Sponsored

Metallic raspy rattling sound when accelerating hard above 4000k rpm

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
There is a plate between your engine and clutch housing that will rattle when the vehicle is warmed up. 3500-4200 RPMs.

Best way i can try to describe the sound is almost like a plastic bag being held out of the car as you go 100MPH. Or maybe one of those old school sprinklers with the huge round head that would pop up out of the ground and pulse water while rotating, then resets back to its original position while increasing the pulse it sprays at.... kinda sounds like it when it resets. Hope that makes sense.

If this is what you’re experiencing, do not fear! No damage will come to your vehicle. Check that plate and either replace it or shim it.
My dealer shimmed it, came back a few days later. I'm requesting they replace it. My appointment is now tomorrow, not today.
Sponsored

Zeromaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I’m an audio science guy and i believe the reason this happens is because of the RPM range is at the plate’s resonant requency, causing it to vibrate. If they made the entire plate a little thicker, it should help. This is also why it would only do it while the vehicle is warmed up... molecules move faster in a warmer temperature, making it easier for that resonant frequency to be hit.

This is just my guess as to whats going on.

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
I’m an audio science guy and i believe the reason this happens is because of the RPM range is at the plate’s resonant requency, causing it to vibrate. If they made the entire plate a little thicker, it should help. This is also why it would only do it while the vehicle is warmed up... molecules move faster in a warmer temperature, making it easier for that resonant frequency to be hit.

This is just my guess as to whats going on.
It may also explain why that plate is no longer available. Perhaps the new piece is thicker.

Zeromaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Good point M. Mine is a 2017... anyone with a 2018 have this rattle? Or anyonw know when the newer plate replaced the older?

Sponsored

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
How did they shim it?
Your guess is as good as mine. I asked the foreman but he talked around it and said the tech was confident it wouldn't return. We know how that went. Dealer ordered the part so hopefully that'll fix it. I'll update regularly.

OP
OP

MustangNY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt and 2017 Shelby GT350
Does anyone know since there now is a new part number if there will be a TSB? This happens to me after I've been driving around for about 45 minutes. I would like to take it into the dealership to get that piece replaced but explaining to them that the car needs to be very warm they would have to hear the problem for themselves and that would mean a technician taking a nice joy ride for 45 minutes which I dont approve of. Given that the whole transmission needs to be dropped for a $15 part they will definitely need to acknowledge the noise. Anyone have any suggestions?

Action

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
Does anyone know since there now is a new part number if there will be a TSB? This happens to me after I've been driving around for about 45 minutes. I would like to take it into the dealership to get that piece replaced but explaining to them that the car needs to be very warm they would have to hear the problem for themselves and that would mean a technician taking a nice joy ride for 45 minutes which I dont approve of. Given that the whole transmission needs to be dropped for a $15 part they will definitely need to acknowledge the noise. Anyone have any suggestions?
That’s a tough one. My rattle (which ended up being that plate), was easily reproduced after about 10 minutes of driving and it took me a total of about 9 weeks of the car being at the dealer for it to be replaced.

Your best bet for a quick resolution would be to pay out of pocket. Otherwise prepare for a lon journey. Or maybe get lucky with a good dealer.

Sponsored

Zeromaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I drove mine around till it was warmed up and the sound was present. Drive it to Ford and asked the service guy to bring a tech out to listen to it right then and there

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
I drove mine around till it was warmed up and the sound was present. Drive it to Ford and asked the service guy to bring a tech out to listen to it right then and there
Did they replace your plate as well?

Had a shop foreman ride with me this AM. He heard it quickly. Thought it was exhaust till he got down on the ground then determined it was coming from the front.

I had already explained the issue we are all having but he was certain it wasn’t the plate. After a while he became less confident. We are going to look at it next week. They were too busy today.

It certainly looks tight in there. When they are finding that it’s loose, are they finding it to be that way at the top of the plate which isn’t visible from underneath the car? Because the bottom of that plate looks nearly impossible to move

Zeromaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
The new plate has still not arrived at the dealership yet. They are replacing it. If your guys would look into it they will see the plates our cars come with aren’t even made anymore. There is a different part number now. Obviously it happened enough for them to swap it out.

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
The new plate has still not arrived at the dealership yet. They are replacing it. If your guys would look into it they will see the plates our cars come with aren’t even made anymore. There is a different part number now. Obviously it happened enough for them to swap it out.
They already know about the part number.

Since your guys have identified the plate do they know where the plate is lose, because the part of the plate that is visible from underneath is completely tight. No give at all. Wondering if it’s at the top or internal between the bell housing and engine.

Zeromaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
They didn’t mention it. It shouldn’t be loose though. I believe its the resonant frequency that makes it rattle when warm
Sponsored

Reactions: _M_