Sponsored

If you needed an interim 2 year Mustang would you lease or buy?

docprego

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Premium Magnetic/Ebony
My current Ecoboost lease is up in 3 months. The car I really want to purchase is not going to be released until next summer. Therefore I need a car until the model I'm waiting on is available. With this in mind would you do a 2 year lease or would you buy? If I lease it would be another Ecoboost, as GT leasing seems to require a miracle. If I buy it would likely be a GT non premium.

I guess what I'm really asking is if I do buy, will I be able to sell it 16-24 months from now without getting too destroyed? If I can it would seem that buying is the more flexible option in my case.

Or do I just get the lease and keep it for the entire 24 month term?

What are your thoughts?
Sponsored

racrguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I would lease, but I wouldn’t lease a mustang. I’d lease something like a Mazda 3, yes, it’s not a mustang, but if you took the additional payment you’d make and put it towards down payment, you’d be money ahead. A buddy of mine just did a 36mo lease for 250/mo or thereabouts. That’s dirt cheap.

OP
OP
docprego

docprego

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Premium Magnetic/Ebony
I would lease, but I wouldn’t lease a mustang. I’d lease something like a Mazda 3, yes, it’s not a mustang, but if you took the additional payment you’d make and put it towards down payment, you’d be money ahead. A buddy of mine just did a 36mo lease for 250/mo or thereabouts. That’s dirt cheap.
Thank you for your thoughts. I have heavily considered this option and found some inexpensive 36 month leases, but very few 24 month. I really don't want to be in a lease longer than 24 months and have a hard time seeing myself in anything with more than 2 doors. But your point has merit, it would be significantly cheaper. However I am not completely motivated by money, though I don't ignore it either.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Thank you for your thoughts. I have heavily considered this option and found some inexpensive 36 month leases, but very few 24 month. I really don't want to be in a lease longer than 24 months and have a hard time seeing myself in anything with more than 2 doors. But your point has merit, it would be significantly cheaper. However I am not completely motivated by money, though I don't ignore it either.
Get a used car as a temp and just sell it.

Sponsored

LantanaMustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grant
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd
Buy a 2016/2017 used EB premium for $20/21k, and sell it in two years. The depreciation hit has already been taken by owner #1.

The additional depreciation that you'll get hit with over the next 24 months will likely add up to just a small fraction of what you'd total with lease payments, plus you'll then have the flexibility to move on quickly when that next car is ready to be purchased/leased.