Sponsored

Tired of waiting for the GT500

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
The ME (possible) Vette won't be anywhere near the price point of the 500. Of course since Chevy has to discount cars so much it could get in the ballpark in the CA ADM areas.
From someone who has been purchasing various Mustang models (first car was actually a '67 Cougar) for the last 50 years I can certainly understand and appreciate your frustration.

Having said that last year I had the opportunity to go for a spirited ride in a brand new Camaro ZL1 and after finishing the driving experience in the ZL1 it really confirmed as to why the GT350/R's are a much better drivers car and would suggest that the new 2019/2020 GT500 will provide the same superior driving experience compared to any Camaro model at present.

Recently I took a drive in a friends Dodge Charger Hellcat with ~925 HP and even though it is extremely quick in a straight line I can tell you that it gets boring real fast with the car having very little soul or spirit much the same as the ZL1.

It is no secret that Mustang is presently killing Camaro in terms of sales volumes thus the deep discounts at GM for all models of their Pony car and good reasons for declining Camaro sales compared to Mustang.

From one long time Mustang owner to another I would suggest to hang is there (obviously not easy to do) and to wait for the new GT500 as the experience of ownership for one of these new GT500's will be well worth the wait.

Good luck and keep us all posted!
You guys should pop in over at C6G and tell them where you’re finding all these bargains, especially on ZL1 and 1LE. One of the biggest gripes over there is dealers not willing to come off MSRP. Maybe $1000 here or there, but not much movement. Chevrolet is offering ZERO discounts. Some dealers are offering a little off their own margin. Meanwhile Ford is offering $1,000 and 6.9% financing for 84 months on 2019 Mustangs.

Sponsored

Last edited:

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
If you’re Looking for the next level, why not a 350?

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
Frustrated is a nice way of putting it. Fed up is another. The ZL1 is a well executed car, I just can't get past the looks and the submarine driving feel.
My friend Tom Petty was right - "Waiting is the hardest part".

Brian_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
See username
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 3.7L, 2016 Explorer 3.5L
When Ford unveiled the Bullitt and played that GT500 teaser video during NAIAS back in January, a spokesperson did say at the time that the car would be completely revealed *in 2019*. Nothing has changed from that so far, so I’d say the problem here is your own expectations.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When Ford unveiled the Bullitt and played that GT500 teaser video during NAIAS back in January, a spokesperson did say at the time that the car would be completely revealed *in 2019*. Nothing has changed from that so far, so I’d say the problem here is your own expectations.
I think some of the frustration comes from the vehicle being late to begin with, then a “big” announcement in January. Then crickets. Then a heavily shadowed front end shot. More crickets. Some overhead body form shots. Now its mid-September. Crickets are getting really loud. Announcing in January of 2018 that “we’ll announce something in 2019” is worse than just saying nothing. 2019 could mean December 2019, so if you are not showing concepts, why even put it out there.

My theory is that Chevy had the ZR1 on display right across the aisle from the Ford booth at NAIAS and Ford wanted to have something to say to blunt the press ZR1 was getting. Bullitt was, imho, enough to provide great press for Ford, but they apparently felt the need to discuss something in the same power range as ZR1. Followed by months of eery silence.

Sponsored

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
You guys should pop in over at C6G and tell them where you’re finding all these bargains, especially on ZL1 and 1LE. One of the biggest gripes over there is dealers not willing to come off MSRP. Maybe $1000 here or there, but not much movement. Chevrolet is offering ZERO discounts. Some dealers are offering a little off their own margin. Meanwhile Ford is offering $1,000 and 6.9% financing for 84 months on 2019 Mustangs.

There are some listed up to 5-6k off MSRP on the 18 models now that the 19 is hitting the lots. One place has 21 ZL1s lol. Hoping they deal...but before recently, they were NOT budging on camaros, maybe he meant the vette?

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)

Not sure where they are all looking as the ZL1 that I rode in came with a terrific discount off of sticker.

I see 2 brand new ZL1's listed on eBay right now advertising at $6,000 off MSRP.

Certainly won't see that kind of pricing on an R model.

:wink:

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure where they are all looking as the ZL1 that I rode in came with a terrific discount off of sticker.

I see 2 brand new ZL1's listed on eBay right now advertising at $6,000 off MSRP.

Certainly won't see that kind of pricing on an R model.

:wink:
Oh, I am sure that some can be found here and there, but they will be DEALERS are doing doing the discounting, not CHEVROLET. Dealers who deal in heavy volume can afford to sell more units at less margin and still come out ahead. Making $3,500 profit on each of three vehicles sold comes out ahead of making $5,500 on one. Happens will all makes and models of car. I was responding to the statement that CHEVROLET was having to discount. They apparently are not.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Oh, I am sure that some can be found here and there, but they will be DEALERS are doing doing the discounting, not CHEVROLET. Dealers who deal in heavy volume can afford to sell more units at less margin and still come out ahead. Making $3,500 profit on each of three vehicles sold comes out ahead of making $5,500 on one. Happens will all makes and models of car. I was responding to the statement that CHEVROLET was having to discount. They apparently are not.
I did not intend to suggest that Chevrolet was offering deep discounts on their Camaro's but was referring to their independent dealerships who are offering discounts on all models of the Camaro including the ZL1/1LE and the reason for this is very poor sales on all Camaro models.

