Sponsored

Apex EC-7 19x10 & Conti ECS 285/35-19

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
This is not a review thread; it is me sharing some pics and initial thoughts on my new EC-7s in 19x10 and Continental Extreme Contact Sport (ECS) tires in 285/35-19. As my car is 99% street driven I went with a square setup for rotatability.

I purchased the wheels direct from Apex (thanks, Corey!) and they arrived in perfect condition, double-boxed. Really appreciated that. The tires I got from Discount Tire, only b/c I always buy the warranty certificates on all tires; it's saved me a lot of money over the years. Apex doesn't currently offer such a warranty but is looking into it, as I understand. Else, I'd have bought a tire/wheel package direct from them.

I wanted to mount the wheels to the car myself as I wanted to wire wheel the rust off the hubs and put anti-seize on the hub faces. So how do you get four big wheels home in a Mustang? Easy; like this:

IMG_20181005_085621441_HDR (Large).jpg

IMG_20181005_085633975 (Large).jpg

Not shown is the four boxes the wheels came in, broken down, folded in half and stuffed into the passenger side wheelwell. :D I'm a master at "Car Tetris" as I drove a Ford Focus sedan for a long time in the bad old days. I brought home many loads of 10-foot 2x4's when building out a room in the house...THAT was ugly. Today was cake.

First off, I'm a little disappointed that the Mustang wheel centers/caps do not fit the EC-7s as advertised. Not even close. Thankfully, the "Apex" center caps are not bad looking...but I wanted to reuse the Pony caps for that "Oh they are stock wheels...wait, they're not!" effect.
IMG_20181005_123642211 (Large).jpg

Second, let me throw a figure at you: 46.5 pounds of unsprung weight lost. Each stock 20x9" Foundry with a worn-down 265/35 Goodyear F1 on it weighs 11.7 pounds more than the 19x10 EC-7 with a brand new 285/35-19 on it. New vs. New, add another pound at least to the F1 combo! I can easily feel this weight difference. I always thought the stock wheels/tires felt like "lead shoes" on the car. It's a great combination; stickier tire and lighter rotating assembly. The Conti's are a lot harder to break loose than the Goodyear F1's are. Haven't' nailed it coming out of a corner yet, but I will early next week. I have a number of "I can screw around right here" locations on my work commute where I can nail it turning a corner and if I loose the rear end there's a lot of runoff room. :D

Stock.
IMG_20181005_122540635 (Large).jpg

EC-7
IMG_20181005_122557046 (Large).jpg

My GT is on Steeda Progressive Springs, 1-1/8" drop in front, 1" in rear. The front tire-to-strut clearance is CLOSE. Like 1/4" close. I cannot get my finger in there at all. There's nothing wrong with the tire; the light is hitting the raised lettering and it looks weird. These are also crappy cell phone pics.

IMG_20181005_123139470 (Large).jpg

IMG_20181005_123126338 (Large).jpg

IMG_20181005_122947394 (Large).jpg

I've driven about 20 miles so far; some highway, some parking lots, some side streets and I've not heard any rubbing from the front so far. To be fair, I haven't tried my "ultimate rubbing test" which is to do skidpad-type tight circles in a parking lot.

My pics are not great; sorry about that. I gave the car a very quick wash and snapped some pics as the sun was going down. I didn't take a "view from behind" pic, but can tell you that the 285s look positively monstrous and w-i-d-e as compared to the 265s. :D

IMG_20181005_150557590 (Large).jpg

InkedIMG_20181005_150539415_LI (Large).jpg

InkedIMG_20181005_150631770_LI (Large).jpg

IMG_20181005_150607623 (Large).jpg

A few "How's it fit in the wheelwell?" pics taken in the garage.

Front
IMG_20181005_202033915 (Large).jpg

IMG_20181005_202150808 (Large).jpg

Rear
IMG_20181005_202119729 (Large).jpg

So far I'm really liking this combo. The darker look will have to grow on me, but the "lead shoes" feeling is gone, the rear end sticks a lot better and the front feels more planted. So far, so good.

ps
I know: My rotors look puny. I have PP Brembos with slotted drilled discs for front/rear sitting on my bench...for more than a year. That's next. :)
Sponsored

Last edited:

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
That gap to the strut looks fine. I usually set my camber for about that much clearance to the strut and its been fine. Wheel deflection from hard cornering will pull the wheel away from the strut more than it will be pushed in.

