Lug Nuts - OEM for the Ford GT, fits GT350/R & all Mustangs

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
I'm wondering if the Gorilla locking lugs can handle 150 ft lbs. Anyone use them yet? I wouldn't mind using 1 on each rim rather than 5 for that reason.

On my car, I was able to use 13/16" with a perfect fit on 3 of my wheels, but needed 21mm on the 4th wheel for all 5 lugs! Go figure! I could force the smaller 13/16 socket onto the lug, but it was clearly going to cause problems and I could not get the nut out of the socket by hand. I've read that some OEM lugs are different size than others with those stupid chrome caps.

TexBB

'18 GT350 Leadfoot Grey
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350, chassis J0859
I'm wondering if the Gorilla locking lugs can handle 150 ft lbs. Anyone use them yet? I wouldn't mind using 1 on each rim rather than 5 for that reason.

On my car, I was able to use 13/16" with a perfect fit on 3 of my wheels, but needed 21mm on the 4th wheel for all 5 lugs! Go figure! I could force the smaller 13/16 socket onto the lug, but it was clearly going to cause problems and I could not get the nut out of the socket by hand. I've read that some OEM lugs are different size than others with those stupid chrome caps.
I have gorilla locking lug nuts - 96643BDX. All nuts are locking and black. They have no problem getting torqued to 150 ft lbs. work perfectly.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Those look like the same junk two piece stock units in black. As far as finish durability I would say it was low due to the warning about using a non-marring socket by hand.

Get some Gorillas.

I'm wondering if the Gorilla locking lugs can handle 150 ft lbs. Anyone use them yet?
10k miles @ 150# and so far so good.

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
12 lug nuts on my 17 R have deformed and no longer fit 21mm, and 22mm strips the edges. Despite buying a new Raptor and new R last year, both with 8 year extended warranties and the wheel and tire warranty for the R, ford told me to F off and they wouldn't cover under warranty. Wanted $7.50 each for replacements that would just do the same thing next year. I just bought the $65 black gorilla lugs for a pack of 20, not worth the fight.

Just overall disappointed with Fords service (two different dealers) and I've never gotten a loaner even when the R ac compressor went out this summer and Raptors tailgate was misaligned from factory. They wanted to diagnose and me to come back to the dealer later for the loaner. /end rant

Sponsored

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
I swapped my lugs out to Gorilla Blacks last weekend. First time the wheels were off the car. I learned that my torque wrench only goes up to 150 ft-lbs. Scary!

gkoutsok

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gus
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 HEP

I use them, no problem at all.

tracktardicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 86
I swapped my lugs out to Gorilla Blacks last weekend. First time the wheels were off the car. I learned that my torque wrench only goes up to 150 ft-lbs. Scary!
Just a heads-up that torque wrenches lose their accuracy the closer they are to their high or low limits. It might not be a bad idea to get a higher-quality wrench given the application.

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
Just a heads-up that torque wrenches lose their accuracy the closer they are to their high or low limits. It might not be a bad idea to get a higher-quality wrench given the application.
Exactly! That is why it was so scary at the top end of the instrument range. I run an engineering department, and I broke a few rules here.:headbang:

Sponsored

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350

trevman2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT3fiddy
Don't skimp on a quality torque wrench. Ive been an aviation mechanic for 30+ years and this is something you don't want to save a few bucks on.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Air Impacts seems to destroy stock lug nuts., So I never use them. Hence all of mine are still 21mm. Now I have aftermarket rims, lighter than stock, so I torque the lugs to 130 lbs-ft. To check the accuracy of the click style torque wrench (mine goes to 200 lbs-ft), check it with the sweep style. If you have access to one.
Sponsored