Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Hi all,

Wanted to start a thread to start collating content on folks' experience with various tires. I know collectively we all have a ton of data and knowledge, so hoping we can get it somewhere easy to find and converse about it.

Also, thinking about building a table with folks' experience:

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s

HoneyBadger - 305/30/R19 (98Y) squared
  • Event type/run group: HPDE, Advanced
  • Number of sets: (3)
  • Driving style: Not tire friendly, unfortunately
  • Days lasted: Avg. 4
  • Did you rotate: Yes, front to back
  • Tire pressures: 32 hot
  • Camber: -3.2 front, -2.5 rear
  • Tracks: COTA, Road Atlanta, Buttonwillow, and Thunderhill

Michelin Pilot Super Sports

Honeybadger - OEM MPSS tires on OEM wheels
  • Event type/run group: HPDE, Novice and Inter
  • Number of sets: (2)
  • Driving style: Smoothish?
  • Days lasted: Avg. 10 for front, 14 rears
  • Did you rotate: No
  • Tire pressures: 33 hot
  • Camber: -1.75 front, -1.5 rear
  • Tracks: The Ridge, Oregon Raceway Park, Pacific Raceways, Portland Intl. Raceway, Laguna Seca, Sonoma, and Thunderhill
Goodyear 3Rs

@mpaige22 - OEM R
  • Event type/run group:HPDE // Advanced
  • Number of sets: 1
  • Driving style:Smooth (tire friendly aka proper warm up and cool down....flatout when warm)
  • Days lasted:NA (but to guesstimate 2.5-3)
  • Did you rotate:Yes
  • Tire pressures:34-35 hot
  • Camber: 4.2 Front // 2.9 rear // 0 toe
  • Tracks:Sonoma
Toyo R888Rs

@Ixse in 295/30/19 square set up (only reason i went w 295s instead of 305s were cost. 295s for some reason are $80-90 per tire cheaper)
Number of sets : 1
Deiving style : smooth / agressive
Days lasted : 5-6 days (4-20min sessions each) w about 1000 street miles.
Rotate: no
Pressure: 32-33 hot
Camber: -2.5 front -1.5 rear
Track: ACS in fontana

Please add your own experiences! Would love to expand on this and get folks' feedback who have tried other tire brands! I know @mpaige22 can provide feedback on those new GYs!
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I don't have a lot of feedback on the MPSS as it's been about a year since I've run them and I know others will plenty to provide.

However, I've had quite a bit of recent feedback on the 305/30R19 (98Y) Cup 2s. No matter what I did, I couldn't get more than (4) days out of them. Well, at least when driving normally. I could probably extended it out to (5), but where's the fun in that?

They have fantastic grip and are usually warm in about half a lap, so a great HPDE tire. BUT unfortunately, they start to chunk before they heat cycle out. Good way to ruin your day early.

All (3) of my sets wore the same way - chunked in the center.

First set after 3 days at Thunderhill and 1 at Buttonwillow. While not completely dead, definitely not reliable for another event.
20180419_213548.jpg

Here's my latest set - JUST starting to chunk after only 2 days at COTA. Will probably get another day out of them.
20181030_202922.jpg

I know a couple of the PNW guys have moved to the Porsche spec tire because it's a 102Y vs. the OEM 98Y, so theoretically it should be better at handling heavy loads. According to what I've heard, they're getting 7+ days out of them. I'll @CSL add more info. He's also trying a set of 315s squared next, so he can provide data there.

qdog9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1
I just purchased Cup Sport 2's for HPDE and so far (1 track weekend) I have not experienced chunking yet, previouolsy ran Nitto NT01's and got about 10 track days on them and they were fantastic.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I just purchased Cup Sport 2's for HPDE and so far (1 track weekend) I have not experienced chunking yet, previouolsy ran Nitto NT01's and got about 10 track days on them and they were fantastic.
Nice! How do you like them compared to the NT01s? OEM r sizes?

Mind filling this out for your Nittos experience?
  • Event type/run group:
  • Number of sets:
  • Driving style:
  • Days lasted:
  • Did you rotate:
  • Tire pressures:
  • Camber:
  • Tracks:

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Great thread idea. I will fill in my info later (need to collect the data to be as accurate as possible) but I suggest we also list details if we notice ambient temp affecting performance. Example, I've read everywhere that RE71R on a car of our weight gets them greasy. I recently ran my used autox RE71R at ambient air temp of 50-60F and found them to be awesome and not greasy at all. In fact I had a couple of guys stop by me at my last event and inquire what I was running as they thought I was on slicks due to my corner speeds :like:

Sponsored

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I’ve ran the MPSS, cup 2s and RE71R.

For most people on this forum the MPSS will do just fine.

The Cup 2s are great but will wear fast.

The RE71Rs on my other cars were great but not so good on this car. They greased pretty quickly and heat cycled out before they got worn.

I’m now using take of slicks. For around 4-500 a set I get 3 solid track days.

I’ve used the continentals and pirellis.

The pirellis are the fastest, faster than Hoosier.

Then there’s 2 continental types, one is good for endurance and lasts forever. The other is about the same as a Hoosier r7.

I do some time attack events so I’m shooting for the fastest LapTimes possible and drive aggressively.

tracktardicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 86
What are the specs for the 19" Conti endurance takeoff tires, and where do you source them from? I ran the used 18" Conti endurance tires from the Continental Tire series on my older cars and they were great (they were actually Hoosiers branded as Conti.)
I’ve ran the MPSS, cup 2s and RE71R.

