Sponsored

Convertible Windscreen alternative, courtesy of Audi!

SirLoin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 Convertible
Mine was also very different from sdiver68. Here's a pic of sdiver68's measurements, marked by the X in pen, and where I ended up drilling my holes. Test fitting with his measurements, it was so tight I couldn't hold it in place. I'm not sure why the hole locations are so different. Just be sure you test fit and drill them where you'll be happy with the look, because you only get one chance to get it right.
IMG_4203.JPG
IMG_4204.JPG
IMG_4205.JPG
Sponsored

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
Mine was also very different from sdiver68. Here's a pic of sdiver68's measurements, marked by the X in pen, and where I ended up drilling my holes. Test fitting with his measurements, it was so tight I couldn't hold it in place. I'm not sure why the hole locations are so different. Just be sure you test fit and drill them where you'll be happy with the look, because you only get one chance to get it.
Intersting, thanks for sharing! If mine were that far forward it would hit the seat back during easy exit. Maybe your screen is different? Or maybe year or package?

Like you said, measure 3 times and cut once!

Fastbackjon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang Ecoboost convertible.
Thanks for the lead on an Audi windscreen alternative. I will see if there are any out there left for sale !

SirLoin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 Convertible
Intersting, thanks for sharing! If mine were that far forward it would hit the seat back during easy exit. Maybe your screen is different? Or maybe year or package?

Like you said, measure 3 times and cut once!
I have a 2017 V6 and my wind screen is supposedly the same 2002-09 A4 model. I have the power driver's seat, but it doesn't have the easy exit.

I updated my original reply with pics of the wind screen installed. It's not as close to the driver's seat as it looks in the pics. I can recline my seat about 3 clicks before it hits the windscreen and I have the seat bottom all the way back.

I'm still wondering how we got different results, but couldn't be happier with my new wind screen. Drilling holes in my mustang was hardly a sacrifice for how much it improved my top down experience!

racerdave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convert 17 GMC Sierra 15 Terrain
I am thinking to a point, what we all see as different holes drilled, are really small fractions different if we all had the cars in a group and each measured for ourselves together on each others vehicles.

Sponsored

mpwillis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Monty
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang Vert, '92 911 Cabrio
LOL! I sold a 2008 Audi A4 Vert to get the Mustang (Feb 15). I've had a brand new in the case windscreen and long ago tested the fit - pretty good I thought. I went ahead and bought LTD, but as some have mentioned, lots of straps! I'll be approaching the Audi windscreen again and find the right fit. Great post!

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Well it's been a few months since anyone posted in this. Never the less it's prompted me to get an A4 screen off e-bay. It came the other day and I finally got a chance to play with it.
I've seen where the fold out rear arms rest on the seatbelts and no one has had problems with it moving. While test fitting it I've decided that I want the rear of the screen to be a bit higher than when it sits on the seatbelts. My proposed solution is to make something, probably wooden, that's shaped to slide snugly into the hole the seatbelts comes out of and drill a hole into the end of it that the fold out arms can slide into. I believe this will not only raise the back up (and let the screen be pushed back a bit more) but secure the back and, if I'm careful, look more fitted.
Once I'm done I'll post up some pics.

Packrat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost 10-Sp Auto Premium Plus Convertible (201A)
ORRadtech. I am curious to see what you may end up with for the rear corner seatbelt holes. I also just bought an A4 screen off e-bay. Some kind of slip in piece, either wood or HD poly, would certainly hold down the back of the wind screen. In all the previous posts here, no one seems to complain about the rear side bouncing around while driving.... I wonder about that. Guys, Is this any kind of problem?

Here are two pictures I found at Amazon showing the corner hold down for an "Aperta" brand windscreen.

