Sponsored

Opinion; 50 Year LE or Shelby GT-H?

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
The itch to trade my V6 for a GT has been growing for a while now. I've spent far too much time browsing online ads to see what's available at a price that catches my attention, and this week I've come across 2 cars that are actually pretty respectable deals for what they are.

As the title says, 1 car is a 2015 50 YEAR Limited Edition, Kona blue, with the performance pack AND auto trans, a combo that was only ever available on the LE cars which makes this a unique example of the breed and that much more appealing to me!

The 2nd car is a 2016 Shelby GT-H. Not much to say about it, I know it's not a GT350 but it's an authentic Shelby with SAC numbered plaques on the dash and under the hood, and in typical Shelby fashion it just looks and sounds mean!

So, both cars are about the same price, and both are clean low mileage cars, so it's really about preference. There's things I like about both cars that one has which the other doesn't, so which would you go for?

And no, there's no way I'm buying both! ;-)
Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
You going to every day drive or a week end car. If your going to every day drive I'd buy the Shelby GT -H if your going to just week end it get the 50 Year LE with the Kona color it's much more rare.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Both are very desirable in my opinion........but, assuming the Shelby (as it was a rental) is in excellent condition, that would be my pick. But you can't go wrong with either :like:

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
If I had to pick one out of the two it would be the LE car but that really depends on price. If they are both marked up a silly amount though......

OP
OP
Rick#7

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
You going to every day drive or a week end car. If your going to every day drive I'd buy the Shelby GT -H if your going to just week end it get the 50 Year LE with the Kona color it's much more rare.
It would be my daily ride for probably the next couple years or so, then depending on other factors in my personal life that I hope to have planned out correctly, the DD duties will consist mostly of grocery runs and weekend trips with my girlfriend. ;-)

As far as rarity, the Shelby is one of only 170 or so produced, 140 of which are identical to the one I'm looking at. However, Ford is about to release another run of the GT-H for 2019, and although it won't be identical to the 2016 version it will be very similar, and being built on the same platform it could dilute the perceived uniqueness the 16's. The LE is of course 1 of the 1964 built, and no matter how many anniversary models Ford puts out in the future, there will never be anymore 50 Years edition S550's, so it's status is pretty safe. So at 1st glance the Shelby seems more rare at 170 vs 1964, but how many of those 1964 are Kona? And how many of those are PP cars with the auto trans? I like the idea of having something unique, but realistically I think both cars are pretty equal in that category.

Sponsored

Brian_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
See username
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 3.7L, 2016 Explorer 3.5L
My girlfriend works for Hertz. She says that you need to get the GT-H. :crackup:

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
Neither. Just find a nice low mile 2016 GT and save thousands. Personally I think all Shelby America cars look tacky.

Edit: Get the 50th LE if it's definitely between those two cars. No question.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
You can get such amazing deals on 2018s right now, I can't imagine buying used.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Between those two and assuming excellent condition, Shelby all the way. Since it's a "real" Shelby (i.e. built by SA, has the CSM number for posterity in the registry) it has the pedigree and the rarity going for it.

The LE would be a great car overall, but if you're going to hang onto it indefinitely the Shelby is the ticket.

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
I saw the Shelby in person at a C&C a few weeks ago. Definitely more appealing and eye-catching than a 50 Year LE. Hands down.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Id get the 50th just for the white interior.

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB
Id get the 50th just for the white interior.
That LE interior is a pain to keep clean if it were a daily driver. mine is just a weekend warrior and it's tough enough and i don't allow eating or drinking anything but water in it.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Out of those two, I'd get the GTH. But I'd rather get an even cheaper 15-17 or for likely around the same price, an 18.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
That LE interior is a pain to keep clean if it were a daily driver. mine is just a weekend warrior and it's tough enough and i don't allow eating or drinking anything but water in it.
That wouldn't deter me. I like it enought to clean it. I have the ceramic now. Its a little more work. But it stands out compared to the black.
Sponsored