Sponsored

2015-17 Mustang GT Ford Performance Power Packs

Humphammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2015 Limited Edition 50th Year
Your air filter will get full of road debris a lot more quickly. The stock design pulls most of the air from the front right before it passes to the radiator. The small holes in the stock grill are designed to allow just enough air to flow through to create a low pressure point.

It's a balance between a "ram air" as a completely open grille would be (that is highly susceptible to road debris / contamination and a "fender well" snorkel that has limited flow.
Well you are probably correct, but it's not completely open....The honeycomb is still there I just opened up a few more of the holes in the honeycomb that are right in front of the intake snorkel. You would have to get right up close to the grill and be looking for it to tell anything was different. Nothing bigger than an insect is going through them. I also have a JLT filter condom (picture on page 295) that keeps debris from getting into the filter pleats. It is also treated to shed water as well. If bugs and pebbles get into the intake they will fall to the bottom and a good blast from the top with my leaf blower will blow them right back out the snorkel.

On the positive side something has made my intake air temperature go down. I drove from my home today to Knoxville which is a 65 mile one way trip. On the interstate all the way down and back my intake temperature never got above 4 degrees more that the outside temperature (and actually stayed at 3 most of the time) until I got into stop and go traffic in Knoxville. The outside temp was 73 degrees on the way down and 84 on the way back home. I have checked this many many times on this exact same trip when I was all stock and it never got below 7 degrees more that the outside temp. I don't know for sure how much if any the opening up of the holes in the grill had to do with it because I didn't test it enough to be sure. Can't speak for anyone else but my car at least has lower intake air temps with the new set-up.
Sponsored

Aras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP
That is the no lift shift feature kicking in because you are getting on the throttle before the clutch is all the way out. I agree it is annoying and I wish it could be turned off. I’ve learned to time it right most of the time but I still get the studder once in a while.
I see. What is the point of no lift shifting?

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
On a side note, I thoroughly thrashed my GT this weekend with my Power Pack 2. 80F out and I took a full passenger load for a ride for two 20 minute intervals on back roads.

Mostly 2nd and 3rd gear repeated pulls over and over WOT. As soon as it was safe to do so I was on that throttle topping out 3rd and bouncing off the rev limiter before I'd slow down at a corner and do it again once the road straightened back up.

Actually the car was bit over loaded with passengers, about 750 lbs of passengers (max cargo load with passengers is 685 lbs).

There was no pinging, no heat issues with oil or coolant. It just kept taking the power. I then drove home later that night 155 miles (about 3 hours drive) with my family in the car, no issues. I'm just running a Power Pack 2, Corsa Extreme exhaust and motor craft 5W-20 and motor craft filter. I am not running the alternate timing maps, so it's making full power. It does make a little more power on 93 than 91 as it does learn the fuel grade. I believe the dyno's that Ford Performance posts are from 91 which is their base line. It's adaptive like stock.

That would be why most people get a little more power if they run 93 than the advertised 21 peak HP. A stock 6M PP GT should make 390 HP to the wheels on 93. 1.12 x 390 HP = 435 HP Crank. Factory spec. A Cat Back exhaust with an X-pipe is typically worth about 5 to 7 HP. LMR was running the Ford Performance GT350 style cat back exhaust on their base line run on 93 octane, they got 395 whp, exactly as expect. With the Power Pack 2 they hit a peak of 421 WHP or x 1.12 = 471 Crank HP. Sounds about right if you add in the gains from 93 and the Cat Back exhuast (about 10 to 15 hp combined over 91 on stock exhaust). Ford P. also said they've seen up for 495 Crank HP from their Power Pack 3 with 93 and a full cat back. Their advertised 472 is on an other wise bone stock car running 91. It all adds up just fine and I'd believe every bit of it based on how well the car pulls, still feels strong even with 750 lbs of cargo!

Car has about 750 miles on it now since the Power Pack 2. I run 93 exclusively but not from any particular station. I've used speedway, BP, Sunoco, Krogers and Valero 93. Both Ma and Pa 4 pump low volume stations (known for dirty gas) and high volume 12 pump stations on the highways. Thus far I have had 0 issues beating the crap out of it.

