Sponsored

7th Generation Mustang (S650) Moved to 2022...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Smaller and lighter would be good but Mustang needs to stay a four seat sports coupe even if its now just marginally a four seater. Anything else is not a Mustang.
I think there’s more than enough in trunk space to give some up in the name of keeping a useable back seat
Sponsored

edco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007GT & 2017V6_ great Steeda & AM mods
It trends toward exotic. That takes away from Mustang, while performance oriented and cool, is still a car you can drive to work.
It has some 6G Camaro hints. It needs to be more Ford Mustang. Designers should revisit 67 fast back and 69-70 sport roof
for inspiration. The grill and front is a non-starter. It needs to be more Mustang. Oh by the way, did I say it needs to be more Mustang?

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
lol @ all the "they should" "they should" [insert some reference to the 60s car here]

They did that already. Camaro and Challenger's constant 'me too' packages should have indicated retro is out.

I for one like the design, the minute I saw it I realized this is definitely previewing the next design or at least the direction they're going. Think poor man's GTR and Ford GT with an engine in the front. That's what will keep the car selling in EU/APAC other markets, while trading the 'traditional' buyers here for new ones. Plenty of used '14 GT500s, '15-'18 GT350s, '12'13 Boss 302s, Cobra Rs, Cobras, etc if you want that look and feel.

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
Not to mention the INEVITABLE rivalry between Mustang and Supra on the horizon... louvers ain't gonna cut it in 2022...

Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
lol @ all the "they should" "they should" [insert some reference to the 60s car here]
Yep, everyone is an expert!

They should make visibility better (buy an SUV), they should make the cars lighter (buy a German sports car then), they should make the cars smaller (buy a Miata then)..................................

The Mustang is a Mustang because it's different to the rest of the samey stuff on the road. Give me a heavy, large car with poor visibility and I'll be happy as long as it has a V8 and 3 pedals.

edco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007GT & 2017V6_ great Steeda & AM mods

They did that already. Camaro and Challenger's constant 'me too' packages should have indicated retro is out."
History is reliable. The 2022 Mustang concept channels a euro style version of a rod Chevy built 63-66, the Cheetah.
Mustang thrived Cheetah died. Would you rather have a '66 Mustang 2+2 HP289 Fastback or a 1966 Cheetah (pic attached) today, Oct 2018? I respect anyone's choice. My choice is the HP289 2+2. That would be my choice in 1966 and in 2022. Mustang is too popular of a layout to layoff. The concept is too far from the shore. I hope Ford stays home on Mustang design.
1024px-Real_Bill_Thomas_Cheetah,_BTM_Cheetah_Continuation,_or_replica_.jpg

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Guys, please read the topic. It's concept from students at Art Center College of Design, and not something from Ford. The concept is well done, but it is giving us absolutely no hint how the 7th Gen mustang will look like

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yep, everyone is an expert!

They should make visibility better (buy an SUV), they should make the cars lighter (buy a German sports car then), they should make the cars smaller (buy a Miata then)..................................

The Mustang is a Mustang because it's different to the rest of the samey stuff on the road. Give me a heavy, large car with poor visibility and I'll be happy as long as it has a V8 and 3 pedals.
This is what the Camaro crowd said, Chevy listened and gave it the visibility of a tank. Look how it's working out for them. You have to realize that the reason the Mustang is so popular is their ability to make both crowds happy, the enthusiast and the ordinary buyer. At least half of those Mustang sales figures every month are coming from people that just want a cool looking car that they can live with. So they hop in an EcoBoost, see that it's easy to see out of, has a comfortable interior that doesn't feel cramped, etc and they buy. Without those ordinary buyers the Mustang would be having the same struggle the Camaro is having right now.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
This is what the Camaro crowd said, Chevy listened and gave it the visibility of a tank. Look how it's working out for them. You have to realize that the reason the Mustang is so popular is their ability to make both crowds happy, the enthusiast and the ordinary buyer. At least half of those Mustang sales figures every month are coming from people that just want a cool looking car that they can live with. So they hop in an EcoBoost, see that it's easy to see out of, has a comfortable interior that doesn't feel cramped, etc and they buy. Without those ordinary buyers the Mustang would be having the same struggle the Camaro is having right now.
I think that the Mustang being more popular as a rental/fleet car helps. Plus the Mustang is now sold in many more countries - I can't get a RHD Camaro in the UK but can get a Mustang.
If Ford tries to turn the Mustang into a German sports car they will lose.

