Sponsored

Let's get serious about track tires for GT350

nordique14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Magnetic Gray (J1601)
I’ll be in open and a buddy of mine will be in his zl1 1le rubbing point by.

Can’t wait!

If you haven’t already get the AWE exhaust valve controller!
Running in point by. I try to give your buddy’s 1LE a good fight.

Got the Grimmspeed plugins. So all set!

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Great thread idea. I will fill in my info later (need to collect the data to be as accurate as possible) but I suggest we also list details if we notice ambient temp affecting performance. Example, I've read everywhere that RE71R on a car of our weight gets them greasy. I recently ran my used autox RE71R at ambient air temp of 50-60F and found them to be awesome and not greasy at all. In fact I had a couple of guys stop by me at my last event and inquire what I was running as they thought I was on slicks due to my corner speeds :like:
I've heard both sides of the RE-71R story as well. I'm on the lookout for some 200tw tires for Time Attack and these were on my list.

I’ve ran the MPSS, cup 2s and RE71R.

For most people on this forum the MPSS will do just fine.

The Cup 2s are great but will wear fast.

The RE71Rs on my other cars were great but not so good on this car. They greased pretty quickly and heat cycled out before they got worn.

I’m now using take of slicks. For around 4-500 a set I get 3 solid track days.

I’ve used the continentals and pirellis.

The pirellis are the fastest, faster than Hoosier.

Then there’s 2 continental types, one is good for endurance and lasts forever. The other is about the same as a Hoosier r7.

I do some time attack events so I’m shooting for the fastest LapTimes possible and drive aggressively.
I assume you're using 18in wheels for the scrubs?

What tire would you recommend in the 200tw and up category for time attack?

Ahhhh you suckered me in HB. I only have one full day on my Goodyear F1 Supercar 3R tires and will be either at Laguna Seca or Sonoma on Nov 17-18 depending on wait lists. Nonetheless I can give initial impressions on my GYF13R's as follows:
  • Event type/run group:HPDE // Advanced
  • Number of sets: 1
  • Driving style:Smooth (tire friendly aka proper warm up and cool down....flatout when warm)
  • Days lasted:NA (but to guesstimate 2.5-3)
  • Did you rotate:Yes
  • Tire pressures:34-35 hot
  • Camber: 4.2 Front // 2.9 rear // 0 toe
  • Tracks:Sonoma
These tires are faster than SC2's, RE71r's and NT01's but maybe a tiny fraction less than R7's. They wear FAST and have very low factory tread depth to begin with. Similar to any R comp cold temps aren't friendly whatsoever however once up to temp (2 laps) they grip incredibly well and I haven't noticed them falling off when hot. They are also incredibly light for 305 tires. The cost of the set is why I will continue to run them as long as I have this car. They are the cheapest and fastest tires in 305 outside of used scrubs. The caveat is my car is 99.9% track driven and sees little to no street time other than to and from the track. I'll have more to update soon!
Hehe. Thanks. Added!

R888r in 295/30/19 square set up (only reason i went w 295s instead of 305s were cost. 295s for some reason are $80-90 per tire cheaper)
Number of sets : 1
Deiving style : smooth / agressive
Days lasted : 5-6 days (4-20min sessions each) w about 1000 street miles.
Rotate: no
Pressure: 32-33 hot
Camber: -2.5 front -1.5 rear
Track: ACS in fontana

Tire runs similar times w re71r or nt01s imo.. maybe bit slower than cup2s . First 15min of the session it feels great. Takes about a lap to warm up. After 15min, it starts to get bit greesy. But very consistant thoughout multiple heat cycles. Breakaway is progressive. Downside: Doesn’t make much noise or feel at the limit. And tire is heavy.
I’d say this is great value tire (compared to nt01s or cup2s), if you looking for track worthy tire at lower cost and will last decent amount.
Added! Thank you!

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
I run advanced, Wore first set out in 4.5 days (5x20 min sessions) yes aggressive chunk and chorded edge on fronts. Rears would have made full 5th day ok but not fronts. Car is stock, rotated wheels left to right once (getting camber plates soon).

Second set looks to be wearing about the same after 2 days. Unless I get a half event in the rain or something probably need to just change after 4 days, unless 5th event is close and it sucks ending early.

I really like the ps2, hopefully another Walmart sale, but Defiantly interested in better lasting options as tire cost is higher per event than the price of admission!

