Sponsored

VICTORY! Ford WILL NOT use the Mach1 for its new EV SUV!

@Car_Sick_Nick

SAVE THE MACH 1!
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.AllRoadsLeadToTheMotorCity.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1
Hot off the press from Motor Authority:

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1116842_fords-mustang-inspired-electric-suv-wont-use-mach-1-name

Ford's performance-oriented electric SUV due in 2020 won't be called a Mach 1.

Ford teased the possibility of using the name of the cherished Mustang trim for the SUV back in January, but a strong negative response from fans has persuaded the automaker to seek another name.

"We put that out there to evaluate it," Jim Farley, Ford's president of global markets, told Automotive News (subscription required) in an interview published Monday after being quizzed about the name. "There are pros and cons. I don't want to handicap it at this point, but we got a very strong reaction from people."

While it won't borrow the name of the Mustang trim, the vehicle is still expected to borrow Mustang styling cues. Chevrolet did something similar with its 2019 Blazer, which borrows cues from the Camaro.

All Ford will say about the SUV is that it will offer 300 miles of range and be sold globally. The platform will likely be the new modular electric platform Ford confirmed this month. The platform is one of a total five modular platforms that Ford will use going forward.

Production of the SUV was originally slated for Ford’s Flat Rock plant in Michigan but is now expected to take place at a plant in Mexico.

The vehicle is part of Ford's plan to launch 16 electric cars by the end of 2022, some of which are being developed exclusively for the Chinese market. Ford has a dedicated team of engineers working on electric cars. Called Team Edison, the team has greater autonomy than you'd normally find at the automaker in order to accelerate the development process. In addition to electric cars, Ford will also add plug-in hybrid powertrains to core models like the F-150, Escape, Explorer and Mustang in the coming years as part of its electrification plans.
Sponsored

WaltA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang GT Convertible
I don't see this as a victory at all.

There will still be a 4-door, 4WD Mustang with, what, a 6" lift? :(

The last thing I want is a Mustang in my garage that is indistinguishable from my Wrangler, without checking the VIN first.

Laztug

Wanna run dyno slips bro?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Calling out OKC #1 spot after axle back install.

The last thing I want is a Mustang in my garage that is indistinguishable from my Wrangler, without checking the VIN first.
mr_bean_what___meme_by_josael281999-d81mvxb.png

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
There’s literally a whole world full of names they could use instead. To take a name that already has an identity historically wrapped up in a Mustang legend of sorts and use it for an SUV would have diluted the image. I equate it to the Rumble Bee pickup truck.

Reversing course now allows Ford to keep that name in their hip pocket and use it later to market another Mach 1 Mustang, if they so choose. Like the Bullitt, it would likely have a nice little markup for a piece of 60s nostalgia.

Sponsored

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport
were you surprised, Jim? Now fire everyone that suggested using Mach 1 for that abomination

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT

Nope.... according to some websites this is how it might look (however, this is supposedly just a test-mule and at the end it might not look like that).

www.motor1.com/news/263952/fords-new-mustang-based-mach-1/amp/
27EC8BB1-66E2-4B2A-B553-07B83BF1FC16.jpeg

Soo... apparently it won’t look like a “4 door mustang” but a Crossover/Wagon with some Mustang characteristics (maybe something like the Chevrolet Blazer):
AD222C70-7025-43D8-B9B8-FA78B1AE508F.jpeg

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Official rendering (thanks to Top Notch)

So, it might still be more SUV than 4-door Mustang, but it's still going to steal Mustang styling cues :curse:

40986028_1516383338462406_456578465496301568_n.jpg

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
Official rendering (thanks to Top Notch)

So, it might still be more SUV than 4-door Mustang, but it's still going to steal Mustang styling cues :curse:

40986028_1516383338462406_456578465496301568_n.jpg
Fuck me right?
I just posted something about it then Ford teased a rendering of the car.... hahahaha definetely ford hates me, big time :lol:

robsilveri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Mach 1, 18 GT
....begs the question: Are Ford going to use the "Mach 1" name for what it's meant for? When? A 50 year tribute would be fitting - time's running out though!