Sponsored

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I think that the Mustang being more popular as a rental/fleet car helps. Plus the Mustang is now sold in many more countries - I can't get a RHD Camaro in the UK but can get a Mustang.
I'm sure the overseas and fleet sales help, but Camaro sales are declining faster than its competitors, including the Challenger. If you listen to many of the reviewers, they are saying that the Camaro is more like a German sports car, so based on your views that might be a contributor to its sales issues, but the common view of that from Camaro fans is that's what makes it better than the Mustang.

I think it comes down to the fact that the Mustang is close enough in performance to a lot of cars that performance isn't really the determining factor for most, it's the looks, the comfort, the visibility, etc., along with the name and history. I'll bet there are very few people who say "I like the looks and visibility of the Mustang more than the Camaro, but that second or two disadvantage around a track by professional drivers means I won't buy one."

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
7-speed MT-88 manual for S650? :like:

https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-ford-bronco-could-get-a-7-speed-manual-transmi-1829563048

"According to sources who spoke with Jalopnik, Ford has tapped Getrag to build a manual transmission for the upcoming 2020 Ford Bronco. The new transmission which is to be dubbed, the MT-88 will be a seven-speed gearbox and will likely be paired with their 2.7-liter EcoBoost V6 engine.
Ford currently partners with Getrag to produce the MT-82 six-speed manual for the Mustang, so it is possible that this new transmission will feature some similar components or possibly even end up in the next generation of that car."

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
7-speed MT-88 manual for S650? :like:

https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-ford-bronco-could-get-a-7-speed-manual-transmi-1829563048

"According to sources who spoke with Jalopnik, Ford has tapped Getrag to build a manual transmission for the upcoming 2020 Ford Bronco. The new transmission which is to be dubbed, the MT-88 will be a seven-speed gearbox and will likely be paired with their 2.7-liter EcoBoost V6 engine.
Ford currently partners with Getrag to produce the MT-82 six-speed manual for the Mustang, so it is possible that this new transmission will feature some similar components or possibly even end up in the next generation of that car."
But why?
On the MT-82, 1st gear is good to about 7 mph and 6th goes to 155 pretty easily. If there was another gear between 1:1 and 1:1.54... like 1:1.38 I doubt I'd ever get to the 2nd OD

B4Sunrise

Team play is essential
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
OK, I'm assuming this isn't official, but someone has certainly gone to great lengths to produce these scale models. I found it on a FB page with no details other than "You saw it here. First. 5 years from now The Mustang. Yes or No"

Whilst its obvious there are two models here, its worth pointing out there are actually different......particularly around the front end (I prefer the one in the second image down, with the larger grille). Sadly, with the images being quite small and low-res, its difficult to make out the details.

After a bit of initial shock, I actually like these more than I thought I would, considering this is pushing the Mustang design forward a lot. My only concern would be the narrow DLO (Day Light Opening - or side windows to you and I!!) and lack of rear seat space. If this were a 2-seater, then no problem, but one of the things that has made (and continues to make) the Mustang a great sales success is its usability (decent-ish back seat & trunk room with good visibility)

S650 Concept 1.jpg
S650 Concept 2.jpg
S650 Concept 3.jpg
S650 Concept 4.jpg
S650 Concept 5.jpg
S650 Concept 6.jpg
It's awful, is this a Mustang or a Camaro? this is is horrible, absolutely counter to the design principals of the Mustang. The Mustang should remain a usable 2+2. Who is looking at the Camaro and thinking it's a success? The Mustang is an afford able sports car for the masses, that means it's multi-functional, meaning the back seat must remain usable. Sure the Camaro is a better track car, however it sacrifices all the fore-mentioned attributes to attain that status. The Camaro is not an engineering marvel, it's a failure to meet requirements. Ford has proven with the PP2 Mustang GT, the S550 is just as capable a track car as the Camaro, in C&D's lightning lap the Mustang GT with the PP2 is a full second quicker than the 1LE. As good as the Camaro is, it's sales are in the basement, though if you do some objective analysis the Camaro's sales are reflective of the fact it's a practical two seater, cars that only seat two rarely break more than 3,000 sales a month and the Camaro is rapidly moving towards that sales level.

Whatever they do, keep the Mustang a usable 2+2, maintain a usable trunk, maintain outward visibility, perhaps it's time for a 4.0 V twin turbo V8.

Last edited:

B4Sunrise

Team play is essential
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
You'd better go and visit a rental car lot, if you do you'll see there are plenty of Camaro's there in the rental fleets. That is such a lame comment Camaro fans always bring up; reality is Camaro's are in rental fleets just as Mustang's are.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.