Brake pads, especially front were shot after 6 days and 1,200 road miles; needed front rotor resurfaced too (at 35.5m after resurface which is good).
2019F200-E0DA-4C25-9642-0AA85D79D024.jpeg
F2D06B17-014D-4A7F-8C84-731E56E3CA03.jpeg
BA084C55-3494-4E2E-9B8C-67F74831A5E8.jpeg

Sponsored

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I run advanced, Wore first set out in 4.5 days (5x20 min sessions) yes aggressive chunk and chorded edge on fronts. Rears would have made full 5th day ok but not fronts. Car is stock, rotated wheels left to right once (getting camber plates soon).

Second set looks to be wearing about the same after 2 days. Unless I get a half event in the rain or something probably need to just change after 4 days, unless 5th event is close and it sucks ending early.

I really like the ps2, hopefully another Walmart sale, but Defiantly interested in better lasting options as tire cost is higher per event than the price of admission!

Brake pads, especially front were shot after 6 days and 1,200 road miles; needed front rotor resurfaced too (at 35.5m after resurface which is good).
2019F200-E0DA-4C25-9642-0AA85D79D024.jpeg
F2D06B17-014D-4A7F-8C84-731E56E3CA03.jpeg
BA084C55-3494-4E2E-9B8C-67F74831A5E8.jpeg
I have about 30 events on these.
https://www.gt350brakes.com/product/essex-designed-15-gt350-ap-racing-big-brake-kit

Still on the original rings. Pads last me 5-6 track days but are cheaper than the oem pad shape race versions.

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I've heard both sides of the RE-71R story as well. I'm on the lookout for some 200tw tires for Time Attack and these were on my list.

I assume you're using 18in wheels for the scrubs?

What tire would you recommend in the 200tw and up category for time attack?

Hehe. Thanks. Added!

Added! Thank you!
This car loves 18s, feels far better.

Probably re71r, they will get you some glory laps. But don’t be fooled, push them and they will fall apart.

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
Reality is the Cup2 Porsche Spec 305/30/19 (102Y) is going to provide best longevity combined with performance. I don’t get it, but the guys running those legitimately get twice the life from them without a sacrifice in performance. It’s clearly a far more robust design. Unfortunately you pay the Porsche tax for these; they’re about $100 more per tire than the 350 spec tires. It will be interesting to see how the ‘19 Cup2 in 35 aspect ratio will perform and what the price point is. I’m not optimistic they will equal performance to the 30 aspect ratio Cup2s, but outside chance these may be a pretty viable option.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Reality is the Cup2 Porsche Spec 305/30/19 (102Y) is going to provide best longevity combined with performance. I don’t get it, but the guys running those legitimately get twice the life from them without a sacrifice in performance. It’s clearly a far more robust design. Unfortunately you pay the Porsche tax for these; they’re about $100 more per tire than the 350 spec tires. It will be interesting to see how the ‘19 Cup2 in 35 aspect ratio will perform and what the price point is. I’m not optimistic they will equal performance to the 30 aspect ratio Cup2s, but outside chance these may be a pretty viable option.
If you can get 8 to 10 days out of the 102y they might be the best compromise price wise. Short of take offs.

Sponsored

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
It depends on how experiences you are. Driving 2-3-4-5-10 seconds off the capability of the car will greatly determine the longevity of the tire. On too of that, the difference in session length, number of sessions per day, ambient temperatures, mods to the car (esp camber) all make it difficult to compare how many days one person is getting out of a set of tires vs another.

In reality, all of these tires will not last much longer than 2 hours when driven at the limit lap after lap. That's 4-8 15-minute sessions.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
If you can get 8 to 10 days out of the 102y they might be the best compromise price wise. Short of take offs.
I;m thinking of trying these next for my go to tire that aren't slicks. My try NT01s as well.

It depends on how experiences you are. Driving 2-3-4-5-10 seconds off the capability of the car will greatly determine the longevity of the tire. On too of that, the difference in session length, number of sessions per day, ambient temperatures, mods to the car (esp camber) all make it difficult to compare how many days one person is getting out of a set of tires vs another.

In reality, all of these tires will not last much longer than 2 hours when driven at the limit lap after lap. That's 4-8 15-minute sessions.
Definitely. That's why I was hoping people would share info into what runs groups/events/tracks they run. As I've pushed harder, I've been cutting days off tire lives. Especially at tracks like COTA.

Now I need to work on being smoother and improving life.

TheDeadCow

Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase
IMSA is going to Michelin next year so that ought to open a new avenue in the take off market

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350