Sponsored

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w20 - Tick Gone!

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
My 17 GT developed a cold-start tick/piston slap noise after my initial free oil change at the dealership(~5k miles). I read that this is common and the noise could go away after about ~1k miles. I waited about 3k miles and the noise was still present so I decided to change the oil. I went with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w20 with a Ford Racing oil filter.

I'm happy to report that the cold start noises are gone and the engine sounds like it did before the initial oil change. I know this won't work for everybody but figured I'd share my experience :thumbsup:
Sponsored

iBookmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red Ecoboost Premium
That tells me the ultra platinum leaves a better film on the parts than what ever Ford was putting in.

Racerx009

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford mustang gt non pp
Vehicle Showcase
I bet the dealerships use crap oil like most places do. That's unless you tell them what you want to put into your car.

OP
OP
ypena02

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Ford dealerships use Motorcraft Synthetic Blend. Same exact as the factory fill, supposedly.... :wink:

Why

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
The Motorcraft semi-syn is not a premium oil, more a mid grade product.

Sponsored

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Ford dealerships use Motorcraft Synthetic Blend. Same exact as the factory fill, supposedly.... :wink:
I think it is factory filled MC... Im starting to think its the dealers that added something to the oil themselves. Strangely, I bought a base model GT.. Hardly qualifies for one that would need to be inside the showroom, never had an issue until that first oil change. Some dudes have this tapping/tick right off the lot, dealer musta not added the mystery juice to the oil.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I can confirm this oil got rid of mine as well.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Are ya'll sure that your car wasn't underfilled from the factory or at a dealer oil change (since 2018+ require even more oil than before)?

OP
OP
ypena02

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Are ya'll sure that your car wasn't underfilled from the factory or at a dealer oil change (since 2018+ require even more oil than before)?
Mine was filled perfectly, I check my oil often.

Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I switched to Mobil1 Extended Performance 5w20 at 1,000mi. My tick has turned into a uniform tick above about 1,200rpm.... and technically, Mobil 1 EP has a stronger film strength than Penn UP.

It may have quieted it down, but it think once the noise starts, the damage is done. Even if you have an oil that manages to cover up the noise.

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Mine rarely ticks at idle anymore, cold start or not, I really think the cooler weather has made it less quiet. If you rev engine, its still there but barely.

alanpv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium

careature

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt 2017 pp
My 17 GT developed a cold-start tick/piston slap noise after my initial free oil change at the dealership(~5k miles). I read that this is common and the noise could go away after about ~1k miles. I waited about 3k miles and the noise was still present so I decided to change the oil. I went with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w20 with a Ford Racing oil filter.

I'm happy to report that the cold start noises are gone and the engine sounds like it did before the initial oil change. I know this won't work for everybody but figured I'd share my experience :thumbsup:
Thanks for the info.

careature

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt 2017 pp
I switched to Mobil1 Extended Performance 5w20 at 1,000mi. My tick has turned into a uniform tick above about 1,200rpm.... and technically, Mobil 1 EP has a stronger film strength than Penn UP.

It may have quieted it down, but it think once the noise starts, the damage is done. Even if you have an oil that manages to cover up the noise.
I tried m1 ep 5w20 and it did not fix the tick
Sponsored