AWD option to make it usable in bad weather so I can leave the Mustangs home.

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
Oh jeeze might as well re-introduce a The Chevy Volt as the Mustang Volt and get the suicide over with.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I guess Mach E is as good as anything else. Ford should do it a Thunderbird tribute and call it thE-bird

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I mean, it’s kinda corny, but at least it’s not Mach 1...

Sponsored

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
Calling it "Bob" would be better than trying to call it a Mach 1. I'd suggest Mach 3. It sounds better, it's a progression from Mach 1, and you could render the 3 as a backward E.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Why does nearly every electrified car have to have an E in it's name? I get that consumers can be dense, but come on. Mach E makes no sense and will just blend in with the millions of other E cars. I don't know what's wrong with Thunderbolt or something else original.

3ZERO3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Very interesting. I think Mach-E would be an excellent compromise for the new electric vehicle. I was one of those that really objected to the use of Mach1 as I am an owner of a 2003 version. The teaser pictures so far look nice as Ford needs something more exciting and daring to compete with the trendy Tesla. Just hope it is offered as an AWD option to make it usable in bad weather so I can leave the Mustangs home.
This. Everyone is so incredibly quick to bash it when all they've seen is a dark drawing of a concept tail section.

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
This. Everyone is so incredibly quick to bash it when all they've seen is a dark drawing of a concept tail section.
Any attempt to build a jacked up five door electric Mustang with a lift kit deserves to be bashed. If Ford can't create an exciting, dynamic vehicle without poaching the sporting credentials of the only passenger car they have left then they deserve to fail.

It has nothing to do with the Mustang. If anything, it's more akin to a modern take on the Thunderbird. But they won't use that. Why? Because they ran that brand into the ground, just like they're going to run "Mustang" into the ground if they taint it with this kind of garbage.

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Any attempt to build a jacked up five door electric Mustang with a lift kit deserves to be bashed. If Ford can't create an exciting, dynamic vehicle without poaching the sporting credentials of the only passenger car they have left then they deserve to fail.

It has nothing to do with the Mustang. If anything, it's more akin to a modern take on the Thunderbird. But they won't use that. Why? Because they ran that brand into the ground, just like they're going to run "Mustang" into the ground if they taint it with this kind of garbage.
Even better example the Mercury Cougar it started as a two door up scale version of the Mustang in 1967 and by 1981 you could get a four door Cougar as well as a station wagon Cougar. Talk about killing a brand name just for the sake of sales.

Reactions: nrc

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS