Going from MBRP Race to Street Catback

WileECoyote79

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang Ecoboost w/performance pack
I had the MBRP Race catback installed in about 3 weeks ago and have put about 650 miles on it since. I have to say i love the note when driving around town but hate it when im on the freeway . I would say anything above 1800 rpm is when i notice it the most. I have the ford performance tune so at about 2000 rpm im at about 65 mph. I have disconnected the active noise control sensors and even put in a sound deadening mat in the trunk. I know alot of people say they dont hear it on the freeway but i do.

Im thinking about swapping out the MBRP race for the street. For people who have done this did it make a difference when cruising at highway speeds or is the main difference at lower speeds?
Sponsored

HTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Ecoboost PP
i never had the race, i have street right now. i can say i don't hear any drone on the hwy. its pretty quite till you really get on it.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
i never had the race, i have street right now. i can say i don't hear any drone on the hwy. its pretty quite till you really get on it.
^ Ditto.

sauerkraut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
S550 EcoBeast
The Street is the exact same exhaust note but 20% quieter. If you hear drone with the race, you'll hear it with the street due to being the same note (just not as loud).

All exhausts on this car without a resonator will produce some drone. You may or may no hear it depending on how sensitive you are to it. I have friends tell me they don't hear drone from my MBRP Race, but I sure as heck do.

Sponsored

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
The lack of a resonator and the use of a Y-pipe is what makes an exhaust drone. So most of the aftermarket exhausts will drone. I have the MBRP Race exhausts and I really like how they sound, even inside the cabin. But I wouldn’t say that they are quiet. I wouldn’t expect too much of a difference with the Street version, as they also come with a Y-pipe (they are not resonated).

My advice would be to add a Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator. This will definitely reduce drone significantly and you will get to keep the great sound of the MBRP Race exhausts on the outside. For me this is the best sounding exhaust system for the EcoBoost.

OP
OP
WileECoyote79

WileECoyote79

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
The lack of a resonator and the use of a Y-pipe is what makes an exhaust drone. So most of the aftermarket exhausts will drone. I have the MBRP Race exhausts and I really like how they sound, even inside the cabin. But I wouldn’t say that they are quiet. I wouldn’t expect too much of a difference with the Street version, as they also come with a Y-pipe (they are not resonated).

My advice would be to add a Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator. This will definitely reduce drone significantly and you will get to keep the great sound of the MBRP Race exhausts on the outside. For me this is the best sounding exhaust system for the EcoBoost.
I appreciate the suggestion. I'm new to this whole aftermarket exhaust game. So i assume the resonator goes before the Y-pipe? I contacted MBRP about adding a resonator and they said they don't offer one that will fit the Race. Ill look into this resonator.
MBRP Race Cat Back.JPG

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
We are all here to help each other ;)

Yes the resonator goes before the Y-pipe.

Remember: as a rule of thumb, the resonator has to do with how the exhaust sounds inside the car (what we call "the drone"), the mufflers have to do with how the exhausts sound on the outside.

Check out the Vibrant resonators, as I said above I believe that the best choice for you would be the Ultra Quiet one. Several people in these forums have used it to eliminate drone.

https://vibrantperformance.com/cata..._1032&osCsid=b391fc5b85a0b752b0771906a672f5ff

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
I have the MBRP street catback, its been on about 9 months I think?

I get no drone at highway speeds at all, and I've done a 9 and 12 hour driving day in a 'vert with the top down, its also my daily drive.

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
MBRP Street is definitely quieter and with less drone than the Race. The solution that I suggested is an alternative to replacing one exhaust system with the other.

I personally prefer the unresonated MBRP Race, I love how they sound and how wild they can get once you step on it!

Sponsored

Elgyn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost, MT, DIB, Premium, PP
stock mufflers, no resonator and drone at 1800

OP
OP
WileECoyote79

WileECoyote79

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)

Remember: as a rule of thumb, the resonator has to do with how the exhaust sounds inside the car (what we call "the drone"), the mufflers have to do with how the exhausts sound on the outside.

Check out the Vibrant resonators, as I said above I believe that the best choice for you would be the Ultra Quiet one. Several people in these forums have used it to eliminate drone.

https://vibrantperformance.com/cata..._1032&osCsid=b391fc5b85a0b752b0771906a672f5ff
MBRP Street is definitely quieter and with less drone than the Race. The solution that I suggested is an alternative to replacing one exhaust system with the other.

I personally prefer the unresonated MBRP Race, I love how they sound and how wild they can get once you step on it!
Trust me I appreciate the help and always pay it forward. That's what I love about this forum. This is definitely my primary path since it will be the most economical as well. When I contacted MBRP their solution was to send me the Street as an axle back for over $300. Which I do appreciate their help on the matter.
We both enjoy the same aspects of this exhaust, i am more disappointed in myself for being sensitive to the drone on the highway.
I'll do some searching on the forum to try and find the post that describe where this has already been done. I might contact Vibrant and see if they have any additional information.

sauerkraut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
S550 EcoBeast
I have the MBRP street catback, its been on about 9 months I think?

I get no drone at highway speeds at all, and I've done a 9 and 12 hour driving day in a 'vert with the top down, its also my daily drive.
Drone is more of a cabin thing, meaning top up/windows up. Just rolling my windows down eliminates 80% of the resonance frequencies.

dausmus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost PP
I had the street on my 2015. With the stock cat it was just fine. A little drone but not bad. ....... Then I went catless. Completely different outcome. It droned all the time haha.

Heres a rev video I took back in the days when it was catless.

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP

I'm having Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator put on next week as my current setup has lots of drone between 1K to low-2K RPM. Will share the experience here once installed.

For the OP, here's a good article on Mufflers vs. Resonators.
Sponsored