Sponsored

2020 Mustang-inspired EV

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
EVs aren't ready for primetime. There aren't enough charging stations and range varies by driving style. I think hybrids make more sense. This is really ironic coming from Ford when they just took all their small cars in America to the slaughterhouse because they've become niche in America and then they tease this which is actually a niche and a really small one at that.
It's largely a response to the hype around EVs and the perception that they're a dinosaur in an industry that is about the get disrupted into extinction. So they figure they'll burn the last of their brand equity trying to make a splash in the EV market to combat the image that they're late to the party. But as you point out, it's not such a great party to begin with.
Sponsored

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
For me, this using Mustang styling cues is actually WORSE that using the Mach 1 name. At least using a historical Mustang name now makes some kind of (non)sense!

Ford listened to us when we didn't want them to use the Mach 1 name.

Ford listened back in the early 90's when we didn't want the FWD Probe to become a Mustang.

Ford need to listen again. DO NOT USE MUSTANG STYLING CUES ON THIS CAR!

Seriously, this makes me sick to my stomach :crying:
This ^^^

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
I don't know. Look at how well 911 inspired Cayenne & Macans are doing.

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP

Driversedge18

SPIRIT OF AMERICA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ECOBOOST PREMIUM
Vehicle Showcase
We all need to realize that if Ford does not stay in business there will be no more Mustang at all.

I find such a perspective much more worrysome then them building a van that has Mustang shape taillights. Peugeot does that too, so why shouldn't Ford?

peugeot-3008-gt-line-6.jpg
As was said, if there is no Ford there is no Mustang. All the discussions would be a mute point. This move is necessary. :like:

Sponsored

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Nobody identified the Fusion as adopting a Mustang grill. It was widely declared a straight rip-off of the Aston Martin grill. If anything, it was the Mustang adopting a more "Aston-like" version of the shark-bite grill that has created any resemblance to the Fusion.
The Fusion design debuted before the mustang. You have that backwards. It's not just the grille either, the DLO is a connection too.

I have referenced the relationship of AM to the Ford design language many times on this forum. No denying the relationship there. It's also rumored the connection to AM design language as Moray Callum oversaw Ford Design and many of its properties both during the merger and after the divestment of Ford/AM.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I don't know. Look at how well 911 inspired Cayenne & Macans are doing.
Great example. Those SUVs are selling very well and most enthusiasts still think that Porsche and the 911 are great. In fact, many industry analysts feel that the 911 is a better car because Porsche used some of the SUV cash infusion to improve the 911.

Ideally I want Ford to keep the Mustang true to its roots, but I also want Ford to stay in business. I do agree that it might be early for an all electric vehicle, unless Ford has been able to build something significantly better than previous EVs.

coupe3w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67 Mustang FB, 2021 Mach 1, HP, Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
No, please Ford no!

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
Ummmmm, the stakes are high. So, we'll build it in Mexico.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
We all need to realize that if Ford does not stay in business there will be no more Mustang at all.
On the other hand, if Ford is ā†’thatā† close to the edge, borrowing Mustang cues for other models isn't going to be enough to save them.

Norm

Sponsored

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 - N3451 2015 Focus Titanium
What's the chance that its not really a CUV, but the next gen Mustang with an electric/hybrid platform? I'd hate to see Ford use the Mach I name for that venture, but they have to use something.

I keep hoping Ford has an ace in the hole, that will be revealed in 2022, but until then I'm going to have an ulcer.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Iā€™m all for a super sporty SUV.
Bring it!

But to try to make it look similar to Mustang?

Actually angers me.

The Mustang should be distinct. It should stand alone as it has Historically.

And to go so far as to add tri-bar taillights... completely and utterly stupid...

Hereā€™s hoping this isnā€™t just to soften people up for Hacketts ultimate plane to Hack the Mustang into an SUV IN THE NOT TOO DISTANT FUTURE...

1) Start with the Mach 1 name attached to a sport ute. 2) Then make it look like a mustang. 3) then kill the mustang and rebirth it as an SUV...

The sooner they can this guy the better.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
EVs aren't ready for primetime. There aren't enough charging stations and range varies by driving style. I think hybrids make more sense. This is really ironic coming from Ford when they just took all their small cars in America to the slaughterhouse because they've become niche in America and then they tease this which is actually a niche and a really small one at that.

I completely disagree with the statement that EVs are not ready. I think sales of the Model 3 prove that they are and that the market wants them. Charging tech needs expansion I agree but for the vast majority of people, a 300 mile EV is more then capable of being a daily driver. For long range trips an ICE car makes more sense currently but that's not to say it can't be done in an EV and with level 3 charging becoming more main stream, that advantage of the ICE will quickly vanish.

I think Ford is missing the ball big time... Make your crossover EV but don't make it look like a mustang. Instead, make a mustang EV and Ford would be the first (and only, currently) to offer an EV sports car. (Assuming it would remain affordable)

Seatown Stang

HereWeGo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Im going to have to play devils advocate here and say...I actually like the look and idea. Reminds me of a Tesla SUV. I think it would be pretty cool to have a my mustang and this SUV (model E?) that looks similar in my garage. plus throw in EV and now were really cooking.
Sponsored