Apex Wheels

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Looking good, Mike! Glad to hear you're enjoying them so far. Impressive job loading the car up, I know that feeling all too well.

Clearance between the strut and tire up front is more than fine. You will be well setup for any sort of driving scenario with that much room. Reduced rotating mass is a great feeling when getting behind the wheel (pun intended), and 12 pounds dropped is HUGE. Like I mentioned in the other thread, our EC-7's use factory centercaps from older Mustangs. The SM-10 uses the S550 caps. Sorry about the mixup.

Thanks for the mini-review and pics, feel free to shoot some more over to me (Free T-shirt if you would like).

Cory

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
I like t-shirts! :D I'll take some more pics this weekend and PM them to you. Thanks! And the loss of almost 12 pounds per wheel is noticeable at all times whether I'm doing 80 or crawling through a parking lot. it's pretty cool that the car has more available grip, rides better and has "lighter shoes." Easier on the suspension and on my back. :sunglasses:

No worries on the center caps...I'm over it. I do appreciate the list of other caps that do fit that you posted in the other thread. The Apex caps look pretty slick, actually.

Apex Wheels

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I like t-shirts! :D I'll take some more pics this weekend and PM them to you. Thanks! And the loss of almost 12 pounds per wheel is noticeable at all times whether I'm doing 80 or crawling through a parking lot. it's pretty cool that the car has more available grip, rides better and has "lighter shoes." Easier on the suspension and on my back. :sunglasses:

No worries on the center caps...I'm over it. I do appreciate the list of other caps that do fit that you posted in the other thread. The Apex caps look pretty slick, actually.
Sounds like a plan! Talk to you soon

Cory

Sponsored

Vato

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Saleen White Label
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you @mikes2017gt. This thread answered so many questions. I want to run 295/35 on the same size wheels but I believe a 35 offset would be best for that bigger tire. Thanks again!

Apex Wheels

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Thank you @mikes2017gt. This thread answered so many questions. I want to run 295/35 on the same size wheels but I believe a 35 offset would be best for that bigger tire. Thanks again!
Hey Frank, just replied to your PM

Cory

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
Clearance between the strut and tire up front is more than fine. You will be well setup for any sort of driving scenario with that much room. Reduced rotating mass is a great feeling when getting behind the wheel (pun intended), and 12 pounds dropped is HUGE. Like I mentioned in the other thread, our EC-7's use factory centercaps from older Mustangs. The SM-10 uses the S550 caps. Sorry about the mixup.

Thanks , I was right about to buy the wrong ones for my EC-7s :like:

@ApexRaceParts
Are these right for EC-7s ( 18x10 ) ??
https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-wheel-center-cap-tri-bar-running-horse-logo-2005-2012/p/M1096A/

Apex Wheels

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
You're very welcome; I have received so much help and advice here, so it makes me happy when I can help someone out too. Good Karma and all that. :) I'm FAR from the expert but I'm not sure about 295 tires on the fronts. I have 285s with the 40 offset on the EC-7s and I have maybe a 1/4" b/t the tire and strut. It really is that close. At least with my setup (1-1/8" drop up front) I'm not sure that if I had to use a spacer, that it would work b/c the tire is already very close to the fender lip. But all cars are different and you could have identical suspension parts on your car and it might sit differently. I can confidently say that without a spacer or raising my front end that a 285 is as wide as I can fit without rubbing.

YMMV, but I defer to Cory from Apex and basically everyone else besides me b/c I'm a tire/wheel noob.

MustangGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 401A 6M Ruby Red
You're very welcome; I have received so much help and advice here, so it makes me happy when I can help someone out too. Good Karma and all that. :) I'm FAR from the expert but I'm not sure about 295 tires on the fronts. I have 285s with the 40 offset on the EC-7s and I have maybe a 1/4" b/t the tire and strut. It really is that close. At least with my setup (1-1/8" drop up front) I'm not sure that if I had to use a spacer, that it would work b/c the tire is already very close to the fender lip. But all cars are different and you could have identical suspension parts on your car and it might sit differently. I can confidently say that without a spacer or raising my front end that a 285 is as wide as I can fit without rubbing.

YMMV, but I defer to Cory from Apex and basically everyone else besides me b/c I'm a tire/wheel noob.
Looks Awesome Mike. Glad it worked out. Your clearance shots look good and the wheels look great. I agree with not using a spacer with the 40 offset. I used the 25mm spacers on my old set of 19x9 wheels and could not wait to go with the 19x10's and not have to use spacers.
Sponsored