Sponsored

Tired of waiting for the GT500

lucasmelobr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Auto
I've had nothing but mustangs for 17 years, all my cars since I started driving have been mustangs.
I now have a 2016 GT and enjoy the car but looking for that next level upgrade.

Most performance brands have upgraded their models: Challenger and Charger Hellcats, C7 Corvettes, Camaro ZL1, etc...
Ford has been "sleeping on the wheel" and the GT500 is very late in my opinion.
Not to count that once it's delivered(whenever that is), it will be impossible to find one and all of them will have insane markups.

I'm tired of waiting for the GT500, and after 17 years, I'm currently looking at the Camaro ZL1.
It has great reviews, great power, great handling, great transmission and I can order one now.

Anyone else think Ford is late with the GT500? Anyone else looking at other cars?
Thoughts on the ZL1?
Sponsored

AmericanV8Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP, 2016 Corvette C7 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
I completely agree that they are taking their sweet a$$ time.... It's one thing being a tease, but it just gets to the point where you run the risk of alienating some fans. That said, I am still excited to see the final product, just annoyed. Also, won't lie by saying that I NEED to see the REAL spec sheet, as that 4K lb supposed weight has me pretty worried.
But yes, the one thing that annoys me the most are the markups. :curse: Most GT350s being sold in my area were sold with a $25-30K markup over the base MSRP. As much as I love them, they are IMO not worth $90K (granted, a lot better than other cars at that price range, but still). And this problem is primarily due to greedy dealerships that clearly know there is a demand, as Ford HQ kind of gives them free-reign in regards to markups. Hence why I got my C7 Z06 instead. I was (still am I guess) excited to see the new GT500, but now I'm actually more excited to see the ned mid-engine Vette. Ford should really have had a GT500 ready since the Hellcat was announced, but then came the ZL1 and the Demon, and the GT500 is STILL nowhere to be found. That said, I would never own a boat, and see no real reason to have a Zl1 with my C7.
So yea, it's freaking time to actually show something Ford. There are so many spy videos/shots already out there, I don't see why they don't just explode the internet already by finally giving us what we've been wanting ever since the S550 platform was originally announced.... But, just my $.02 (shared by many of my local Mustang owning friends).

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
You can get a ZL1 for quite a bit under sticker last I looked. You are not crazy for contemplating one of those. I also agree that the 500 missed the window. The ME Vette is where it’s at now.

Pedal2Metal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2010 Shelby GT500, 2019 Explorer
The annoying part of the delay is that the GT500 will be on a 5 year old body when it finally arrives.
And, with the S650 due as a 2021 model year, most Mustang fans will be more interested in the newer
model...especially now that rumors have suggested the S650 may be available with all wheel drive.

Sponsored

SpursFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
The ME (possible) Vette won't be anywhere near the price point of the 500. Of course since Chevy has to discount cars so much it could get in the ballpark in the CA ADM areas.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I would appreciate hearing something from Ford as to why they are waiting so long to bring back the GT500.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I would appreciate hearing something from Ford as to why they are waiting so long to bring back the GT500.
You’ll never hear from Ford (or any manufacturer for that matter) why any particular vehicle program is late to market. When I was running Competitor Intelligence at GM we were tracking the GT500 hard. For a lonnnng time. I’ve been retired from that job for over a year and GT500 was already late when I left. At that time we attributed the delays to needing to re-scope to not fall short of ZL1 1LE and Hellcat Redeye, so those were Ford decisions. Probably good decisions assuming Ford has been able to improve the GT500 to outperform those cars, at least on a couple key metrics.

This current delay is not specifically Ford’s fault. Now I work at a company that provides intel and forecast info to auto makers and suppliers. I used to buy info from this company when I was at GM, now I work for them. A supplier for a key component that is a competitor of the company that supplies the component to GT500 told me off the record that his competitor is having difficulty meeting quality and timing for the component.

