Sponsored

Engine Either Bogs Severly or Cuts off After Restart After Filling Up Gas

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I remember there being a thread on this topic, but, at least for me, the search functionality of any forum often leads me into some unrelated abyss. Anywho, once again, my car, after filling up gas to full, bogs or completely shuts off after starting. I have had the evap purge solenoid replaced under warranty once already, which solved the issue at the time, but <5,000 miles later the issue is back and even worse. I've had this issue since before I've ever gotten a tune or otherwise modified the car and remember asking about it maybe the second month I had the car in my Mustang club, but of late it is very bad and now the car will bog enough to shut off sometimes.

I know others who are experience this at some level, so I figured I'd make this thread and update y'all on a diagnosis. The car is going back to the dealer that replaced the evap the last time (50 miles away, yay!).

Mechanic stated that he'll look at the new solenoid and the fuel pump itself. I get fuel cut off at AMP with 3/4 a tank when others only get it around 1/3 tank, so... I would love for my fuel pump to be looked it, too!

Hopefully it's not anything worse. Oil analysis are fine thus far.
Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

I remember there being a thread on this topic, but, at least for me, the search functionality of any forum often leads me into some unrelated abyss. Anywho, once again, my car, after filling up gas to full, bogs or completely shuts off after starting. I have had the evap purge solenoid replaced under warranty once already, which solved the issue at the time, but <5,000 miles later the issue is back and even worse. I've had this issue since before I've ever gotten a tune or otherwise modified the car and remember asking about it maybe the second month I had the car in my Mustang club, but of late it is very bad and now the car will bog enough to shut off sometimes.

I know others who are experience this at some level, so I figured I'd make this thread and update y'all on a diagnosis. The car is going back to the dealer that replaced the evap the last time (50 miles away, yay!).

Mechanic stated that he'll look at the new solenoid and the fuel pump itself. I get fuel cut off at AMP with 3/4 a tank when others only get it around 1/3 tank, so... I would love for my fuel pump to be looked it, too!

Hopefully it's not anything worse. Oil analysis are fine thus far.
First thing that comes to my mind is a sensor. First sensor that comes to my mind is a crankshaft position sensor.

Other than that, fuel pressure test.

Good luck cat, hopefully nothing too serious and costly!

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Have you tried returning the tune to stock?

JakeS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic Metallic
My car would big a little when I filled up, but that is when I was running a flex tune and would switch back and forth from e85 to 93. Not sure if you are or not.

OP
OP

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Have you tried returning the tune to stock?
Happened with the stock tune so no. A KAM reset should reset the learned ethanol value and that’d be more likely to work toward a resolution.

Sponsored

OP
OP

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
My car would big a little when I filled up, but that is when I was running a flex tune and would switch back and forth from e85 to 93. Not sure if you are or not.
93 tune. The issue happens regardless of what tune I have.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Evap issue. Sounds like you are sucking raw fuel into where there should only be vapor.
Be cool to dealer and tell them mechanic said car may start failing emissions and get another evap sol.
Need to check evap system to see if obvious issue like disconnected hose or missing/broke parts that keep fuel from being pulled directly in to evap.

OP
OP

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I'm sure the dealer will be cool about it. There's an evap PURGE and an evap VENT valve in the system. I've only had the PURGE replaced. I am also going to look at what my car reads for alcohol content in gasoline. If that's blatantly off the mark, that could be a cause and/or indicative that my fuel pump is not performing properly. We'll see.
Sponsored