Sponsored

10R80 on the curvy (road race) track

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
This conversation started in another thread but I don't want to derail it there. Let's face it, manuals are only used in lower forms of motorsports these days. I'm interested in development of the 10R80 for road course track use.
  • Ford made many comparisons to Porsche's PDK and used it as a development benchmark.
  • Experience in towing suggest simply adding an external cooler will negate overheating concerns.
  • Camaro's with the same A10 are being run hard without overheating except in the draft of another car.
  • The drag racing scene is already reprogramming it to optimize use in that arena.
Given all those factors, is anyone working on development of the 10R80 for road course track use?
Sponsored

Ace21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1
I have every intention to, but time is the issue for me atm.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
It takes 25 minutes of driving just to get the A10 oil temps out of cold range.

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
It was in the low 70's here yesterday and I got mine above cold in about 6 minutes without pushing it hard.

I'm interested with this as well. I will be road course racing next month. My concern is overheating. We'll see how bad it gets.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
It was in the low 70's here yesterday and I got mine above cold in about 6 minutes without pushing it hard.

I'm interested with this as well. I will be road course racing next month. My concern is overheating. We'll see how bad it gets.
Really? How long for yours to hit 175 degrees?

Some guy on hear ran the A10 at road course and trans temps looked fine. It was the axle temps were the concern. Need axle cooler before anything more than likely.

Sponsored

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
I'd bet it would heat up quickly in track use.

I have been having this discussion on several forums for a while now. One guy (on hear I think) said he's been tracking his. I'll see if I can find the old thread. The thing is. how hard is he driving it? Is he pushing it hard trying to be really fast or just out having fun. Nothing wrong with either one but I'm always trying to push myself to be faster. I finally posted a new best lap at a Mustangs only track even this past weekend. I'm considering an A10 in hopes it would be really good at everything...track, street, drag strip. However, a Ford engineer at the event said he wouldn't choose the A10 for a track car.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Because they make a PP2 mustang. Be kinda ditching there supposed track car if he recommended the A10. But, that needs coolers added too. Lol...

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Let's face it, manuals are only used in lower forms of motorsports these days.
Other than drag racing, torque converter automatics have almost no presence in motorsports.

While the traditional H pattern manual has lost a lot of ground in motorsports, it is not to automatics. It is to manual sequential gearboxes, semi-auto (clutch based) sequential gearboxes, and dual clutch gearboxes.

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
Did he say why?
Because they make a PP2 mustang. Be kinda ditching there supposed track car if he recommended the A10. But, that needs coolers added too. Lol...
Actually he did mention the need for cooling and referenced even the PP2 needing a diff cooler as well. I probably should have dug a bit deeper but didn't want to be a pest. He's been bringing Ford engineers and other employee's to this event for years and they sometimes come with some great information.

Sponsored
OP
OP
sdiver68

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
Other than drag racing, torque converter automatics have almost no presence in motorsports.

While the traditional H pattern manual has lost a lot of ground in motorsports, it is not to automatics. It is to manual sequential gearboxes, semi-auto (clutch based) sequential gearboxes, and dual clutch gearboxes.
You missed seamless gearboxes like in MotoGP bikes. I think you need to read up on the technical design of the 6 clutch 10R80 before you call it a torque converter automatic. Only 1st gear uses a heavily modified version of a TQ converter.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
You missed seamless gearboxes like in MotoGP bikes. I think you need to read up on the technical design of the 6 clutch 10R80 before you call it a torque converter automatic. Only 1st gear uses a heavily modified version of a TQ converter.
I can't find anything that suggests the 10R80 is anything but a conventional automatic with more gears. Including the name of the (~identical) GM version, the Hydra-Matic 10L80. Hydro refers to the hydraulic torque converter link between the engine and trans. All automatics have multiple clutches used to engage the different gears. Look at a rebuild kit for a Turbo 350 and you will see clutches.

I'll worry about "seamless" transmissions and if they are really anything more than a variantion of dual clutch transmissions when they start putting them in cars.

P. S. AMG does make what is essentially an automatic transmission with a clutch connecting it to the engine. But I have yet to see this being applied to a race car (other than maybe the Chaparral Can Am car from the 60's).

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Thanks for making my point.

A conventional, modern automatic with more gears. The kind no one uses to road race.

But have fun. For a street car on track, my biggest concern with it would be heat.
Sponsored