For most people on this forum the MPSS will do just fine.

The Cup 2s are great but will wear fast.

The RE71Rs on my other cars were great but not so good on this car. They greased pretty quickly and heat cycled out before they got worn.

I’m now using take of slicks. For around 4-500 a set I get 3 solid track days.

I’ve used the continentals and pirellis.

The pirellis are the fastest, faster than Hoosier.

Then there’s 2 continental types, one is good for endurance and lasts forever. The other is about the same as a Hoosier r7.

I do some time attack events so I’m shooting for the fastest LapTimes possible and drive aggressively.

LAPTIMZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Ahhhh you suckered me in HB. I only have one full day on my Goodyear F1 Supercar 3R tires and will be either at Laguna Seca or Sonoma on Nov 17-18 depending on wait lists. Nonetheless I can give initial impressions on my GYF13R's as follows:
  • Event type/run group:HPDE // Advanced
  • Number of sets: 1
  • Driving style:Smooth (tire friendly aka proper warm up and cool down....flatout when warm)
  • Days lasted:NA (but to guesstimate 2.5-3)
  • Did you rotate:Yes
  • Tire pressures:34-35 hot
  • Camber: 4.2 Front // 2.9 rear // 0 toe
  • Tracks:Sonoma
These tires are faster than SC2's, RE71r's and NT01's but maybe a tiny fraction less than R7's. They wear FAST and have very low factory tread depth to begin with. Similar to any R comp cold temps aren't friendly whatsoever however once up to temp (2 laps) they grip incredibly well and I haven't noticed them falling off when hot. They are also incredibly light for 305 tires. The cost of the set is why I will continue to run them as long as I have this car. They are the cheapest and fastest tires in 305 outside of used scrubs. The caveat is my car is 99.9% track driven and sees little to no street time other than to and from the track. I'll have more to update soon!

Reactions: TDC

Ixse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
R888r in 295/30/19 square set up (only reason i went w 295s instead of 305s were cost. 295s for some reason are $80-90 per tire cheaper)
Number of sets : 1
Deiving style : smooth / agressive
Days lasted : 5-6 days (4-20min sessions each) w about 1000 street miles.
Rotate: no
Pressure: 32-33 hot
Camber: -2.5 front -1.5 rear
Track: ACS in fontana

Tire runs similar times w re71r or nt01s imo.. maybe bit slower than cup2s . First 15min of the session it feels great. Takes about a lap to warm up. After 15min, it starts to get bit greesy. But very consistant thoughout multiple heat cycles. Breakaway is progressive. Downside: Doesn’t make much noise or feel at the limit. And tire is heavy.
I’d say this is great value tire (compared to nt01s or cup2s), if you looking for track worthy tire at lower cost and will last decent amount.

nordique14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Magnetic Gray (J1601)
Ahhhh you suckered me in HB. I only have one full day on my Goodyear F1 Supercar 3R tires and will be either at Laguna Seca or Sonoma on Nov 17-18 depending on wait lists.
I will be at LS on Nov 18. Not sure yet if I will run MPSS or Cup2. Will depend on the weather and if I want to use up the rest of my Cup2 or save them. They have 3 days on them and look to have about 1 more day left.

Sponsored

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
What are the specs for the 19" Conti endurance takeoff tires, and where do you source them from? I ran the used 18" Conti endurance tires from the Continental Tire series on my older cars and they were great (they were actually Hoosiers branded as Conti.)
I’m actually using 18s.

Most slicks on 19s are about an inch taller than oem so depending on offsets they can rub.

The 19” pirellis were 305/690 I believe which were good.

I got this kit https://www.gt350brakes.com/product/essex-designed-15-gt350-ap-racing-big-brake-kit

That allows you to run 18s on the stock rear brakes. Best decision I made for this car.

I run 305/690/18s if I recall and they are truly amazing. I have 18x11 forgelines that are square so I rotate them.

Usedracingtires.net usually has a good amount available.

LAPTIMZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I will be at LS on Nov 18. Not sure yet if I will run MPSS or Cup2. Will depend on the weather and if I want to use up the rest of my Cup2 or save them. They have 3 days on them and look to have about 1 more day left.
I'm emailing back and forth with NCRC trying to get a slot for the 18th as well (17th has a longer wait list)....hopefully I'll see you there.

nordique14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Magnetic Gray (J1601)
I'm emailing back and forth with NCRC trying to get a slot for the 18th as well (17th has a longer wait list)....hopefully I'll see you there.
Yeah. My friend and I both signed up for the 17th. But turns out they only had one slot. So we moved to the 18th. But we registered a month ago when they still had space.

Check their FB page. People post there when they cannot go and you can buy their spot. You deal directly with the seller and I think NCRC charges a $15 transfer fee. Hope to see you there!

LAPTIMZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Yeah. My friend and I both signed up for the 17th. But turns out they only had one slot. So we moved to the 18th. But we registered a month ago when they still had space.

Check their FB page. People post there when they cannot go and you can buy their spot. You deal directly with the seller and I think NCRC charges a $15 transfer fee. Hope to see you there!
I appreciate the heads up. Unfortunately I don't use Facebook, I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed for a miracle lol. But feel free to send out a PSA if anyone is having second thoughts that you "know a guy" haha