2018 GT with Show Stopper Red interior - how to clean

OldGuy2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT V-8 Premium
The drivers seat in our 2018 (3 months old) has discolored. Suggestions on what to clean it with.
Show Stopper Red jpg.jpg
Sponsored

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
When you say it is discolored, do you mean it is fading or do you mean it appears to have dirt on it?

My wife's Camry has tan leather interior and for some reason the dye in our blue jeans stains it. Usually a quick wipe down with some Armor All leather cleaner wipes takes care of it. Takes a little elbow grease, but not too bad.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
The materials used for vehicle upholstery these days have a protective coating over the them. There's really no need for cleaners other than a soft cloth, and water to get the dirt off.

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
VLB brush and a dedicated leather cleaner...

Do NOT use APC.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
The materials used for vehicle upholstery these days have a protective coating over the them. There's really no need for cleaners other than a soft cloth, and water to get the dirt off.
I’m Going to disagree with that statement. Use a good leather cleaner and follow up with a leather conditioner.

Sponsored

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
Lexol cleaner followed up with Lexol conditioner. Not sure how it would have gotten discolored in just 3 months, though. Mine looks like new. I used the conditioner shortly after taking delivery of the car. I also had a 2016 with ceramic colored seats and they looked like new when I sold the car at 20,000 miles. Lexol conditioner every few months.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
The drivers seat in our 2018 (3 months old) has discolored. Suggestions on what to clean it with.
Yeaaaaaaah.............you're going to have to post pictures.

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
My guess is dye transfer from blue jeans.

It can stain seats in very short order. I've cleaned seats with less than 1000 miles that have a pronounced blue/dark tint due to this. It does come out given the tools I recommended in my prior post.

OP
OP

OldGuy2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Thank you everyone for your reply's.
The color transfer is from my dark colored leather belt.
I will try the remedies suggested.

OP
OP

OldGuy2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Update on this issue.
The owner of a detailers supply house, a professional detailer that did the paint correction on our GT plus myself have not been able to remove the discoloration on the drivers seat despite using several different products.
The owner of an Upholstery Shop in Broward County (Universal Auto Upholstery) took one look at the drivers seat and said "the color is bleeding to the surface from inside the seat".
Plantation Fords' All Star Service Adviser, Cammy Spencer, is forwarding pictures and a narrative to FORD seeking approval to warranty my seats.
More on this next week.

Sponsored

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A

fiveoboy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT 400A
The only pigment in the hide is the color coat, which is red in this instance.

Any discoloration is going to be due to outside sources, such as you said your belt, dye transfer from clothes, staining, etc.

I've worked with leather for several years and have NEVER heard anyone say this, and I asked someone who I would consider much more knowledgeable on leather and he basically looked at me crosseyed over the suggestion.

I don't think your upholstery guy knows what he's talking about. I admit that weirder things have happened and anything is possible but again very, very unlikely that is what is happening here.

You can try to get it warrantied, but I wouldn't be surprised if Ford denies the claim.

OP
OP

OldGuy2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
The only pigment in the hide is the color coat, which is red in this instance.

Any discoloration is going to be due to outside sources, such as you said your belt, dye transfer from clothes, staining, etc.

I've worked with leather for several years and have NEVER heard anyone say this, and I asked someone who I would consider much more knowledgeable on leather and he basically looked at me crosseyed over the suggestion.

I don't think your upholstery guy knows what he's talking about. I admit that weirder things have happened and anything is possible but again very, very unlikely that is what is happening here.

You can try to get it warrantied, but I wouldn't be surprised if Ford denies the claim.
We will see what they say next week.............My upholstery guy has been in the business for many many years.

OP
OP

OldGuy2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
So far all I have received from those posting on this is opinions and no one has given me the name of a product that will remove the discoloration.
I am still fighting with Ford for the warranty of my seats.
The other professional upholstery company I consulted has been in the business since 1970. He used mineral spirits in an attempt to remove the discoloration. Zero removed. The discoloration is not on the surface.
Sponsored