It is my understanding that Camaro sales were approximately half of what Mustang sales were for this past month and even if GM combines total sales for the Camaro and Corvette in August they are not even close to the Mustang sales for August.

Even the lowly Challenger outsold the Camaro by ~870 cars last month therefore Chevrolet dealerships are offering all kinds of discounts to move the Camaro line. Pretty much the same scenario as when Chevrolet came out with the Z28 in 2014/2015 whereby anyone in their right mind would not pay ~$75,000 for a Z28 Camaro with an outdated NA 427 engine that was left over from the Corvette line therefore deep discounts on the Camaro model as well.

With respect to Chevrolet offering zero discounts on their HP Camaro's namely the ZL1 and the 1LE I certainly understand that but Ford has also not offered any discounts on their HP Mustang lineup over the last ~10 year either and that includes the ~47,000 GT500's sold from 2007 to 2014 or the ~8,400 Boss 302's sold in 2012/2013 and that continues with the ~20,000 GT350/R's produced over the last 3MY's.

Demand for the Chevrolet Pony car is declining thus in many cases deep discounts even for their HP lineup.

:beer:

SpursFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I would expect the “high volume” versions of C8 to be priced at or below expected GT500 MSRP pricing and the higher performance versions to be right about GT500 ADM pricing.
Not a chance. Adding to this, perhaps the c8 becomes a car Chevy dealers hold out for ADM even further pricing it out of market. I'm not a Vette guy but my good buddy and his dad own/have owned north of 30 Vettes including every new model released since the mid 90s. Their dealer is saying it will start in the low 100s and go well up from there not including any dealer marekup.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SpursFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350

My comment was more directed at Vettes, I kicked tires years ago at three East Bay dealers and had discounts ranging from 5k to 25k in minutes, still couldn't get me in a Vette. Wouldn't never even inquire about a Camaro.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did not intend to suggest that Chevrolet was offering deep discounts on their Camaro's but was referring to their independent dealerships who are offering discounts on all models of the Camaro including the ZL1/1LE and the reason for this is very poor sales on all Camaro models.

It is my understanding that Camaro sales were approximately half of what Mustang sales were for this past month and even if GM combines total sales for the Camaro and Corvette in August they are not even close to the Mustang sales for August.

Even the lowly Challenger outsold the Camaro by ~870 cars last month therefore Chevrolet dealerships are offering all kinds of discounts to move the Camaro line. Pretty much the same scenario as when Chevrolet came out with the Z28 in 2014/2015 whereby anyone in their right mind would not pay ~$75,000 for a Z28 Camaro with an outdated NA 427 engine that was left over from the Corvette line therefore deep discounts on the Camaro model as well.

With respect to Chevrolet offering zero discounts on their HP Camaro's namely the ZL1 and the 1LE I certainly understand that but Ford has also not offered any discounts on their HP Mustang lineup over the last ~10 year either and that includes the ~47,000 GT500's sold from 2007 to 2014 or the ~8,400 Boss 302's sold in 2012/2013 and that continues with the ~20,000 GT350/R's produced over the last 3MY's.

Demand for the Chevrolet Pony car is declining thus in many cases deep discounts even for their HP lineup.

:beer:
Hopefully you can understand that the part in bold below doesn’t sound like it pertains to independent dealers. If I mis-interpreted that, I apologize.

It is no secret that Mustang is presently killing Camaro in terms of sales volumes thus the deep discounts at GM for all models of their Pony car
Bottom line is GM / Chevrolet are not yet concerned enough about month to month sales position of Camaro to offer incentive programs to move them. Instead, inventory is managed by slowing down production and selling what is available at or near MSRP. Dealers can always do what they want and may or may not discount a car. The idea that dealers are universally discounting cars is easily disproven by the fact that people who are looking to buy Camaros of all trims are complaining that there are no discounts and dealers aren’t taking much off. I’m certain there are a few dealers here and there that are sick of holding old inventory and discounting them, but by and large Chevy and their dealership network are holding firm on pricing.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Not a chance. Adding to this, perhaps the c8 becomes a car Chevy dealers hold out for ADM even further pricing it out of market. I'm not a Vette guy but my good buddy and his dad own/have owned north of 30 Vettes including every new model released since the mid 90s. Their dealer is saying it will start in the low 100s and go well up from there not including any dealer marekup.
You can hardly use ADM as an excuse because we ALL know the GT500 well have steep ADM, shoot there's still ADM on GT350! Do you really think its wise to go off what ones dealer said! I'll bet $5 to winners charity of choice that the ME Vette has an entry price around 70K (which is over a 10K bump from the current entry point.)

YOLO

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06, Lexus GS350
You can hardly use ADM as an excuse because we ALL know the GT500 well have steep ADM, shoot there's still ADM on GT350! Do you really think its wise to go off what ones dealer said! I'll bet $5 to winners charity of choice that the ME Vette has an entry price around 70K (which is over a 10K bump from the current entry point.)

Screw the 500.

Base ME Vette will be no more than $5k to $8k over last years models. It's been that way for the last few gens.

The tail end of the platform, new ME Vette coming soon, and ADM.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. :facepalm: