Sponsored

MT '19 Car of the Year Nomination

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
By my experience with my 15, they're right. That IRS and its subframe mounting is just awful. I had to put at least a Grand under there is Steeda bits to make it perform. And yes even on some otherwise smooth pavement the rear end would bob up and down with the poor damping and rebound.
Sponsored

raydog1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
“Mark Rechtin had the convertible collapse into limp-home mode in less than two laps of the circuit.”

That’s just embarrassing. Not a good look for Ford or the Mustang no matter the bias of the publication.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I really don't understand the comments on the price of the car. Really, tell me another car out there other than the Camaro that will give you this kind of performance while also having a quality interior for less than $50k

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
I really don't understand the comments on the price of the car. Really, tell me another car out there other than the Camaro that will give you this kind of performance while also having a quality interior for less than $50k
You can get a SS 1LE for under 40k brand new that’s why!

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
MSRP for 1SS 1LE and Base GT PP2 are both around $45, not under $40k. But it's kind of funny how most people say the 2016 Camaro was too expensive, but now that the Mustang increased the pricing to a similiar level the understanding that $50k is a lot of money for a car is gone.

Absolutely agree, a Golf R does not have a better interior. Of course you can't compare it to premium brands.

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
MSRP for 1SS 1LE and Base GT PP2 are both around $45, not under $40k. But it's kind of funny how most people say the 2016 Camaro was too expensive, but now that the Mustang increased the pricing to a similiar level the understanding that $50k is a lot of money for a car is gone..
And Mustang is still kicking camaros ass in sales.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
MSRP for 1SS 1LE and Base GT PP2 are both around $45, not under $40k. But it's kind of funny how most people say the 2016 Camaro was too expensive, but now that the Mustang increased the pricing to a similiar level the understanding that $50k is a lot of money for a car is gone.
I agree $50k is a lot of money, but if I were reviewing a car I would be comparing that price to the competition. I'm not sure what else I can get that is a 2 door, front engine, RWD performance vehicle with a V8 for a lot less money. And the GT starts at around $36K, so if cost is a huge deal to the buyer the car is available for a lot less money.

I think Mustang prices are on par with the competition, so I really don't understand the criticism in a car review.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Last edited:

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
Focus RS. But it depends what you mean by "this kind of performance"? If you mean a car that can compete with cars that cost twice as much, then there you go.

RaceHorseV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky
Vehicle(s)
2001 Cobra, 2004 Cobra, 2019 GT
All auto magazine writers are basically jaded after a short while and they decide what blows their skirts up. Generalmotors trend is no exception. To base YOUR car buying decision on their review would be mostly a mistake. I mean how can you figure out what being harsh and bumpy even on smooth roads means? That is an absurd statement. Throw in personal biases and magazine reviews are anything but objective. Ford has no doubt made the decision, probably for financial reasons, to put uber-strict limits on temperatures of various parts. It looks like they have gone way too far because tripping a sensor alert in 2 track laps is ridiculous.
Everyone has to decide what they want in a car and do the research and test drives to make sure they're getting what fulfills those needs. I wouldn't want to drive a ZR1 Corvette as a DD car but on the track, yeah baby. For me the bottom line is that no single car does, or should be expected to, fulfill every driving need. You need at least 2 cars and a truck/SUV type vehicle IMHO but then you have to bring money into the discussion... :piggybank:

Sponsored
OP
OP
McGruder

McGruder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Velocity Blue '19 GT w/ 10 spd
By my experience with my 15, they're right. That IRS and its subframe mounting is just awful. I had to put at least a Grand under there is Steeda bits to make it perform. And yes even on some otherwise smooth pavement the rear end would bob up and down with the poor damping and rebound.
I think the 18/19s have some suspension mods from Ford that are supposed to make it perform better than 15-17s. I wouldn't know to what degree the issues your referring to have been addressed by that.

That said, I test drove an 18 GT with the MT tranny on a 45 degree day. The tires quickly broke loose on a mildly spirited left turn taking off from a light. Traction control quickly took over (fortunately) so it wasn't a disaster. At the time I just attributed the traction loss to how the Michelin PS 4S tires behave on cold pavement. Not sure if it could be argued that this was caused more by the IRS and sub frame mounting than the summer tires. However, this is why I'm thinking I'll run the Michelin PS 3 A/S+ to have better low temperature performance.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Guys. The people at Motor Trend are not fools. If you think they are giving the current Mustang the “Car of the Year” award you are crazy. They just gave you the official reasons but they know about all the others (including the tick and other quality control problems). To make this car COTY with all the issues it has would wreck the reputation of the publication.

The best selling sports car in the world goes into limo mode before finishing 2 laps at their track. Yup, didn’t make it to two laps! Ford has some work to do. But don’t blame them at MT. There are other publications I’m sure that talk about the shortcomings of this car on the track. Let’s get real here.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Focus RS. But it depends what you mean by "this kind of performance"? If you mean a car that can compete with cars that cost twice as much, then there you go.
By "this kind of performance", I simply mean raw numbers. Lap times, 0-60, 1/4 mile, lateral Gs, etc.

The FoRS comes nowhere near the 2018 in any of those aspects, and does not have near as good interior quality. It's a decent car for it's segment, but no competition for the Mustang

Guys. The people at Motor Trend are not fools. If you think they are giving the current Mustang the “Car of the Year” award you are crazy. They just gave you the official reasons but they know about all the others (including the tick and other quality control problems). To make this car COTY with all the issues it has would wreck the reputation of the publication.

The best selling sports car in the world goes into limo mode before finishing 2 laps at their track. Yup, didn’t make it to two laps! Ford has some work to do. But don’t blame them at MT. There are other publications I’m sure that talk about the shortcomings of this car on the track. Let’s get real here.
I always love seeing your absurd statement trying to cut down GTs

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I always love seeing your absurd statement trying to cut down GTs

It’s a strange “love/hate” relationship in the Mustang community. Like a girl I once dated; truly messed up in the head but she could cook and the sex was alright. With me the cooking is the big thing. Yup Iif she can cook - I overlook EVERYTHING!

Looks may age. Sex may whither. But if she can cook - you - are set for life!

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I think the 18/19s have some suspension mods from Ford that are supposed to make it perform better than 15-17s. I wouldn't know to what degree the issues your referring to have been addressed by that.

That said, I test drove an 18 GT with the MT tranny on a 45 degree day. The tires quickly broke loose on a mildly spirited left turn taking off from a light. Traction control quickly took over (fortunately) so it wasn't a disaster. At the time I just attributed the traction loss to how the Michelin PS 4S tires behave on cold pavement. Not sure if it could be argued that this was caused more by the IRS and sub frame mounting than the summer tires. However, this is why I'm thinking I'll run the Michelin PS 3 A/S+ to have better low temperature performance.
Other than minor damper tuning changes, nope.
Sponsored