Sponsored

MT '19 Car of the Year Nomination

McGruder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Velocity Blue '19 GT w/ 10 spd
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/mustang/2019/ford-mustang-2019-car-of-the-year-contender/

Some kind words to be sure. Otherwise the article offers some fairly harsh commentary. Looks like they tested a convertable 5.0 and a Bullitt.

Some notable MT criticism:

"WE DON'T LIKE How it handles, price-value equation"

"On the winding track, the Mustangs fell apart with poor body control and a rear end that has a mind of its own."

Concerning the Bullitt:

"the ride on this car is just so awful," Christian Seabaugh said. "It's choppy and rough, even on perfectly smooth pavement."

What are your thoughts on some of their criticism?

I've heard elsewhere that magneride can make for a pretty smooth ride so I'm a bit surprised by the last comment. Of course I'm assuming they tested the Bullitt with that. I don't know for certain that this was the case.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/mustang/2019/ford-mustang-2019-car-of-the-year-contender/
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
They're not entirely wrong about the handling when you really push it on track, at least stock. That subframe moves around so much, and it offers pretty poor geometric control with all the compliance in the toe link and RLCA. It needs more damping too, but a lot of it is that subframe free-wheelin'.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Anyone else notice. MT refuses to test a 10 speed auto?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
Again, can't say if the MT Bullitt had base suspension, but I can say my Bullitt with Magneride is nothing like he described. I've pushed mine fairly hard on some tight, technical and rough country roads, and was very impressed with it's handling for the size of car it is.... You have to question where his head was.....

Sponsored

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
MT obviously stands for Moronic Tripe now.

How can a car be choppy and rough on a perfectly smooth road? Is he saying the car has actuators to make it bounce on a smooth road? That moron should have been summarily dismissed for turning in that statement.

15GTCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT A6
Motend, has been traditionally against Fords and pro Chevy for a long time now. It really seems that they will not give Ford any positive reviews. I'm just sayin...

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Motend, has been traditionally against Fords and pro Chevy for a long time now. It really seems that they will not give Ford any positive reviews. I'm just sayin...
Yeah, as seen by the GT350R victories over the Z28, ZL1, and SS1LE from Motortrend.

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
Yeah, as seen by the GT350R victories over the Z28, ZL1, and SS1LE from Motortrend.
Yeah Jason cammisa and the the curly haired gentlemen. Haven’t seen a proper MT video on YouTube since the purchase. Do they still work there?

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
M T has always been a piece of shit magazine import and gm cars are the only cars they'll say are any good. I guess with camaro sales so bad they'll say or do anything to try and hurt Mustang sales.

Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Guys, it’s a competition for car of the year.

So they are going to be super critical as they will be comparing it to other countenders. Anyway I think the Mustang would fair better if it was not so expensive. All the Mustang criticisms could be blissfully accepted if the price was right.

Like it or not they are a respected publication. They obviously don’t have halos over their heads but R&T, C&D and Motor Trend have been around for many decades. How can you lie about a car going into limp mode before circling the track twice? There is no subjective evaluation there, it was a fact!

But like I said the car is too expensive and those two are nipping at the heals of a Corvette Stingray. At a lower price point the car would have done way better and more things would have been forgivable. Read the final sentences and you will see it’s the price for what you get that became the car’s undoing. And they are right as the car is expensive for what it is, and many here have said the same thing.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Oh no they said something negative about the Mustang, it can't be right :facepalm:
Just watch the Corvette ZR1 Ignition episode and tell me how they can be GM fanboys...

Read the other car of the year contender articles, they are just trying to point out differences betweens the cars and some flaws. The important part is this:
"Switch everything off, and both cars are very hard to balance, very easy to spin"
I don't know how the experience of other customers is, but imho the Mustang is pretty loose on the rear compared to other RWD cars.

I don't know the specific build of the covertible they drove, but without PP1 the base GT definitely has not a good ride for corners.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
"Switch everything off, and both cars are very hard to balance, very easy to spin"
I don't know how the experience of other customers is, but imho the Mustang is pretty loose on the rear compared to other RWD cars.
That really surprises me, as I feel that my GT350 is balanced way too far toward understeer and has great rear grip coming out of corners. I would have thought the Bullitt would behave similarly.

I never switch everything off, though. Not sure why I would want to. IMO the Mustang drives great on the track even in normal or sport mode. But I'm not burning tires and sliding tail out around corners at the track. I'm trying to be smooth and fast.