Sponsored

2013 GT500 exhaust with BBK long tube headers

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
I know this is a 2013, but I figured I would give some insight for anyone trying to work out the same combo themselves. As this is my go to Mustang forum I figured I would share my new setup with you guys! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I figured I'd give a little review of the new exhaust setup here as I was having issues myself trying to find this exact setup when I was pondering on what to get. I found a plethora of videos, but none either A)had headers/xpipe or B) never mentioned what they were running besides axle back.

So to preface this, I came from LTH + O/R X-pipe with Roush axle backs. As many know this is a pretty intense setup when it comes to how loud it is. The only thing I absolutely loved about this setup was that the idle and anything under 2k RPMs was seriously deep as h*ll. In the 8 months I've owned her with that setup I've been asked so many times if it's a debadged 5.0. Sadly, for me that's where the pros ended for me (Although now looking back I miss that deep growl like crazy). Anything over 2k RPMs was just absolutely insane. I got tired of feeling bad waking neighbors up, or blasting people in stop and go traffic. Not to mention trying to listen to the radio or hold a conversation.

So yesterday I finally bit the bullet and had my GT500 setup welded up. I bought the axle backs about 2 months ago but just couldn't decide if I wanted to go through with it or not. I got to the shop and it was lower than quoted and only ended up being 75$ to install. After starting the car for the first time...Disappointment is really the only word that could describe the sound at first impression. There was no scream as the car roared to life. No growl as the RPMs dropped. after finally settling down to idle...I couldn't even hear that the car was running. But you have to remember exactly what I came from haha.

Now since then I have actually taken a bit more of a liking to it, and will eventually get used to it. The engine sounds 100x smoother with the GT500 AB. It's still not "quiet" by any means, don't think this setup is going to be like going back to stock, but if you are looking for a loud exhaust this is NOT the route to go. At idle it does have a nice rumble to it. If I had to give it a defining definition I would call it...more refined, less in your face..

Bottom line, if you are looking for a very refined V6 sound, and not trying to go for a deeper V8-esque sound this is an awesome setup. If you want something louder than stock, but not painful this is also a great way to go. As someone who is actually a German/JDM car guy this axle back really reminds me of a performance V6. For the price this setup is a steal if you can get a good deal on GT500 mufflers (Ebay or local shops). Aesthetically the tips fill the rear end VERY well.

[ame]
Sponsored

yamilselman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
what car do you have? , I am planning to do the same mod to my 2016 mustang v6

Fuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
This is just the GT500 axcel back with stock headers , resonators and cats
I am digging the sound. How much louder is it over stock? From the video it seems a bit louder than the stock GT exhaust with x-pipe resonator delete.

Edit: How much modifications did you need to do for clearance for the dual tips?

Last edited:

z3ro_011

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mikee
Vehicle(s)
SS50 3.7l DOHC V6 2016
I am digging the sound. How much louder is it over stock? From the video it seems a bit louder than the stock GT exhaust with x-pipe resonator delete.
It sound definitely louder than stock exaust , it has a nice deep rumble on idle and it not over the top super loud. I would say it sounds refined V6

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Spykexx

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now just get the stock headers off there. The Long tubes sound better with the gt500's ;)

z3ro_011

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mikee
Vehicle(s)
SS50 3.7l DOHC V6 2016
Now just get the stock headers off there. The Long tubes sound better with the gt500's ;)
Do you have any video or clips to showcase that? As far I know shorties are way better on 3.7 I interms of sound

OP
OP
Spykexx

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am the original poster. That was Catless long tube headers, X-pipe, and GT500 axle backs. The shorties aren't bad but I honestly wasn't a fan compared to the Long tubes.