So my opinion is that development on the car is finished. Design was finished long ago. The manufacturing system is pretty much ready if not totally, but the car is still delayed while Ford and the supplier work out quality issues and a timing plan for the critical component.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
The ME (possible) Vette won't be anywhere near the price point of the 500. Of course since Chevy has to discount cars so much it could get in the ballpark in the CA ADM areas.
I would expect the “high volume” versions of C8 to be priced at or below expected GT500 MSRP pricing and the higher performance versions to be right about GT500 ADM pricing.

Sponsored

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Is the component the DCT?
Or the CF driveshaft, dash panel, or coil springs.

I believe those will be the new CF bits on this car. I can’t think of anything else (hood for example) being super difficult or a critical component for quality.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I've had nothing but mustangs for 17 years, all my cars since I started driving have been mustangs.
I now have a 2016 GT and enjoy the car but looking for that next level upgrade.

Most performance brands have upgraded their models: Challenger and Charger Hellcats, C7 Corvettes, Camaro ZL1, etc...
Ford has been "sleeping on the wheel" and the GT500 is very late in my opinion.
Not to count that once it's delivered(whenever that is), it will be impossible to find one and all of them will have insane markups.

I'm tired of waiting for the GT500, and after 17 years, I'm currently looking at the Camaro ZL1.
It has great reviews, great power, great handling, great transmission and I can order one now.

Anyone else think Ford is late with the GT500? Anyone else looking at other cars?
Thoughts on the ZL1?
From someone who has been purchasing various Mustang models (first car was actually a '67 Cougar) for the last 50 years I can certainly understand and appreciate your frustration.

Having said that last year I had the opportunity to go for a spirited ride in a brand new Camaro ZL1 and after finishing the driving experience in the ZL1 it really confirmed as to why the GT350/R's are a much better drivers car and would suggest that the new 2019/2020 GT500 will provide the same superior driving experience compared to any Camaro model at present.

Recently I took a drive in a friends Dodge Charger Hellcat with ~925 HP and even though it is extremely quick in a straight line I can tell you that it gets boring real fast with the car having very little soul or spirit much the same as the ZL1.

It is no secret that Mustang is presently killing Camaro in terms of sales volumes thus the deep discounts at GM for all models of their Pony car and good reasons for declining Camaro sales compared to Mustang.

From one long time Mustang owner to another I would suggest to hang is there (obviously not easy to do) and to wait for the new GT500 as the experience of ownership for one of these new GT500's will be well worth the wait.

Good luck and keep us all posted!

OP
OP

lucasmelobr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Auto
I completely agree that they are taking their sweet a$$ time.... It's one thing being a tease, but it just gets to the point where you run the risk of alienating some fans. That said, I am still excited to see the final product, just annoyed. Also, won't lie by saying that I NEED to see the REAL spec sheet, as that 4K lb supposed weight has me pretty worried.
But yes, the one thing that annoys me the most are the markups. :curse: Most GT350s being sold in my area were sold with a $25-30K markup over the base MSRP. As much as I love them, they are IMO not worth $90K (granted, a lot better than other cars at that price range, but still). And this problem is primarily due to greedy dealerships that clearly know there is a demand, as Ford HQ kind of gives them free-reign in regards to markups. Hence why I got my C7 Z06 instead. I was (still am I guess) excited to see the new GT500, but now I'm actually more excited to see the ned mid-engine Vette. Ford should really have had a GT500 ready since the Hellcat was announced, but then came the ZL1 and the Demon, and the GT500 is STILL nowhere to be found. That said, I would never own a boat, and see no real reason to have a Zl1 with my C7.
So yea, it's freaking time to actually show something Ford. There are so many spy videos/shots already out there, I don't see why they don't just explode the internet already by finally giving us what we've been wanting ever since the S550 platform was originally announced.... But, just my $.02 (shared by many of my local Mustang owning friends).
Couldn't agree more... :angry:

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Solution:

Buy the zl1.

And when gt500 is out, trade the camaro in for the new hotness.