I had the Ford Performance Power Pack on my Ecoboost and never had any issues with that either doing the same stuff. Car had 36k miles when I traded it in. Power Pack on my Ecoboost went in at 15k miles. But I did crack a spark plug insulator and have some pinging with the Livernois 91 calibration on my Ecoboost mustang I had prior, after which I "down graded" to the Ford Performance Power Pack because I wanted the car to last and I'd never looked back. But the EB just wasn't capable of the performance I wanted on the stock turbo and bottom end without sacrificing reliability or using exotic fueling (E85) and a custom tune which was an even bigger issue for me since I had E-check in my county, another boon of the Ford Performance offerings, so I stepped up the to GT this past December. Big improvement and while the GT was about 90% of achieving my vision, it still wasn't quite there and hence the modifications.

With the Power Pack 2 it's good enough. I don't find myself wanting more power, it has just the right amount. It's not a drag car. It's a street / auto x and occasional track car. It pulls really nice from the 4k and up range with that oh so broad mid-range power and keeps pulling all the way to 6500. While it flattens out past 6500 a little, it's still very usable power, making the same power at 7150 RPM that it used to make at the peak at 6500 RPM stock. The 5.0 just loves to rev out and is smooth all the way up. The extra rev range is welcome as well, the car's gearing felt a little too short with 3.73's and a 6800 RPM rev limit. It's just right as is and I can even run smaller diameter 285/35R19's due to the extra rev range and still hit 62 in 2nd and 90 in 3rd. With stock tire sizing I have now (275/40R19 rear and 255/40R19 front), I hit 65 in 2nd and 94 in 3rd. Not too shabby!
Sweet. I think the Coyote is nicely over-engineered...I'm not surprised you had no reliability issues even with letting it stretch its legs a bit. I'm just trying to figure out what's "normal" with the power packs in terms of the off-idle ping, which I think is as Ford expected and what they tell us not to worry about. I've revved it out at WOT (open window, accelerating next to a wall) and heard no ping. Sounded awesome, actually. But like someone else mentioned, just off-idle, with a bit of a load (AC on, hot out, maybe with passengers), there are a couple of pings just for a moment then the car accelerates strongly with no ping. Is that your experience also? You need a car or wall next to you to hear it. I'm on 91 so it may not happen with 93...

Just to tell my experience with PP3: It's awesome, but as people have said, it's really only for the (high speed) track. I'm never going to go to the track, I just like knowing I have 472 under the hood and how the power just keeps getting progressively stronger to and above 7K. I don't regret getting it. But in terms of how the car feels, the torque swells with the stock calibration & manifold is more interesting around town. Stabbing the gas in 2nd at 3K up to 6 is more fun because the power surges in there. Sounds like PP2 is like that only much moreso. PP3 just grows linearly, but is fun if you're willing to rev the hell out of it. I have a feeling the 12-13 Boss 302 is like PP3...linear power but less torquey (and less peak torque: 380 vs 390 lb-ft) than the Gen 1 Coyote and much less than Gen2 w/ PP2.

ChosenJuan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Just ordered the PP2 from LMR, should get here early next week. Any tips/tricks for the install? Did you guys drill a hole like in the video? Hoping it won't be longer than an hour or two.

Sponsored

Humphammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just ordered the PP2 from LMR, should get here early next week. Any tips/tricks for the install? Did you guys drill a hole like in the video? Hoping it won't be longer than an hour or two.
If you are reasonably handy with some simple tools it's a pretty simple quick install. My suggestion is to remove the filter from the intake before trying the install and also install the snorkel into the factory grill opening first, and then snap it into place on the intake.....was much easier to make sure it was all in the right place. I was on the road feeling the new power in two hours from start to finish.

phatsesh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 convertible GT
Pneumatic ratchet will go along way for removing that stupid both on the firewall

ChosenJuan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Finally installed the PP2 today, man I gotta say the torque is great, and throttle response is much better too. Lost an 8mm somewhere in the engine bay so it's either rattling around there right now or fell off while driving haha. I didn't configure anything in the ProCal settings, but the car is stock otherwise so I should be okay with differential + tire size and other settings, right?

Humphammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Finally installed the PP2 today, man I gotta say the torque is great, and throttle response is much better too. Lost an 8mm somewhere in the engine bay so it's either rattling around there right now or fell off while driving haha. I didn't configure anything in the ProCal settings, but the car is stock otherwise so I should be okay with differential + tire size and other settings, right?
I didn't change anything with mine, and it is spot on. I have no pings, surges, or anything other than a little more gitty-up and a nice moan from the exhaust from 3,500 rpm's and up.

Sponsored

ChosenJuan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Did you guys notice more pops/crackles/burbles in the exhaust with the PP2? Mainly with decel

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Did you guys notice more pops/crackles/burbles in the exhaust with the PP2? Mainly with decel
Even with PP1 there is more gurgles