Sponsored

Unlikely Head to Head Review: Mustang GT vs Genesis G70

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Are you telling someone who is self-admittedly the target audience for this video that there isn't a target audience for this video?

OT: While it's true that the vehicles themselves are pretty different, it's not crazy for that buyers to cross shop the american v8's with other sports cars. I didn't care much for dodge and chevy but when I bought my 2010 GT, I was definitely shopping between the offerings from hyundai, nissan & subaru. I settled on the mustang because i liked it most (& the return of grabber blue).
This may be true, but a much larger percentage of Mustang buyers vs. regular car buyers would not even consider anything like a Genesis no matter what they put into it.
Sponsored

PGMarcus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium
This may be true, but a much larger percentage of Mustang buyers vs. regular car buyers would not even consider anything like a Genesis no matter what they put into it.
Mustang buyers are regular car buyers, so that didn't make any sense. I have a Mustang but also considered the G70, they were just taking too long to get to the dealers so I grabbed my Mustang.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang buyers are regular car buyers, so that didn't make any sense. I have a Mustang but also considered the G70, they were just taking too long to get to the dealers so I grabbed my Mustang.
I respectfully disagree and stand by my statement. In fact, I'd bet most people here on 6G would agree with me. Most people who are Mustang fans wouldn't even care about a Genesis. Some might, most will not. Challengers, Camaro, Corvette yes..... Those that would seriously consider a Genesis or similar probably will not own a Mustang for long, as they would just get bored or whatever and sell it a year or two later, after the cell phone contract ends and the "new" wears off. That is great news for the people on here who are true Mustang fans who then can get a nice car at a discount.

Last edited:

TURTL3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LB Mustang 3.7 6MT
It's not that weird of a comparison. I mean I do like reviewers thinking outside the box and having unlikely competitors go against each other. Every video on youtube can't be a pony car shoot out or else we'd all be bored.

I can see people cross shopping the two. The are people who don't need a back seat, but like to have one anyway. But they also like speed. So they cross shop sports sedans with coupes or coupe variants of said sports sedan (e.g. M3 or M4), quite simply because they have the budget AND lifestyle to be flexible like that. It's a small target market, but a market nonetheless. I'm interested in the G70 with the 4 cyl turbo and stick shift. That might be a hell of a bargain and a ton of fun to boot.

Sponsored

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
This is a pretty funny debate in that I've owned my 2015 Mustang GT since Jan 2015. I love the car but after, this morning, reading that MT picked the G70 as their COTY, I started checking them out a bit closer. I love the look of it. Definitely a contender for my next vehicle. So is a Jeep Wrangler, AR Giulia, new-er Mustang GT, Corvette...Pretty much whatever I'm in the mood for. I would definitely need to drive it first to see if I'm really feeling it but I wouldn't count it out by any means. The old days of Hyundai making crap cars is over. Especially with the Genesis brand. Just take a look at the group of people that make up the Genesis design team and that's really all you need to know. They've come a really, really, really long way, like it or not (so has Ford by the way!).

I don't debate that there are "Mustang-people". People that will just keep on buying one Mustang after another. Nothing wrong with that at all. Brand loyalty is great, it's just not for everyone. I love my Mustang and will miss it dearly when the time comes to move on to the next but I also like to try new things/cars.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I respectfully disagree and stand by my statement. In fact, I'd bet most people here on 6G would agree with me. Most people who are Mustang fans wouldn't even care about a Genesis. Some might, most will not. Challengers, Camaro, Corvette yes..... Those that would seriously consider a Genesis or similar probably will not own a Mustang for long, as they would just get bored or whatever and sell it a year or two later, after the cell phone contract ends and the "new" wears off. That is great news for the people on here who are true Mustang fans who then can get a nice car at a discount.
I'd be willing to bet with how many "Mustangs" are being sold that the majority are regular car buyers.

PGMarcus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium
This is just silly.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last edited:

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
This is just silly.
Yep, for every "Mustang fan" there are dozens (hundreds?) who buy one just because it happened to catch their fancy at the time and could have easily been swayed to buy any number of other cars that might not seem like normal cross-shop vehicles.

Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
Yet true. Lots of low mileage examples from capricious ex owners out there say so.
Maybe you should look up how many mustangs are up for sale. Lol

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
I was cross shopping some sedans vs the 2019 Mustang, aside from the SP Charger, the V6 Turbo sedans that I was looking, I would make AWD option a must to compensate value over a V8 :) one factor was having to wait a year more due to the these new AWD TT6 sedans being too new, needing a 2nd year model to feel more confident, I did not want to wait like others, so I got a 2019 Mustang.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I like the Genesis much better than the Kia, but without a V8 my interest is very low.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
I like the Genesis much better than the Kia, but without a V8 my interest is very low.
I don't mind the V6 but it would have to be the Alfa's 3/4 Ferrari engine in the guilia quadrofoglio....:rockon: flat planliness goodness!!
Sponsored