Aperta Windscreen 1.jpg

Aperta Windscreen 2.jpg

Its too cold or wet here to work on my wind screen yet.
Post something if you make corner hold downs.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Packrat, thanks for the pictures they sparked an idea. So, I took some 1/2" copper pipe and cut two lengths 6.25" long and marked the length of the folding arm (2.75") and flattened it enough that the foldable arm would slide all the way in. I then turned the pipe 1/4 turn and flattened the end. After grinding, filing and sanding off sharp corners and edges I slipped the pipe into some heat shrink tube. The tubes slide into the folding arms and slip into the seatbelts slots. Once the screen is mounted into the holes and grommets as described earlier in this thread it's really very solid. I know others have said that it doesn't need anything in the back but I feel better about it staying put and it looks way more finished than the arms just sitting on the upholstery. As a plus the pipes just slip off allowing them to drop into the storage bag.
20200126_100042.jpg
20200126_095127.jpg
20200126_095127.jpg
20200126_172349.jpg
20200126_172153.jpg

Last edited:

Packrat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost 10-Sp Auto Premium Plus Convertible (201A)
ORRadtech
Great idea. Copper is soft enough to shape and is still stiff enough to not bend when In place. I'll give this a try when I get to working on my new Audi wind screen set up.

Thanks for sharing.

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
So, I looked at the screen in really bright light and it's filthy. Has anyone tried to clean one yet? I'm thinking a mild detergent, and a soft brush in the shower (too cold to do it outdoors) and drip/air dry.
Also, since the top seldom goes up in warm weather I'm a little concerned about theft. I'm trying to figure a way to secure the screen to the car to discourage a quick grab and run. I've got some straps that click into the seatbelt latch that I'm thinking I can maybe attach to the underside of the screen somehow. If I figure it out I'll post back.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Just to follow up. Cleaning the screen was much easier than I anticipated. While it is a little awkward it cleaned very well with Dawn and a soft brush. The water coming off it was a very dark gray, drying with a towel was a breeze and the difference is very noticeable. Second, knowing my OCD wouldn't give up, I went ahead with securing it to the car. I used a bimini top bracket covered with heat shrink tubing that I screwed to the underside of one side of the base near the back of the screen. I've used a stap I had with a seatbelt clip on one end and a swivel clip on the other. I know it's probably overkill but I believe it will stop a casual grab and run theft.
20200202_145507.jpg
20200202_145602.jpg
20200202_150044.jpg
20200202_150919.jpg
20200202_151331.jpg

Hilfloskind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Ecoboost Convertible - Kona Blue
I just wanted to thank @Aggie96 for figuring this out! I picked up a 2018 Kona Blue vert 2 weeks ago and had been browsing the forum for a week or so in advance. I found this thread and bookmarked it for when I got my settlement from my previous car being totalled. I bought this within days of the purchase and installed last weekend.

The difference is unreal! As long as the sun is out and it's over 40 degrees, I'm top down without question. The design and engineering of the Audi windscreen is top notch. I had this measured, drilled and installed in 10 minutes.

I love this forum but I'm sure my wallet (and wife) is going to hate it.

Copperhead73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible PP1, A10, Mag, B&O, A/E, S&S
Just to follow up. Cleaning the screen was much easier than I anticipated. While it is a little awkward it cleaned very well with Dawn and a soft brush. The water coming off it was a very dark gray, drying with a towel was a breeze and the difference is very noticeable. Second, knowing my OCD wouldn't give up, I went ahead with securing it to the car. I used a bimini top bracket covered with heat shrink tubing that I screwed to the underside of one side of the base near the back of the screen. I've used a stap I had with a seatbelt clip on one end and a swivel clip on the other. I know it's probably overkill but I believe it will stop a casual grab and run theft.
Where did you get the male buckle for the rear seatbelt for an 18? Do you have a part number?

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Where did you get the male buckle for the rear seatbelt for an 18? Do you have a part number?
Sorry, I cannot help with a part number. As far as I know it's not vehicle specific.The buckle, strap and clip came as part of a kit to protect a cars rear seat when transporting a dog. It's actually a lead to secure the animal to the rear seatbelt that I repurposed. I've used it in Fords, Hondas and Chrysler vehicles for my dog.
Something like this.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjABegQICBAB&usg=AOvVaw3wgzkQjGaARLhnCgyNjamD
Sponsored