Sponsored

Heads-up on Roush hood strut kit on a '19 Bullitt

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt K1191, '20 BMW X3 M40i, '17 BMW 440xi, '14 Ram truck...and 19 old Triumph motorcycles
I finished the installation of the Roush 2015-2017 Mustang Gas Hood Strut kit today. I chose the Roush version because it has much more structure on both the hood and fender brackets compared to to others models. It's stronger, but no one seems to have problems with the other brands...but I'm an engineer and like things built hell for stout.

There's a gotcha though: the fender brackets are about 1/16" too tall and may hit the hood when it's closed ! :whew: Roush is aware of the concern and had me grind about 1/16" off the top of both brackets to ensure clearance; I used a thin slice of cheddar cheese on to the top of each bracket, closed the hood, and then measured the clearance. After grinding, i have about 3/32" clearance - not a lot, but enough. It's possible the brackets could deform the underside of the hood if you weren't aware of the potential problem.

Apparently the '19 Bullitt hood is different than other Mustangs; hard to believe, but Roush engineering was already aware of the issue.

aileron
Sponsored

16Fastback

RMR 8985
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fastback , 2009 Ranger 4x4
As long as your happy,I have redline hood struts been to plenty of car shows with the wind blowing pretty good and they held up just fine. Its an aluminum hood not much weight there.everybody has there reasons the reviews for redline were great so that's why I chose them.

OP
OP
aileron

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt K1191, '20 BMW X3 M40i, '17 BMW 440xi, '14 Ram truck...and 19 old Triumph motorcycles
As long as your happy,I have redline hood struts been to plenty of car shows with the wind blowing pretty good and they held up just fine. Its an aluminum hood not much weight there.everybody has there reasons the reviews for redline were great so that's why I chose them.
In hindsight the RedLine version may have been smarter if it works w/o modification for a '19 Bullitt.

POJ 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt build no.301
In hindsight the RedLine version may have been smarter if it works w/o modification for a '19 Bullitt.
What makes you think the bullitt hood is any different to a GT hood?

OP
OP
aileron

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
What makes you think the bullitt hood is any different to a GT hood?
Only that Roush engineering in Michigan told me they've seen a problem on Bullitts - I don't know if '19 GT's have the same issue.

Sponsored

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Interesting about the Bullitt hood being different, I wish they'd elaborate. Thanks for the info though! I do know the insulation on the underside of the hood is different to create a seal with the open air box but don't think that would affect the strut area so I'm really curious what else is different.

POJ 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt build no.301
Interesting about the Bullitt hood being different, I wish they'd elaborate. Thanks for the info though! I do know the insulation on the underside of the hood is different to create a seal with the open air box but don't think that would affect the strut area so I'm really curious what else is different.
Before I ordered my redline hood struts in July I had it confirmed by email from Redline themselves that their struts would fit the 2019 Bullitt

OP
OP
aileron

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)

AC53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
VW Touareg TDI, Lincoln MKZ, F-350 TD
Good on them. Hard to catch Jack sleeping. ;-)
Sponsored